Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Recommend a Documentary (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=475368)

Misfire 08-12-2007 12:10 AM

Recommend a Documentary

I've recently watched Jesus Camp, Freedom to Fascism, and Waco: The Rules of Engagement. (The later was most excellent).

What other (at least somewhat) political documentaries should I watch? (Preferably free stuff on youtube or google video).

ianlippert 08-12-2007 12:20 AM

Re: Recommend a Documentary

Commanding Heights was pretty good, I think its PBS.

Kaj 08-12-2007 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Waco: The Rules of Engagement. (The later was most excellent).

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a fantastic movie that every American should watch.

I'd recommend Sicko and Gunners Palace as a couple others. Frontline DVD called "Tank Man" was good, too, discussing Tienanmen Square, but more than that.

jstnrgrs 08-12-2007 12:48 AM

links?

Misfire 08-12-2007 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Commanding Heights was pretty good, I think its PBS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen part of this, and I bought my father the corresponding book. I need to watch the whole thing.

bdk3clash 08-12-2007 01:21 AM

I just watched "The Power of Nightmares" which is probably up your alley.

Moseley 08-12-2007 02:41 AM

I've seen "Freedom to Fascism" which, although it has some truth to it, is riddled with propoganga, mis-truths and outright lies.

The most glaring lie:

It claims that "Sensenbrenner's bill HR 1528 requires citizens to spy on their neighbors, including wearing a wire. Refusal would be punishable by a mandatory prison sentence of at least 2 years."

Now, when I saw that, I took it to mean that the FBI could knock on my door, tell me my neighbor is dealing drugs to kids, that they need my assistance in obtaining evidence and that I have no choice but to help them by wearing a wire, or I can go to jail for 2 years.

What it really says:

"`SEC. 425. (a) It shall be unlawful for any person who witnesses or learns of a violation of sections 416(b)(2), 417, 418, 419, 420, 424, or 426 to fail to report the offense to law enforcement officials within 24 hours of witnessing or learning of the violation and thereafter provide full assistance in the investigation, apprehension, and prosecution of the person violating paragraph (a)."

The real text makes it sound like you have to put yourself in harms way and become an officer of the law in order to fullfill your requirement of "full assistance."

Private citizens have rights that prevent the govt from "drafting" them into the law enforcement arena, therefore, "full assistance" is that assistance that would be provided by a "private citizen."

MrMon 08-12-2007 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Waco: The Rules of Engagement. (The later was most excellent).

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a fantastic movie that every American should watch.

I'd recommend Sicko and Gunners Palace as a couple others. Frontline DVD called "Tank Man" was good, too, discussing Tienanmen Square, but more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tank Man is available to view online.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...view/#morelink

GoodCallYouWin 08-12-2007 06:28 AM

This is a great three part documentary film I think you will all enjoy. It's about neo-con's and psychology and it's made by an Englishmen, so it has to be good.

Baby It's Cold Outside
The Phantom Victory
The Shadows in the Cave

Case Closed 08-12-2007 07:12 AM

If you google "Iraq for Sale" you will find yourself a great documentary that can be watched for free on google video.