Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   About the Forums (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   How to use VBulletin (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=557168)

Hattifnatt 11-29-2007 03:51 PM

Re: How to use VBulletin

[ QUOTE ]
Pros and Cons of vB and UBB

vB
Pro: search feature, multiple-PM-recipients, etc
Con: THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA

UBB
Pro: everyone is already using it and it's working fine
Con: none

[/ QUOTE ]
agree, please dont change it.

metsandfinsfan 11-29-2007 03:53 PM

anyone crying about change is being silly

Imrahil 11-29-2007 03:55 PM

WTF don't change I love the look of 2+2 right now!!!!!!

iron81 11-29-2007 03:58 PM

The decision to change to VBulletin was made months ago. Since that time, Chuck, Ryan and several mods have put in countless hours and spent significant money to get VBulletin ready. The switch is a done deal and those complaining are spitting into the wind.

eviljeff 11-29-2007 04:00 PM

I try not to do this, but...

[ ] How to use VBulletin

TheMetetron 11-29-2007 04:09 PM

So from what I can see of it, the new 2+2 looks nice. I can't tell too much since if I try to view any of the ported forums I get the "your ass doesn't have the right to do this" message.

Seems like the switch will be fairly quick and not take the whole day most likely, right?

TheWorstPlayer 11-29-2007 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like the switch will be fairly quick and not take the whole day most likely, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Passaman 11-29-2007 04:39 PM

Cool. So, we go from basically NO SEARCH FUNCTION WHATSOEVER to having a search function. Bring on vB!!!

metsandfinsfan 11-29-2007 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cool. So, we go from basically NO SEARCH FUNCTION WHATSOEVER to having a search function. Bring on vB!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

we have a good search function here

the only thing i like better on vb is search this thread by username and keywords

cooker3 11-29-2007 04:57 PM

V Bulletin is so far superior to UBB, it's not even close.
This will make 2+2 much much more usable which was always by far it's biggest problem.
Bring it on

chadmack 11-29-2007 05:04 PM

omg if u are bitching about a little change that u won't remember after a week of using the new forums anyway... ur a huge pussy

iron81 11-29-2007 05:07 PM

I heard that accessing the forum through a cell phone will be much easier. Any tips how to do that? I'm just starting to use my relatively cheap phone for internet browsing.

Spechel EDD 11-29-2007 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
omg if u are bitching about a little change that u won't remember after a week of using the new forums anyway... ur a huge pussy

[/ QUOTE ]

didnt you like ask people on the internet about how to talk to a girl or was that someone else

chadmack 11-29-2007 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

didnt you like ask people on the internet about how to talk to a girl or was that someone else

[/ QUOTE ]

someone else iirc but maybe i'm wrong... i think i was just bitching cause i wanted to bone my friend's lil sister but couldn't cause he'd get pissed

chadmack 11-29-2007 05:26 PM

btw, ur brother is emo

*TT* 11-29-2007 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard that accessing the forum through a cell phone will be much easier. Any tips how to do that? I'm just starting to use my relatively cheap phone for internet browsing.

[/ QUOTE ]

it might make sense to create a phone-only user with the mobi skin.

Borodog 11-29-2007 05:37 PM

DO THE CODE TAGS USE FIXED WIDTH FONT OR NOT? <-- all that really matters

yellowbluebus 11-29-2007 06:00 PM

I found this script useful. It involves Greasemonkey Firefox Add-on.

[ QUOTE ]

Endless vBulletin Forum Pages

Makes vBulletin forum pages infinitely long instead of a limited number of posts per page by loading more when you scroll to near the bottom of the page.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/3972

FlyWf 11-29-2007 06:01 PM

Will there be bracket quote=postername bracket functionality or it's equivalent? That's pretty clutch on other forums, helps with long threads.

On a similar note, will there be threaded mode?

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be clear, the mobile style is not meant to be selected ever. Mobile devices will trigger the software to switch and display things in Mobi automatically.

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Will there be bracket quote=postername bracket functionality or it's equivalent? That's pretty clutch on other forums, helps with long threads.

