Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentina (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=314354)

daryn 01-24-2007 10:19 PM

Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentin

nice pics

By-Tor 01-24-2007 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...9_de_julio.jpg
Avenida 9 de Julio. I admit it's an artistic shot, but it's all I have. The widest street in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this an overlay?

It looks like about a 20 second exposure, but if that where the case, those people would have had to be standing real still to not blur.

It's a good pic. I would have loved to see it better composed though from the exact middle of the road, ie. the line in the sidewalk lining up directly in front of the building in the background.

TheMetetron 01-24-2007 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Metetron,

Thank you for doing this thread (you probably saved yourself at least 8 PMs from me [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]). My gf and I have decided to live abroad for a year or 2, and BA sounds really good. It is really important to me to make sure we can swing it (financially) before we go. So...

Financial questions on living abroad:

1.) A common theme in these threads on Thailand, BA, etc. is that the 'cost of living' is lower. Does this mean that, even if you worked in the city and were being paid in the peso (thats the currency, correct?), that your living expenses (rent, food, utilities, etc) are a smaller % of your income than they would be in the US?

Our plan is for me to play poker, and she is going to work wherever she feels like in the area (im assuming being paid in local currency).

2.) Are there any complications for someone staying on the visa you outlined above to find work locally?

3.) As I mentioned, I will be playing poker. You said that you have a swiss account, and that minimum balances to open an account are 5k +. We will probably have about 5k exactly at the time of the move. If I deposit 5k into a swiss account can I then withdraw 1k? Or is 5k the minimum balance? Can I open another account internationally for less?

4.) How exactly does currency exchange work? If I play in US$, can I make withdrawls in BA from an international account in US$? Do you have to convert this to the peso or can you spend US$ in BA? Any info on this topic is appreciated.

5.) You said you rent a 1br funrished in Recoleta for 1k/month. Could i find a decent one for less (~500-800) in the same area? If I grind out ~ 1.5k a month (I am trying to budget for a 'worst case scnario') and my gf works in thec city part-time. will we be comfortable financially?

As you can see, I know virtually nothing on this topic. Any other info you think may be relevent would be appreciated.

thanks again,
GS

[/ QUOTE ]

GS,

1) No, the cost of living in lower if you are paid in US Dollars. If you are being paid in pesos it is probably only marginally lower. You plan can still work though.

2) She will be working illegally if she gets a job like this. Doesn't mean I don't know a lot of people who do it. Most Americans I know teach English here and get paid somewhere between 18-30 pesos per hour depending on where. This usually required taking a class first to be certified which is about a month long and runs about $1,000 if I am correct. Some of my friends who speak somewhat fluent Spanish are considering getting other jobs as a waitress or something similar. Others still (like poker players) work online and make USD.

3) You should probably not attempt to open a Swiss account. If you are barely at the minimum they aren't going to appreciate it very much. I'd look into a Caribbean island nation for your banking needs.

4) For me, I make money in USD from poker. I get that money wired to my USD Swiss Bank Account. When I went to take money out I transfer a certain amount to my Swiss Franc (CHF) Swiss Bank Account and use my Maestro card to take money out of an ATM. You get the interbank exchange rate with a small ($3-4) ATM fee. I also have a Argentine Peso account if I needed to wire money here in ARS, so I could do the currency exchange all at my bank in Switzerland.

USD are not really accepted outside of renting apartments, spanish classes, or private drivers to/from the airport. Back when the peso was pegged to the dollar at 1:1, they used to be interchangeable as currency everywhere in the city. Now, you have to pay in pesos.

5) I paid 1k/mo for mine. You can certainly find places for $500 for a 1 bedroom, even in the same area. The furnishings will probably be older and the building not quite as nice or new, but it's doable for sure.

If you are making 4,500 pesos per month and she makes say even 1,000 pesos a month, after paying for an apartment you should have 3,000-4,000 pesos to live which should be plenty. Even if your rent is $800, at a worse case scenario that gives you 2,100 pesos a month to live on. Could you live on $2,100 a month in the united states after paying for rent? Sure you could.

TheMetetron 01-24-2007 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you were going down there to live for a year or longer, is there anything you would recommend bringing from the US? Things you wish you had brought? I assume any electronics (computer, ipod, carmera, etc) would be cheaper to bring from the US.

Another random question is whether most poker sites ship there. Like FFP items and stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely bring any electronics you want to have (that is dual voltage) because otherwise it is going to cost about 50% more than in the states. Other than that, there isn't really anything too necessary that you can't find here.

I have no idea about Stars shipping here. The mail here isn't super reliable unless it is sent certified so I wouldn't really chance it.

TheMetetron 01-24-2007 10:56 PM

Those were the most useful responses I gave in the last thread. Feel free to ask anything else you may want to know.

ad617 01-24-2007 11:13 PM

Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentina

Is it easy to get a hold of blow there? (Assuming the visitor is traveling alone without a preexsting connect or anything)

Also, is weed legal there?

Thx for reopening this thread!

--AD

mark_foley 01-24-2007 11:14 PM

In your experience how are Americans treated by the local populace? How receptive are the girls? Is the level of anti-Americanism higher there than in Western Europe?

Dids 01-24-2007 11:21 PM

What happened to the Swedish chick?

JaBlue 01-24-2007 11:44 PM

How would you compare Argentina to other South American countries? Where would you most like to study abroad if you were in school? What towns would you suggest looking into that are not as multicultural as buenos aires?

TheMetetron 01-24-2007 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it easy to get a hold of blow there? (Assuming the visitor is traveling alone without a preexsting connect or anything)

Also, is weed legal there?

Thx for reopening this thread!

--AD

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea about anything harder than weed, but I'm sure its easier to smuggle it into Argentina than into the USA, so I'm sure you can get it if you want.

Weed, if you hang out in the right bars and give off the right vibe, you shouldn't have too much trouble, but the weed isn't nearly as good. I haven't bought any so I can't give you any more specifics on the process. It isn't legal.

As a general rule, if you ever get in a bind with cops, just give them 100 pesos and go about your business.