Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Golf (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   How many tee boxes? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=435887)

Zimmer4141 06-25-2007 06:03 PM

How many tee boxes?

Because the other thread that brought this up sucked, I think we should discuss this in its own thread.

As for my $.02, I think 4 tee boxes is fine for most modern courses. As someone brought up, 3 tee boxes can often lead to unnecessarily large gaps between the white and blue tees. 4 tee boxes should be fine, ladies, seniors/high handicap players, regular men's tees, and Championship tees.

tuq 06-25-2007 06:52 PM

Re: How many tee boxes?

[ QUOTE ]
As for my $.02, I think 4 tee boxes is fine for most modern courses.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this, but a poll makes more sense.

offTopic 06-25-2007 07:30 PM

I voted 4/6300/6100. In case 3, I'd try the 6600 if I was feeling frisky and the course wasn't crowded.

I think 4 tees is a good number, but I usually either see 3 or 5. 4 is obviously bad juju, so maybe the course designers are buying into that?

edtost 06-25-2007 07:32 PM

reposted from the other thread:

Problem is, from the course's point of view, they need the champ tees to be long and hard so they can get publicity and tournaments, but almost every male will play from the 2nd to back tee no matter how many sets there are, so play overall will be faster with only three boxes and a bigger gap between men's and champ.

KotOD 06-25-2007 11:14 PM

I still don't understand the hand-wringing over yardage. I play a Par 72 course that is rated 70.5 from the whites at 6060 yards. Should I feel bad I'm not playing the blues at 6600?

esad 06-26-2007 12:27 AM

It should go:

Red
White
Blue
Black

It drives me nuts, when they use [censored] like silver or gold, especially when one course uses gold for seniors another uses gold for the back tees.

Just stick with a standard please.

Also, I'll usually look at the distances of the par 3s if I'm not familiar with a course. If from the tips the par 3s are something like 190, 200, 210 and 225, then I'll play the next up tees. It's more enjoyable to play a course with a range of par 3s from 140-200 rather then have to use long irons or fairway woods on every one. I usually end up playing the blues, but it depends on the course and I'm not a really long hitter, so 470 yard par 4s are not very fun.

Zimmer4141 06-26-2007 12:52 AM

To the polls, I responded 4/7100/6600. 7100 is very long for me, but I think 6300 is too short unless it's a tough/tricky course. I play the second-back tees on most courses I play because the tips are usually around 7000+ and they offer tees that are 6500-7000 that still provide a challenge that isn't excessive. It just seems like having 3 tee boxes squeezes out most golfers that are mid-low handicappers that aren't consistent enough to play a fairly tough course from 7k+.

fatshaft 06-26-2007 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It should go:

Red
White
Blue
Black

It drives me nuts, when they use [censored] like silver or gold, especially when one course uses gold for seniors another uses gold for the back tees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Red - Ladies
Blue - Juniors
Yellow - Boxes
White - Medal
Championship - These are usually white in the UK as they are never playable normally unless it is a CHampionship or a medal is being played from the Championship tees.

fatshaft 06-26-2007 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I'll usually look at the distances of the par 3s if I'm not familiar with a course. If from the tips the par 3s are something like 190, 200, 210 and 225, then I'll play the next up tees.

[/ QUOTE ]My home course medal tees for par 3s goes - 178 yds, 190 yds, 215 yds & 223 yds. It's [censored], the par 5s are all under 500 but it's no fun hitting woods to two of the three and maybe a utility at one of the others. Even if it's an iron it's a narrow green that slopes left to right so difficult to hit. Needless to say, the magic 2s are worth a bit, usually at least a box of balls every time.

maxpower72 06-27-2007 12:08 PM

It really depends with whom I am playing. If I am playing with my "golf buddies" no one over an eight, then we play the back tees. Playing with friends or family I play from wherever they want to play from.

I just had an interesting thought as I was typing. It is very normal for me to play from a different set of tees if it is a mixed foursome or there are older guys playing from the very front but never if it is guys my age we would never think of playing from different tees even if it would make sense to do so.