Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   cardio with bad knees (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=536325)

Wynton 11-01-2007 05:27 PM

cardio with bad knees

I'm headed to the orthopedist tomorrow, and wouldn't be surprised if he tells me to rest my knee for a while. But I'd like to keep up with as much cardio, or even HIIT type activity, as possible.

What are some activities or exercises I could use if I'm supposed to avoid anything taxing on the knees?

jgunnip 11-01-2007 06:53 PM

Re: cardio with bad knees

Swimming is always a good choice. Great for cardio with little stress on the legs compared to running. Ask your doctor, he'll have some good suggestions.

cbloom 11-01-2007 07:11 PM

Swim swim swim swim

Also you can do most types of yoga-like moves which can be a very good full body cardio workout. Stuff like hindu pushups, side bridges, etc.

Wynton 11-01-2007 09:16 PM

I'm afraid swimming might not be a practical alternative for me, simply because of the location of the nearest indoor pool.

I'm unfamiliar with hindu pushups, side bridges and anything involving yoga. In fact, I always assumed that yoga just involved stretching, rather than cardio, and that was one reason I didn't bother learning about it. Maybe I'll take that idea more seriously now.

cbloom 11-02-2007 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm unfamiliar with hindu pushups, side bridges and anything involving yoga. In fact, I always assumed that yoga just involved stretching, rather than cardio, and that was one reason I didn't bother learning about it. Maybe I'll take that idea more seriously now.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you go to a typical yoga class it won't be very athletic, it's tricky cuz there are all these different types and poseur classes and so on, you have to seek out the right thing. Or you can just make up your own moves. Basically doing stuff like bridges, side bridges, planks, pushups with a plus, hindu pushups, etc.

If you prefer you could basically do the "floor" break dancing (I don't know that it's called) that's the same kind of cardio full-body workout. It's just holding your body and moving around into lots of different positions. It's a good workout for sex.

Wolfram 11-02-2007 06:28 AM

If you can't swim then cycling is probably the next best thing. It doesn't put the weight of your whole body on the knees.

Burdzthewurd 11-03-2007 08:09 AM

Elipticals do it well for me.

Blarg 11-03-2007 01:49 PM

Work a heavy bag and/or speed bag, or do fast shadowboxing or punching drills. You can do great cardio that puts little strain on your legs.