Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   GG Colorado Rockies - Widow gets playoff share (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=515822)

sethypooh21 10-04-2007 07:39 PM

GG Colorado Rockies - Widow gets playoff share

Rockies vote Coolbaugh's widow full playoff share.

ProfessorBen 10-04-2007 07:41 PM

Re: GG Colorado Rockies - Widow gets playoff share

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Rockies

Mondogarage 10-04-2007 07:46 PM

Classy group of players, for certain.

kidcolin 10-04-2007 07:47 PM

I bet the triceratops voted against it. Dude seems like a dick.

kyleb 10-04-2007 07:48 PM

That is pretty awesome.

cmstaab 10-04-2007 07:49 PM

Classy move there... any idea what the sum could amount too?

sethypooh21 10-04-2007 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Classy move there... any idea what the sum could amount too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Easily mid-5 figures. More the farther they go.

ADLinden 10-04-2007 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is pretty awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Veecee 10-04-2007 11:24 PM

Wow... <3 the Rockies (especially Matt f'n Holliday).

ProfessorBen 10-05-2007 01:03 AM

A full share for the World Series champion St. Louis Cardinals last year was worth $362,173.

NT! 10-05-2007 01:16 AM

that settles it, i'm now rooting for the rockies to win the 'lose to the sox in the WS' raffle

Los Feliz Slim 10-05-2007 01:22 AM

OK, somebody has to be the dick, I guess it'll be me. This is great, don't get me wrong, but for the amount of ball-washing the press is going to give this story I think it needs to be put into perspective. I don't know how many total playoff shares there are, but for the sake of argument let's say 25 (although it's got to be more like 40, right?). 25 x $362,173 = $9,054,325. So let's pretend they don't give her the extra share: $9,054,325/24 = $377,263.54. So, even with that few shares, each guy is giving up $15,090.54. For a guy making the MLB minimum that's actually meaningful, but Todd Helton made $16,600,000 this year, Matt Holliday $4,400,000, on down to Tulowiski at $381,000. The Rockies total payroll is $54,424,000.

So again, better they do this than not. But I'd like to see the Rockies or Todd Helton match whatever she gets or something like that before I start hailing this as some huge act of charity.

MikeyPatriot 10-05-2007 01:25 AM

LFS,

WTF? Are you going to send this woman some money?

chim17 10-05-2007 01:28 AM

That's such a dumb argument. Most people, when they lose someone, get whatever the life insurance policy affords them. The fact people are giving extra is cool.

pepper123 10-05-2007 01:29 AM

OMG LFS WHY ARE YOU HAPPY SHE DIED?!?!

NT! 10-05-2007 01:31 AM

LFS,

yeah, looks like you are the dick alright.

Los Feliz Slim 10-05-2007 01:33 AM

Yes, it's cool. No, I'm not sending her any money. If I stood to make an extra $362,000 in the next month and I knew her, hell yes I would. It's very nice of them all. I have no idea why for some reason I felt the need to point out that a bunch of super-rich people donating $15,000 to a widow who I'm sure really needs the money doesn't exactly make them all Mother Theresas, but there you go.

curtis012 10-05-2007 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OMG LFS WHY ARE YOU HAPPY SHE DIED?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are confused

sethypooh21 10-05-2007 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LFS,

yeah, looks like you are the dick alright.

[/ QUOTE ]

Though I agree the ballwashing will get a bit much...Rick Reilly column in 5...4...3...2...

craig 10-05-2007 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
doesn't exactly make them all Mother Theresas, but there you go.

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes them better people than her I would hope.

Borgland 10-05-2007 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rockies vote Coolbaugh's widow full playoff share.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pure class. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Eagles 10-05-2007 02:14 AM

Meh I basically agree with LFS. Its good that they're doing it and it is the right thing to do for sure. But its not like ZOMG LOOK AT THE ROCKIES THEY REALLY CARE.

wisehandpoker 10-05-2007 04:10 AM

I love that the Rockies did this, and I think LFS is absolutely correct that its not nearly as big a deal as will be made of it. To me, the guy gving 10% of his $10,000 lifetime earnings is committing a greater act of charity than the guy giving 1% of his $1,000,000. Still a nice story though.

