Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Post deleted by Mat Sklansky (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=222300)

farang0 09-29-2006 10:30 AM

Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

ahahah, Mine does that sometimes too.

That [censored] really chokes you.

BigPoppa 09-29-2006 11:07 AM

Was going to Central America from Jan-April, but now you've got me thinking about Thailand. Damn my utter lack of willpower when it comes to girls.

A few questions:

1) Are internet cafes set up so I can use my own laptop?

2) Is it a problem meeting/dating girls if you obviously aren't there for the long haul?

3) Are the girls as approachable in cities other than BKK?
(not sure I could handle the noise/pollution/general aggravation of the big city)

4) Is petty theft a problem?
Should I only bring stuff that won't it kill me to get stolen?
(was thinking about buying a cheap laptop instead of bringing my nice one)

5) Is malaria a problem either in Chiang Mai or in the islands?

6) Is the traffic and pollution as bad in BKK as they say?

Thanks

TheDudeAbides 09-29-2006 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious about this too. I took Larium when I was there and it gave me the worst nightmares you could ever imagine. Woke up screaming in a pool of sweat and decided that I'd rather risk malaria than go through that again. I was told by a doctor up there that malaria isn't really a risk unless you're within 5 miles or so from the Burmese border. Is that true?

farang0 09-29-2006 11:45 AM

dont worry about malaria

dc_publius 09-29-2006 12:01 PM

Great thread. My goal is to to go to a Muai Thai camp out there one of these days. This gives me extra reason to go.

beats 09-29-2006 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was going to Central America from Jan-April, but now you've got me thinking about Thailand. Damn my utter lack of willpower when it comes to girls.

A few questions:

1) Are internet cafes set up so I can use my own laptop?

2) Is it a problem meeting/dating girls if you obviously aren't there for the long haul?

3) Are the girls as approachable in cities other than BKK?
(not sure I could handle the noise/pollution/general aggravation of the big city)

4) Is petty theft a problem?
Should I only bring stuff that won't it kill me to get stolen?
(was thinking about buying a cheap laptop instead of bringing my nice one)

6) Is the traffic and pollution as bad in BKK as they say?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I haven't had any problems using my laptop in various internet cafes. Wireless is available in many locations too. Here's a link to a big list of free Wifi spots in Thailand. http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/wifi.htm

2. I haven't heard of anyone ever having a problem meeting girls in this country.

3. Approachable indeed.

4. Never had a problem, just don't leave anything in a taxi or you'll never see it again. If you somehow remembered the taxi number, you have a chance.

5. Not a problem, but use repellent if mosquitos like you and you are outside during evening hours.

6. It's bad but I don't drive and I know to take the skytrain or subway during peak traffic times. Taxi's at night are usually no problem. Today I was down at Lumpinee park and the air was very nice. Walking to and from the park it was smoggy as hell of course. After it rains it is usually cleaned up for a while.

09-29-2006 01:14 PM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

PokerFink 09-29-2006 01:37 PM

Degen and Co,

When in Thailand, what do you miss from America?

oreopimp 09-29-2006 01:49 PM

Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand *DELETED*

Post deleted by oreopimp

IlPug 09-29-2006 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Degen and Co,

When in Thailand, what do you miss from America?

[/ QUOTE ]

on the odd occasion, i miss some organization and efficiency!

-pug

xxThe_Lebowskixx 09-29-2006 01:56 PM

i think being self employed is a big plus in thailand. from what ive seen/read/heard, having to work in thailand can be very fustrating/suicidal. i cant imagine being crammed into skytrain at 7am every day, and the 5pm rush hour back.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 09-29-2006 01:57 PM

this hasnt been mentioned, but seafood sickly cheap here.

oreopimp 09-29-2006 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as for hotness, thai women exude feminity. tehre is jsut something so intoxicating and sexy about them. maybe its because they are so conditioned to please their husband/bf. when i get free time, im going to write up an essay on difference between thai girl and western girl approach to relationship.

[/ QUOTE ]

plz do.

PokerFink 09-29-2006 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You mentioned the women being easier to pick up, are americans or caucasians popular over there?

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been gone over a lot, the basics are that whites/foreigners, or "farang" or looked up to by thai girls for a number of reasons. As such, it's easy to pick up girls.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 09-29-2006 02:17 PM

If there are 50 girls and 50 guys in a room, and only one guy has blonde hair and blue eyes, what do you think is going to happen?

PokerFink 09-29-2006 02:29 PM

That guy gets 2 girls, 48 guys get 1 girl each, and Bruiser strikes out?

xxThe_Lebowskixx 09-29-2006 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ahahah, Mine does that sometimes too.

That [censored] really chokes you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine made spaghettit tonight. I start eating it, and I am wondering if I crazy because it is burning my mouth. Then I realize that there are about a million chilli peppers diced up inside!

shag 09-29-2006 03:57 PM

1) Do you guys know of any Americans doing something stupid and getting arrested and put in jail for a long time? I mean doing something stupid as in getting drunk and trying to buy drugs or something along those lines... Not hurting or killing someone or raping a thai girl or something.

Honestly this thread is making me seriously consider taking 3 months and going to Thailand.

dinopoker 09-29-2006 04:03 PM

Okay, a couple more questions:

How is the TV over there? Can you get any western shows? Do they have SKY? In the cheaper hotels you described, do they even have TV's?

