Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Legislation (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   internet gambling bill to be protested in d.c. on monday (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=231144)

mikeh1975 10-08-2006 07:11 AM

internet gambling bill to be protested in d.c. on monday

Internet Gambling Bill to be Protested in D.C. on Monday

October 8, 2006 - The press will be in Washington D.C. on Monday because it is Columbus Day and while they are filming the day's festivities they will be greeted by protestors to the Internet Gambling Prohibition Bill.

The bill is expected to be signed on Friday the 13th but protestors are requesting that the president reconsider. According to organizer Debbie Richardson, "many things can happen as a result of the protest."

The Port Security Bill is considered to be a highly important piece of legislation that will most definitely be signed by President Bush, Richardson explained to us. She went on to say that Bush is allowed to strip away add on bills to bills he is signing so that they can be sent back to Congress to be debated and voted on as individual bills.

Richardson, who will be in Washington D.C on Sunday in order to set up for Monday's protest, believes it is highly important to voice opinions in Washington before Friday the 13th in order that the president has time to consider the strong opposition to the bill. Richardson also believes it is important to be there on Monday because that is when the press will be there.

"If we don't fight for our rights and our freedom we lose," says Richardson. "We are urging all supporters of freedom to go to Washington to protest the bill that would stop online gaming. Everyone that can possibly go needs to show up and fight for freedom."

Demonstrators will meet in front of the Washington Monument on Monday, October 9th at 9am est. A large turn out is expected.

If you are planning to attend the protest and are unable to make it to the Washington Monument on time, you can meet the protestors in front of the White House on Pennsylvania Ave, Richardson told us.

If you would like more info or need to call to find out where to meet, contact Debbie Richardson by phone: 910-619-0563 or by email: drichardson @ bizec.rr.com.

"Tell your roomies to demonstrate, tell your friends to demonstrate, tell your family to demonstrate. In fact, tell as many people as you can to demonstrate," Richardson says, "if enough people show up to fight for our rights we can make a difference.

"If we let them take this right away from us," she says, "what will be next?"

jrz1972 10-08-2006 07:48 AM

Re: internet gambling bill to be protested in d.c. on monday

[ QUOTE ]
Bush is allowed to strip away add on bills to bills he is signing so that they can be sent back to Congress to be debated and voted on as individual bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

False.

Edit: It's extremely irritating to know that the people who are supposed to be working on our behalf don't even have a firm grasp of basic civics.

satya 10-08-2006 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A large turn out is expected.

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly hope they get one. Otherwise the press reads something like "A handful of protesters gather to oppose the UIGEA which passed both the house and senate by a landslide."

Too bad there was only 1 days notice. I would have made the trip had I known ahead of time.

LPalena 10-08-2006 08:15 AM

Here\'s Our Best Hope

Think about it. Would a President from Texas want to go back to Crawford for a Texas vacation and have to explain to the good old boys why he banned TEXAS Hold 'em? LMAO

Our second best hope: He uses one of those notorious "signing statements" to ignore this part of the Safe Port Act - a bill I'm sure most of us support.

Jack Bando 10-08-2006 09:17 AM

Re: Here\'s Our Best Hope

[ QUOTE ]
Think about it. Would a President from Texas want to go back to Crawford for a Texas vacation and have to explain to the good old boys why he banned TEXAS Hold 'em? LMAO

Our second best hope: He uses one of those notorious "signing statements" to ignore this part of the Safe Port Act - a bill I'm sure most of us support.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's said he was in favor of the House bill that passed in July, he's not signing statementing against it. Most law minds agreee signing statements are worthless anyway.

Chops 10-08-2006 09:50 AM

I'm all for coordinating actions to protest this bill, but who is Debbie Richardson and why are most people only learning about this one day ahead of time? The PPA's website (125,000+ members) doesn't even mention it. A demonstration with a poor turn-out will do much, much more damage perceptionally then no protest at all. Especially when the coordinator says there will be a "large turnout." Anyone on this forum in DC and planning on attending? Would like to hear how it goes...

John Deere 10-08-2006 10:17 AM

I live in Richmond (I'm originally from DC), and I would certainly make the 90-minute trip up to support a protest if I were given more than 24 hours notice. Sorry, but not all of us are full-time pros, and we have jobs to go to tomorrow.

Coy_Roy 10-08-2006 10:20 AM

I live in DC so I'll attend but I must admit this reeks of a hachet job.

4_2_it 10-08-2006 10:27 AM

We need a trip report from DC 2+2er on this Monday afternoon.

Coy_Roy 10-08-2006 10:29 AM

I'll bring my digital cam, hopefully have some pics to post.