On a similar note, will there be threaded mode?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

Borodog 11-29-2007 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The decision to change to VBulletin was made months ago. Since that time, Chuck, Ryan and several mods have put in countless hours and spent significant money to get VBulletin ready. The switch is a done deal and those complaining are begging to not make it into the new database.

[/ QUOTE ]

pvn 11-29-2007 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I try not to do this, but...

[ ] How to use VBulletin

[/ QUOTE ]

for the nits:

HOW TO USE VB:

1) click on stuff

2) read posts

3) click on other stuff

4) make posts

ANY QUESTIONS?

BluffTHIS! 11-29-2007 06:26 PM

pvn,

Pretty nice guide there. However for some of these retarts I think you're going to have to define "click". Might as well add that before niss and Midge come along with that question.

nath 11-29-2007 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ANY QUESTIONS?

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is your avatar so busy?

*TT* 11-29-2007 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be clear, the mobile style is not meant to be selected ever. Mobile devices will trigger the software to switch and display things in Mobi automatically.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ryan - what about new style mobile phones like the iTouch or any phones with Opera built in, I assume it wont switch right? This is only for WAP gateways I assume? Will there be a seperate WAP url?

BluffTHIS! 11-29-2007 06:31 PM

Who you callin a WAP? You a damn POLAK or MICK or somethin?

*TT* 11-29-2007 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who you callin a WAP? You a damn POLAK or MICK or somethin?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im a McHeeb

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ryan - what about new style mobile phones like the iTouch or any phones with Opera built in, I assume it wont switch right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Specific mobile useragent strings are set not to trigger the style. Right now that's just the iPhone. We'll do most requests for this as it's no trouble at all. But the mobile style will still be better for most all current mobile devices. I use opera mini and wouldn't think of using normal styles on mine.

*TT* 11-29-2007 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ryan - what about new style mobile phones like the iTouch or any phones with Opera built in, I assume it wont switch right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Specific mobile useragent strings are set not to trigger the style. Right now that's just the iPhone. We'll do most requests for this as it's no trouble at all. But the mobile style will still be better for most all current mobile devices. I use opera mini and wouldn't think of using normal styles on mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

same with me, opera mini on an Archos 605 (800x480 screen resolution - hot!). It works fine using the standard skin but I imagine the mobi skin will be much faster.

Spechel EDD 11-29-2007 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw, ur brother is emo

[/ QUOTE ]

half brother but w/e

Chomp 11-29-2007 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a screenshot w/ the ported infopop skin. It's not the default anymore, but hopefully it assuage some of you who are scared of change.

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/8...oforom2.th.png

[/ QUOTE ]

That looks great.

The Man Mulcahey 11-29-2007 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here's a screenshot w/ the ported infopop skin. It's not the default anymore, but hopefully it assuage some of you who are scared of change.

[/ QUOTE ]

That looks great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but I can't see why you need the weather add-on for Firefox if you have a window anywhere in your house.

XXXNoahXXX 11-29-2007 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That looks great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but I can't see why you need the weather add-on for Firefox if you have a window anywhere in your house.

[/ QUOTE ]

because when i look out the window i can't see to next tuesday?

XXXNoahXXX 11-29-2007 09:37 PM

I propose that we get the Special Sklansky Forum going again, but replace David with Mat.

Doc T River 11-29-2007 09:45 PM

Well, I still consider myself new to the forum, but I like the present look and am not a big fan of change. If there is a valid reason for the change (and there seems to be), I can live with it. As long as you are not changing for change's sake like another website I frequent seems to do a lot.

MrWookie 11-29-2007 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That looks great.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I took this screen shot from my work computer, and no, I have no windows there.

Mischman 11-29-2007 10:01 PM

Cant wait for the update.

When using Vbulletin sometimes it displays Username, avatar, etc vertically beside posts and some times horizontally above posts. Will users get to pick or will it be one way?

Troll_Inc 11-29-2007 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

English only at the tables please...

MrWookie 11-29-2007 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cant wait for the update.

When using Vbulletin sometimes it displays Username, avatar, etc vertically beside posts and some times horizontally above posts. Will users get to pick or will it be one way?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can pick