Mondogarage 10-05-2007 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, it's cool. No, I'm not sending her any money. If I stood to make an extra $362,000 in the next month and I knew her, hell yes I would. It's very nice of them all. I have no idea why for some reason I felt the need to point out that a bunch of super-rich people donating $15,000 to a widow who I'm sure really needs the money doesn't exactly make them all Mother Theresas, but there you go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, Coolbaugh wasn't even in the Rox organization when damn near any of those players came up (he was a new hire this year, I believe). There is NOTHING less than charitable about this whole damn thing.

As for super rich people - check the salaries of the overall roster. Almost 30-40% of that roster is making MLB minimums or barely above. But that's not the point. A bunch of players are giving a woman whose husband they barely knew (if at all), lots of monies. Don't be a dick.

EPiPeN11 10-05-2007 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Meh I basically agree with LFS. Its good that they're doing it and it is the right thing to do for sure. But its not like ZOMG LOOK AT THE ROCKIES THEY REALLY CARE.

[/ QUOTE ]

vhawk01 10-05-2007 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point though, and then after Helton matches it, well, he still has millions, he could match it again. And then he could probably match it at least one more time before he was broke. And then Bill Gates could match it a few more times.

Really, until everyone has given every spare cent of disposable income to this woman, I think its pretty shallow to consider this some great charitable gesture.

Mondogarage 10-05-2007 11:27 AM

I don't recall seeing anything where any of the Colorado Rockies players at all were looking for praise from anyone for this. Clint Hurdle mentioned it to the press, because he thought it was a cool thing. But they're not trying to impress you, so there's no need for you nits to comment on how uncharitable or stingy Rockies players are.

I suspect folks harshing on this gesture are the type not to do anything for anyone else whatsoever without it being +EV to them, and that's kinda sad, really.

ADLinden 10-05-2007 11:30 AM

some people just have to find the downer in everything....

Karenin 10-05-2007 11:38 AM

Seriously... some people on this forum are pathetic.

offTopic 10-05-2007 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
LFS,

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Triumph36 10-05-2007 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
LFS,

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

wow.

EricLindros 10-05-2007 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't recall seeing anything where any of the Colorado Rockies players at all were looking for praise from anyone for this. Clint Hurdle mentioned it to the press, because he thought it was a cool thing. But they're not trying to impress you, so there's no need for you nits to comment on how uncharitable or stingy Rockies players are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody in this thread has said the Rockies were stingy or uncharitable.

[ QUOTE ]

I suspect folks harshing on this gesture are the type not to do anything for anyone else whatsoever without it being +EV to them, and that's kinda sad, really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody has "harshed" the gesture. They've raised questions about the overly flowery media portrayal of the gesture when they're donating the houses money.

Russ M. 10-05-2007 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
LFS,

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

gah, beat me to it.

Aces McGee 10-05-2007 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
LFS,

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

-McGee

Matt Williams 10-05-2007 01:50 PM

Golic said this morning that it's not about the money, because Coolidge's insurance money is far more than any playoff share.
He said it's more of a symbolic move for his 2 kids so that 20 years from now, they can remember 1 good thing that happened this year; especially if the Rockies win the WS.

anatta 10-05-2007 02:24 PM

Service to others is a big part of my Sadhana.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1

Dids 10-05-2007 02:27 PM

Kind agree with LFS.

Very rich people giving "found money" to somebody is a nice thing, but I woke up to Mike Greenberg hailing this as "THE BEST STORY IN BASEBALL" or something.

Nice notion, I think they're cool for doing it, but it's slightly blown out of perspective.

SL__72 10-05-2007 02:50 PM

Seriously, if the title of a thread is "Someone does something nice for someone else" you should just not open it.

What is the "best story in baseball" today if this isn't? Labron James wearing a Yankees hat to a Yankees/Indians game?

iron81 10-05-2007 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the "best story in baseball" today if this isn't?

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought it was the Cubs getting pounded. That put a smile on my face last night.

kyleb 10-05-2007 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What a [censored].