Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Headphones!!! (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=375380)

astroglide 04-10-2007 06:25 PM

Re: Headphones!!!

[ QUOTE ]
(btw, for anybody that rides a motorcycle and listens to music, these earbuds are incredible. They fit very nicely under a full face helmet, block almost all wind noise and allow you to listen to your music at a reasonable level so you don't [censored] up your hearing.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, both motorcycles and earbuds are bad for your hearing.

PITTM 04-10-2007 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, at this point that's a little more than I'm willing to spend on an amp but maybe sometime in the future when I'm looking for a new toy. Thanks for the recommendation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Price range? My old amp, the Portaphile X3 is only 109.

Neko 04-10-2007 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've read those complaints about the Etymotic's sound before, but from what I've read the concesus seems to be that they are more comfortable then Shure's.

I've never used either, but I know my dad replaced his e2c's with ER-6's due to the e2c's not being comfortable and he is really happy with the swap.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I mostly use the foam ear pieces rather than the rubber flanged ones and I think they're very comfortable. I have often worn them for up to 5 or 6 hours at a time. I haven't tried the shures.

http://img12.echo.cx/img12/6003/shureetysjpg11sc.jpg

PITTM 04-10-2007 06:29 PM

yeah, i used the rubber ones. the foamies were damaged in transit and i never got to use them.

Neko 04-10-2007 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(btw, for anybody that rides a motorcycle and listens to music, these earbuds are incredible. They fit very nicely under a full face helmet, block almost all wind noise and allow you to listen to your music at a reasonable level so you don't [censored] up your hearing.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, both motorcycles and earbuds are bad for your hearing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm already very conscious of the effects of motorcycling on hearing. I always wear some form of ear protection when motorcycling and I think you're crazy not too. Obviously if you listen to your earbuds at retarded levels they're going to damage your hearing too. If you use them at a reasonable level, then you're not going to damage your hearing.

The main reason I bought the ER6i's is because they provide something like 30dB of isolation and I can therefore listen to music at a very low level underneath my helmet. ie. they serve as hearing protection as well as sounding great.

Thanks for you concern though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Neko 04-10-2007 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, at this point that's a little more than I'm willing to spend on an amp but maybe sometime in the future when I'm looking for a new toy. Thanks for the recommendation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Price range? My old amp, the Portaphile X3 is only 109.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's much more reasonable, thanks.

PITTM 04-10-2007 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'd really like to hear opinions on normal headsets in the 150-300 range though. I'll be looking for a pair soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

This HAS to be either the Sennheiser HD580 or the HD595 depending on whether you want amped or unamped. The HD580 has been my home headphone for a few years and they can be had for ~200 new and around 100 used.

gusmahler 04-10-2007 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'd really like to hear opinions on normal headsets in the 150-300 range though. I'll be looking for a pair soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

This HAS to be either the Sennheiser HD580 or the HD595 depending on whether you want amped or unamped. The HD580 has been my home headphone for a few years and they can be had for ~200 new and around 100 used.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazon sells the HD580 for $150. I think I'll be picking up a pair.

Also in that price range is Grado. I've always found them to be uncomfortable. But many people swear by them. Amazon sells them too. Here's the $150 model: http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-SR-...5486&sr=1-9

PITTM 04-10-2007 06:56 PM

i really really dislike grado's a lot. I have heard pretty much everything in the grado line, sr-60 through RS-1 and ive even heard the old PS-1s and stuff. They all sound horrid imo. The HF-1, a grado phone that was made exclusively for head-fi members sounds okay as it has a wood chamber, but i honestly think grados are the worst of the big name headphone companies. Just take a pair apart and realize the construction is thin, cheap plastic put together with glue with cotton balls stuffed inside and youll say "hmm, this looks like a jr. high kid built it, no thanks". thats about how i feel.

ltb 04-10-2007 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have the E2C, decent sound, but they break all the time. I've been through 4 pairs in the past 2.5 yrs. I do abuse them though, so I'm sure that's contributory (working out, smushed in a book bag, etc.). I bought a replacement plan for the second one, even though Shure does include a 2 yr guarantee. I'm just too lazy to send it out and prefer just going to the store and picking up a new set.

I don't have experience with the other Shure earbuds though so I can't help you compare.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a pair of E2Cs as well - they started shorting out all the time about a month ago (about a year and 2 months after I got them). Mailed them to Shure (without receipt), got a replacement back via UPS a week later. I like them a lot..just hoping this pair doesn't crap out like the last ones did.