Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Razz and skill (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=548660)

Mickey Mouse 11-17-2007 11:59 PM

Razz and skill

Hello,

I've been playing Razz for a week now and was wondering how much skill is there in this poker variant?

My limited poker experience in general and obviously in Razz too tells me there's not much skill involved.

I'd like to ask you guys what's your opinion when it comes to skill in Razz.

Thank you very much.

Doc T River 11-18-2007 01:04 AM

Re: Razz and skill

Boy, is that a Mickey Mouse question! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Lego05 11-18-2007 01:31 AM

I'm sure there's tons of skill involved.

You just suck at it.

P.S.

I suck at it too.

sharkscopeaholic 11-18-2007 03:40 AM

It may not seem like theres much skill in it at first but play a couple thousand hands and reevaluate your opinion. The problem with it for most people is the nuts to start A23 isnt that big of a favorite aginst somehting like 752. NLHE is taking over all of our brains!

MikeBandy 11-18-2007 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello,

I've been playing Razz for a week now and was wondering how much skill is there in this poker variant?

My limited poker experience in general and obviously in Razz too tells me there's not much skill involved.

Thank you very much.

[/ QUOTE ]
I love razz, but there's probably not as much skill involved as there is in hold 'em, Omaha, or seven card stud. In my opinion, there is skill involved. Also, there's a knowledge base that's necessary to win.

PokerKhan 11-18-2007 09:51 AM

There is a lot of skill in Razz. Most of it comes in the form of betting. There is more bluffing in Razz than in most poker games. When you are showing the best low hand, bet it - most of the time. It also depends on how you read your opponent's draw. If you are drawing to something like a weak 8 or a 9, you don't want to be betting into a hand that is likely drawing to a 7 or lower.

Doc T River 11-18-2007 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hello,

Thank you very much.

[/ QUOTE ]
I love razz, but there's probably not as much skill involved as there is in hold 'em, Omaha, or seven card stud. In my opinion, there is skill involved. Also, there's a knowledge base that's necessary to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

In your opinion, there is not as much skill in RAZZ as there is in 7 Card Stud? How can this be given that RAZZ is 7 Card Stud played strictly for low?

NickMPK 11-18-2007 01:22 PM

Once you have mastered the fundamentals, there is not as much skill in Razz as in other forms of poker. The gap between a great player and a good player is relatively small. But the gap between a good player and a bad player is huge.

We've all played in limit hold-em games where someone plays every crap hand, seems to hit it every time, and accumulates a big stack. These players will lose a lot of money in the long term, but will also have some very successful sessions. If you play like this in Razz you will are virtually certain to lose every session. The game destroys the impatient.

Someone else said there is a lot of bluffing in Razz. But there is much less skill to timing these bluffs, because most of the opportunities to bluff are obvious. In Hold-em or Stud, you can always try to [i[represent[/i] a good hand, no matter what you actually have. In Razz, is you have twpo high up-cards on fourth street, you are absolutely powerless.

Mickey Mouse 11-18-2007 03:55 PM

Thanks for the answers, guys.

MikeBandy 11-19-2007 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In your opinion, there is not as much skill in RAZZ as there is in 7 Card Stud? How can this be given that RAZZ is 7 Card Stud played strictly for low?

[/ QUOTE ]

I love razz. There's skill in razz – okay, there's a lot of skill in razz. There's a knowledge base that many players don't have. That's why one can win.

Razz really isn't really seven card stud played for low. But even if it were, there'd be more skill in stud than in razz. There's more skill in the timing of bluffs in stud than in razz. Reading opponents' hands requires more skill in stud than in razz. But razz is a great game.