Also, let's say I decided to take your advice and just fly there and play it by ear - what's the best way to find a cheap hotel for the first few nights?

octopi 09-29-2006 05:10 PM

Degen:

Visiting soon, have some specific q's about Bangkok.

Spa: I want to send my parents to a great day spa. I don't know if you or your lady friend has ever been pampered at such a place, and I know there are cheaper places available, but I am looking for insight into either the Banyan Tree Spa or the Oriental's Spa. I know they are 'paeng mak' but this is a gift, so I'm not worried.

Dim Sum: Ever been? Can you recommend a place? I'm willing to go to Chinatown, but anywhere is alright.

farang0 09-29-2006 07:59 PM

-Spas are everywhere

-Dim sum is everywhere. The nicer hotels usually have a decent dim sum restaurant

-Hotels with TV's are everywhere

-Shag: Dont do stupid [censored] when you are drunk and you will be fine. Although I have done my fair share of drunk antics but I never did anything to get me in trouble.

-Seafood IS insanely cheap. Plus, you can eat it fresh every single day. There is nothing like going and pucking up fresh crabs and prawns mmmmmmmmm

-I dont miss american at all but I miss my family sometimes

ToDissemble 09-29-2006 08:05 PM

Where can i find the Lotus of Siam degen? I live on the west side.

09-29-2006 08:07 PM

farang0 09-29-2006 08:19 PM

This thread needs more Thai chicks dancing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSprM...ed&search=

farang0 09-29-2006 08:22 PM

When I lived in the south, one day Honda did this promotion for their motorbikes, I guess they had a new model ome out or something: They took a flatbed type truck with the motorbike on it and had 4 of the hottest thai chicks I have ever seen almost naked and grinding on each other and all over the bike and [censored]. I was driving at the time so I decided to alter my intended route so I could look at the eye candy for a few more blocks.

Hot chicks are all over the place. They are used to promote everything too.

In thailand there are no highering practices. So you can only hire hot chicks, thin chicks, etc. When you place an add in the paper you can specifically say you will only hire beautiful girls and request a photo right away. I think its a great system.

ddubois 09-29-2006 08:28 PM

Would you recommend Thailand to someone with a wife and two toddlers?

09-29-2006 08:35 PM

xxThe_Lebowskixx 09-29-2006 08:40 PM

dim sum is everywhere. god i love it. You will find it in many BTS stations. YOu can get 8 pieces for like $1.

You can find it in MK chain restaurants and in tons of restaurants across thailand. its called

canome giib (thai is tonal so its hard to spell to how it sounds)

xxThe_Lebowskixx 09-29-2006 08:42 PM

girls in pizza hut were short skirts and cowboy hats. hot!

kurosh 09-29-2006 08:44 PM

HEY GUYS I AM COMING TO THAILAND NOW. WHO AM I STAYING WITH?

09-29-2006 08:47 PM

kurosh 09-29-2006 08:49 PM

sigh... wish I could come. Stupid [censored] family and gf and lease.

wuarhg 09-29-2006 09:07 PM

I'm coming to visit, it is decided now.

wuarhg 09-29-2006 09:12 PM

One thing though, I want to be able to play poker on my laptop but if I bring my laptop I can't do the backpacking around the islands and whatnot without leaving my laptop somewhere or carrying it with me which wouldn't be that fun.

So I dunno, should I bring my laptop and leave it somewhere, I mean you are the master advice giver, how will I do this?

farang0 09-29-2006 09:20 PM

I backpacked with my laptop for several months. You can secure it places.

I have UBC sat tv and get HBO and [censored] like that but I dont really watch tv. There is a decent amount of stuff to keep me busy without it.

Pirated dvd's are awesome. $2.50 for a dvd. Same for software, etc.

Some people travel here with kids and babies but I dont see the point. Thailand doesnt have much entertainment directed at children so I dont know what they would do.

09-29-2006 09:21 PM

wuarhg 09-29-2006 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I brought my laptop first trip. I mean on the few occasions I got to use it, it was awesome. But most of the time its just an unnecessary massive piece of luggage, and you will pick up tons more luggage as you'll want to buy tons of clothes and stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya I was thinking about this. Mainly wanting to have laptop with me if I want to get in some hands, but probably I wont get in any hands. I mean, how many hands did you get in the first trip you took, or where you even planning on playing any poker?

My plan was to play 30k hands but I guess that could be done at an internet café, but pretty grindish 4 tabling without my DB/PAhud and stuff?

BigPoppa 09-29-2006 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So I dunno, should I bring my laptop and leave it somewhere, I mean you are the master advice giver, how will I do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I brought my laptop first trip. I mean on the few occasions I got to use it, it was awesome. But most of the time its just an unnecessary massive piece of luggage, and you will pick up tons more luggage as you'll want to buy tons of clothes and stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can stay on the road indefinitely as long as I make enough online to pay my way, so would likely end up bringing the extra massive piece of luggage.

BTW: The idiot who's your new avatar is one of my Senators. I can't wait to get out of this place.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 09-29-2006 09:33 PM

http://www.rmf9.com/images/dimsum.jpg

farang0 09-29-2006 09:41 PM

damnit, Im gonna have to go get some dim sum now you bastard