Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   how bad was losing these chips?? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=493172)

MaxWeiss 09-04-2007 05:16 AM

how bad was losing these chips??

I'm new at tournaments, so I just don't know how stupid this was. B&M tourney at the Oasis Open in Mesquite. There's two tables and 17 players left in the tournament, nine places pay, t552K in chips. Before the hand started I had t68K (think I was chip leader but not positive), villian #1 had t37k and villian #2 had about t20K. The blinds where 400-800 with a 200 ante, and I had been stealing quite a lot since I got some chips, as the blinds and antes totaled over t2000 each time.

I was middle position, folded to me, I made it t3000 to go and the button (v#1) and the big blind (v#2) called. I had Ac7d and the flop was Kc9c7c. The blind checked and I bet t6000. V#1 raised to t16K total and V#2 went all in after hemming and hawing for a little while. Given the situation and those players, even with that action, I thought there was about 50% chance that neither of them had a flush.

Anyway, as you can probably guess I went over the top of V#2, and V#1 was very upset but called for the rest of his stack. He called with KhTd and V#2 in the blind had check-pushed with a made flush with QcJc.

My question is how bad was that push on my part and how bad was it that I got in that situation to begin with?? I could have coasted to the money and probably still picked up many more chips stealing, but in my head that was my chance to lock up the win so I thought I should take it because even if I lost both the main and side pots, (which I did after a Th came on the turn and no ace, seven, or club came on the river) I would still be left with an average chip stack.

Is that thinking totally wrong at this stage of the tournament?? I'm thinking I should have just folded and then pounded on the table preflop more just like I had been doing. But I just don't know for sure.

Like I said, I'm new at MTTs, so please tell me what to do and how stupid I was! Thanks!!!

JammyDodga 09-04-2007 06:12 AM

Re: how bad was losing these chips??

Pretty much standard all the way if you ask me.

Pre-flop - fine if people have been folding, although if people are calling with Qj and K10, id say that they are onto the fact you are stealing a lot, so I might tighten up a bit.

Flop, c-bet is fine here, although I might CRAI to get some fold equity. With these stack sizes, I think I'm probably happy getting it all in on this flop.

As played, you are getting almost 5 to 1 on a call and you may as well get it all in here since everyone is pot committed, and you certainly aren't folding for 15k in a 60 k pot.

I think this is fine, sometimes you lose when you play OK, it happens.

Tackleberry 09-04-2007 06:47 AM

I don´t like the shove on the flop. You have nearly no FE against V#1 and you have no need to protect as you´re drawing to the nuts, so what did you try to accomplish?

On the flop you can be nearly 100% sure, that you are actually behind - so you look to improve (making 2-pair / flush).

As V#2 went all-in the chance to get a free-card on the turn should be very high. So I just had flat-called the shove of V#2 and hoped that V#1 just called as well. In this case I assume it to be rather certain that V#1 will NOT bet the turn and we can see if we improve by the river. If not, we can safely fold - which would have saved us a stack of 45k, still being in a very healthy position.

As played here, you invested additional 14k to win 14k (the side-pot) which means 1:1, but you´re just slightly better than 2:1 to improve, so a shove is bad here.

JammyDodga 09-04-2007 07:06 AM

Perhaps you are right tackleberry, I don't think it makes much difference however. You are actually ahead of k10 here I think because you have so many outs, but I guess you couldn't know that.

The reason I said push is to avoid a difficult decision on the on the river. I don't really like folding when I'm getting almost 5 to 1, even though I know I'm almost certainly behind.

KidSensation 09-04-2007 11:29 AM

I don't like flat-calling the flop after V2's push. What do we do on the turn UI if V1 pushes? Our hand value dramatically decreases if we don't allow ourselves to see all 5 cards here with our draw to the nuts.

I think OP's line here is fine. You win this whole pot, you have a huge stack and a great shot at taking this whole tourney down. You improve to 2 pair or trips and you take a 34k sidepot down and still come out ahead. You lose the hand and you still have a stack you can work with. WP NH UL.

JammyDodga 09-05-2007 07:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like flat-calling the flop after V2's push. What do we do on the turn UI if V1 pushes?

[/ QUOTE ]

We call instantly, we have more than good enough odds to draw just to the flush, ignoring the A and the 7. I don't think the turn decision is the problem. Its more what happens on the river.

levAA 09-05-2007 07:27 AM

You have the right odds to call, but not for shoving, as you have 0 FE. if villain 1 pushes behind you, you have again the right odds to call - sounds the same as if we push ourselfs, but it isn't.