Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Poorly played AKo? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=512317)

Malifous 09-30-2007 06:56 AM

Poorly played AKo?

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG+1 posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 (poster) checks, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, Button calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.20 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.20 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.20 BB

Villain is 53/11 and has been capping with bottom pair and then calling till the river, not very good id say. I feel like i shouldve just called down after the flop. Felt like he would cap with flushdraw too.

Fantam 09-30-2007 07:36 AM

Re: Poorly played AKo?

In this hand villain is always betting instead of calling to the river after the flop.

Anyway, your 3-bet on the flop looks fine. After villain capped the flop, I would probably have called down.

I would not have check raised villain on the river. Although you had overtaken AT, which villain may have raised with pf, you were still behind TT &amp; 55, which were also possible hands for him to have played this way.

If you had actually seen villain cap with a flush draw on the flop in a previous hand, then I may have led the turn and called down to a raise.

Malifous 09-30-2007 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In this hand villain is always betting instead of calling to the river after the flop.

Anyway, your 3-bet on the flop looks fine. After villain capped the flop, I would probably have called down.

I would not have check raised villain on the river. Although you had overtaken AT, which villain may have raised with pf, you were still behind TT &amp; 55, which were also possible hands for him to have played this way.

If you had actually seen villain cap with a flush draw on the flop in a previous hand, then I may have led the turn and called down to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried to represent the jack wich was a mistake since i as a villain would definately call it down.

OziBattler 09-30-2007 07:50 AM

Malifous, honestly I wouldnt bother trying to 'represent' against this villian. just value bet value bet value bet. I too dont like the river CR. I think i prefer betting right into him on the turn as well. You get better control over how many bets go in on each street that way (even maniacs can check behind sometimes). The river CR plan isnt something I like cos you get pwned when beat and you have to call a 3 bet against a maniac and you also risk him checking it through if he is FOS.

Malifous 09-30-2007 08:27 AM

Hmm, yeah makes sense. C/r isnt doing any good since i lose the potcontrol. I lost the pot he had TT.

Bulletproof Monk 09-30-2007 08:58 AM

i may cap the river but its very close. the rest is fine. suggesting we dont c/r this river is completely results oriented thinking and you would have gotten different responses if you had cut the action before vil 3bet

guys - that river pulls us ahead of A5 and AT, buttons raise preflop but not cap forces us to discount AA, A5 and 55, however AT and TT is very likely

combination analysis gives us 6 combos of AT and 6 of A5, with 3 combos of TT

after discounting we are probably left with something like:

4.5 combos we lose to (3 TT, 1 AJ, .5 55), and
10 combos we are beating (6 AT, 3 A5, 1 AQ/other random hands)

making a river c/r clearly correct.

after he 3bets the c/r we obviously discount the crap out of A5 and AQ, as well as AT. however 2:1 rule no longer holds due to 4 bet cap, meaning we only need 51% equity at this point.... the question is whether the discount overrides the drop in equity required.

actually after analysis i think a river cap is overdoing it, and this hand is played fine

OziBattler 09-30-2007 09:23 AM

part of my previous point was that basically that even if a CR is right on the river here...its not to 'represent the Jack' because that just wont work adn this guy probably wont care. if it is to extract max value then thats a better reason.

Bullet, since you love to do it, im curious...assign a percentage range to this river line as opposed to other lines (eg 80/20 CR versus donk). surely its not 100/0?

to look at a higher level, I think that in this sort of spots when HU with a loony it partly comes down to how tolerant we are and how much of a high variance line we want to take. eg a CR river plan can net 0-3 bets if we dont cap but donking gaurantees at least one and lets us just call a raise if we want. this of course may mean we dont always take the absolute best line but the best line isnt always clear (Im talking generally now).

Im totally cool with mixing up our play in this sort of spots lest we get predictable...its good to screw with a lag/maniac...if we cant read them very well then lets at least turn the tables and gogogo

Bulletproof Monk 09-30-2007 09:30 AM

hmm honestly with a decent river aggression i think we should be c/r here very close to 100%

if we think he is likely to check behind AT and A5 then sure a donk is fine, but if he is betting any Ax then we pretty much have to c/r

(btw: if we bet and he raises i dont think we can ever 3bet... we are pretty much forced to b/c)

Bulletproof Monk 09-30-2007 09:32 AM

if we are looking at metagame and we are gonna be playing many pots with this guy then donking the river with a strong hand like this is also good because he may fold A-hi type bluffs later on in a session (obviously he is never bluffing or folding in this particular hand but it sets us up later say... on a board of 38935 with a hand liek TQ or something), but i dont think we need to consider river meta against a 55/11 at FR ML

Smurph64 09-30-2007 04:48 PM

river raise does nothing for you here. if there was value in the raise then you should have done it on the turn.