Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   cbloom's log - Rippetoe & Frozen Shoulder (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=355079)

cbloom 03-15-2007 07:37 PM

Re: cbloom\'s log - Rippetoe & Frozen Shoulder

[ QUOTE ]
You seem to disagree about this though?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't have long-term experience with doing ATG so I can't really comment. At the moment I'm doing the hack squats and can't really get below parallel because the plates hit the ground. Once I start doing regular squats I'll be trying to do ATG.

Rippetoe A today
bench 45
hack squat 65
dead lift 75

Bench is getting limited cuz my shoulder was acting up.
I screwed up and shoulda done more on hack squat. I need to start taking my weight #'s with me to the gym I remembered it wrong.

cbloom 03-20-2007 04:22 PM

Rippetoe A today
bench 47.5
hack squat 70
dead lift 80

God damn I hate hack squats so much, can't wait to switch to the real thing.

I can't believe you're supposed to increase weight every *workout* not every week. That's crazy tough, I need to start taking smaller steps up in weight.

skunkworks 03-20-2007 04:57 PM

cbloom,

Thankfully when you start up on Rippetoe's regimen, you should start real low. He suggests pushing the big big lifts (squat, deadlift) by 10 lbs each week. The lifts that involve fewer, smaller muscle groups will progress much slower. He recommends 5 lbs. jumps for benching, and I think even smaller jumps (fractional weights like 1.25 lb.) for overhead pressing. Don't remember off the top of my head what he recommends for the other lifts.

It's rough but it's meant to get you up to speed as quick as possible by taking advantage of "beginner gains". Since you're dealing with the shoulder though, I would be super conservative since the likelihood of injury is higher, plus the fact that injuring that shoulder again would force you to shut down everything.

cbloom 03-22-2007 06:25 PM

Ok, I have a problem/question :

I should do my Rippetoe B today but I was up real late drinking last night and am still tired and hung over. What's better - should I go in and just do my best and have probably a poor workout, or should I just take the day off and do it tomorrow?

skunkworks 03-22-2007 06:31 PM

Take a day off. From a programming perspective, as long as you still get 3 workouts done in the week, pushing the workout one day later won't matter. However, going in and having a crappy workout where you can't exert maximum strength will definitely have an effect on the next workout.

Wu36 03-22-2007 07:07 PM

cbloom, zercher squats might be a decent alternative to the hacks (i've never had shoulder problems so this could be terrible advice, but its worth a try). i googled them and found this illustration, not great but it gets the point across.
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/exerc...rchersquat.htm

I'm interested to see how all you guys do on this program, never heard anything about it before.

CharlieDontSurf 03-22-2007 07:07 PM

What is harder on your knee's hams...hack squats or barbel/smith machine squats? I think I'm gonna try this plan out in a couple of weeks at my new gym but my legs are really bad in terms of flexability etc. My knees are a bit achy and ive tried just testing them out by doing body weight squats and based on how tight my muscles/knee feel just doing those...the thought of doing weighted squats kinda freaks me out.

Wu36 03-22-2007 07:10 PM

charlie, check out this video i posted in another thread. this is the only way ive been able to instantly teach proper squat form.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...81301858251744
i'm inflexible as [censored] and can still squat ATF.

as for your question, hack squats are rough on my knees personally, and i can do every other variation without trouble. hopefully someone else can chime in.

cbloom 03-23-2007 03:46 PM

skunk, thanks, so glad I took the day off yesterday, felt strong today and kicked it out :

Rippetoe B :
Hack Squat 75 (x2+bar)
Pendlay Row 32.5 (x2+bar)
Dumbell Bench 55

(I can't do the military presses I should be doing third here so I'm still experimenting with what to fill in, tried dumbell benches today)

One question I have : on the squat & the bench today, the first two sets I did a clean 5 reps, then the third set I crapped out around 3 reps. Should I go ahead and bump up the weight next time, or do the same weight again until I can get a full clean 3x5 ?

As another experiment I tried doing a warmup set of hack squats with a mixed grip (one hand forward one hand backward) and it was way easier - if I do normal grip I really struggle to hold it. Dunno how I feel about that. Hacks are so f**king hard to do right because the grip is hard, keeping your shoulders back is really hard, and if you don't use perfect form you ram the bar into the back of your leg on the way up and get stuck there.

bluef0x 03-23-2007 04:58 PM

Doesn't Rippetoe say to drop 15 lbs when you fail to finish a set?