Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Legislation (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Kiss any online gambling legislation goodbye, thanks to a bad Ref (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=459604)

MiltonFriedman 07-24-2007 04:34 PM

Kiss any online gambling legislation goodbye, thanks to a bad Ref

Any Federal online gambling legislation has less than a snowball's chance in Hell after the NBA scandal.

If you think that any online gambling legislation will be passed or even has a shot, can you explain why ?

Ron Burgundy 07-24-2007 04:37 PM

Re: Kiss any online gambling legislation goodbye, thanks to a bad Ref

That's why Frank put in the sports league opt-out thingy.

Kurn, son of Mogh 07-24-2007 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's why Frank put in the sports league opt-out thingy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. If sports-betting were legalized in the Bill, it already didn't have a snowball's chance in hell, crooked ref or no crooked ref.

JPFisher55 07-24-2007 04:43 PM

They may be long shots, but for the duration of this Congress and administration, the iMEGA lawsuit or WTO litigation are the best chances for improvement for US online gamblers.

Richas 07-24-2007 04:43 PM

I don't know anything about the NBA thingy but let us have a look at when sporting events have been fixed by whoom and why.

1919 Redsocks. Gambling illegal the mob acting as the bookie fixed it. Cricket, numerous examples of illegal bookmakers in India and Pakistan fixing matches they even alleged a murder (that turned out not to be).

With legal bookmakers and betting exchanges unusual betting patterns are detected and reported to the sporting authorities. Honest bookies want honest games. Open legal bookies detect corruption rather than their illegal counterparts who create it.

Kurn, son of Mogh 07-24-2007 04:46 PM

1919 Redsocks. Gambling illegal the mob acting as the bookie fixed it.

Uh, it was the White Sox.

Great movie about it. "Eight Men Out"

Skallagrim 07-24-2007 05:16 PM

Have not seen Gaboonviper around for a while so I guess its nice that Milton is filling in, even though his posts are not near as funny [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] .

Legal betting on sports is, indeed, an extremely tough sell politically. Its also what will tremendously complicate any negotiating of the WTO dispute.

But it aint that hard to separate poker from sports betting, both politically and legislatively. Rep. Wexler's skill games protection act should not be affected by the Ref scandal in anyway.

Skallagrim

JPFisher55 07-24-2007 07:34 PM

I hope you are right Skall, passage of Rep. Wexler's bill would be great.

BigAlK 07-24-2007 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have not seen Gaboonviper around for a while ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm quite certain that Armageddon day came, and Gaboonviper was no more. Self-fullfilling prophecy and all.

CPOSteve 07-24-2007 11:16 PM

Well, I'm going to have to agree with Milton here. We all may be able to clearly see the difference between poker and sports betting, but the general public and the politicians don't draw that distinction. The story today, and for the forseeable future, is gambling = bad. There are very few politicians on either side of the aisle who want to fly in the face of something like this, especially when the issue is as minor as this one. Yes it's important to us, but it's not even a blip on the radar of most of Congress.

I will continue to hold out hope, but I would agree that things are looking pretty bleak for legislation.