Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   optimize profit/loss here (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=518124)

hamnegger 10-08-2007 08:43 AM

optimize profit/loss here

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

UTG (t2800)
UTG+1 (t3380)
MP1 (t2920)
MP2 (t3080)
MP3 (t2960)
CO (t2890)
Hero (t3030)
SB (t2980)
BB (t2940)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t20, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t60</font>, MP2 calls t40, Hero calls t40.

Flop: (t190) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t140</font>, MP2 folds, Hero ?[

Pokerfarian 10-08-2007 08:49 AM

Re: optimize profit/loss here

My personal preference is to raise preflop.
On the flop I really don't see much of a reason to raise so I think a call is comfortably best. Rest of the line is rather dependant on cards/his actions/his sizing.

levAA 10-08-2007 08:58 AM

raise preflop

call flop

cheburashka 10-08-2007 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
raise preflop

call flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Lev, why not raise the flop here? If he's on 88/99 (I assume TT+ would have raised pre) or KJ/KT, I think we have a good chance of getting a call. If he's on clubs, we can make him pay. I gotta think our KQ is good here, as he would have raised anything that beats us pre. Sure, he could have luck-boxed with A7/87s/76s, but it seems that he plays this way with a lot more things that we beat than what beat us.

Rupert 10-08-2007 10:34 AM

I wouldn't raise flop because you hate it if you get 4 bet and also you might fold out worse hands so you lose the oppurtunity for your opponent to bluff at you. I think you get more value from KJ/KT/88/99 type hands by calling and letting him bluff than raising and being trapped by hands that beat you or having to fold if you get 4 bet.

Sherman 10-08-2007 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
raise preflop

call flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Sherman 10-08-2007 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
raise preflop

call flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Lev, why not raise the flop here? If he's on 88/99 (I assume TT+ would have raised pre) or KJ/KT, I think we have a good chance of getting a call. If he's on clubs, we can make him pay. I gotta think our KQ is good here, as he would have raised anything that beats us pre. Sure, he could have luck-boxed with A7/87s/76s, but it seems that he plays this way with a lot more things that we beat than what beat us.

[/ QUOTE ]

He did raise PF, so AK is in his range.

We have position with a marginal hand (that has showdown value). If we are ahead, the only draw we let get a "cheap" look is clubs. We don't want to raise here b/c he should almost always fold to a re-raise.

So anyway, our hand has showdown value but we really aren't sure if we want to build a big pot here or not. So let's call and see what happens on the turn.

Edit: BTW, against some opponents with 88-JJ and KT,KJ we gain more by letting him keep firing rather than raising. If we raise and villain has one of these hands, he has to be wary that his hand is beat. Also, calling is good b/c it can look like a flush draw or a slowplayed 7, TP, or an underpair to villain and he has no idea which.

By raising we sort of tell him we have a K.

cheburashka 10-08-2007 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
raise preflop

call flop

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad--my two-year-old kept me up very late last night and got me up very early this morning, so I'm not alert (good thing I'm reading 2+2 and not playing).

Thanks for the analysis!

CobraGoat 10-08-2007 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
raise preflop

call flop

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We have position with a marginal hand (that has showdown value). If we are ahead, the only draw we let get a "cheap" look is clubs. We don't want to raise here b/c he should almost always fold to a re-raise.

So anyway, our hand has showdown value but we really aren't sure if we want to build a big pot here or not. So let's call and see what happens on the turn.

Edit: BTW, against some opponents with 88-JJ and KT,KJ we gain more by letting him keep firing rather than raising. If we raise and villain has one of these hands, he has to be wary that his hand is beat. Also, calling is good b/c it can look like a flush draw or a slowplayed 7, TP, or an underpair to villain and he has no idea which.

By raising we sort of tell him we have a K.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

also, are a lot of you regulars here "regularly" raising KQ in this spot?

creamfillin 10-08-2007 12:57 PM

How many streets are we calling off here?