Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   AJs in BB approaching $55 final table as bigstack (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=68867)

SEABEAST 03-23-2006 04:45 PM

AJs in BB approaching $55 final table as bigstack

Hi, I feel like I really butchered this hand from a $55 MTT earlier.

Hero has 80K in chips, currently the second highest chipcount from 14 remaining players. Blinds are 1500/3000/75, it's folded around to the button who raises to 8000 total. The button has 40K chips left after putting in the 8K. Hero was only recently moved to the table and has no read on the button. Hero has AJdd in the BB, SB folds. Call/Reraise/Push? And why?

Spee 03-23-2006 05:10 PM

Re: AJs in BB approaching $55 final table as bigstack

Probably not pushing here, but it is situational. You haven't seen him, but he hasn't seen you either.

I'm definitely seeing a flop here. Whether I would call, push or reraise depends on a lot of other factors, the main one being the status of the shortest stacks on both tables.

If you push and blow it, you still aren't in bad shape and will still likely make the FT.

But based on the limited set of information provided, I'm probably just calling and seeing a flop. If the flop hits me nicely, with Ace and/or Jack, then I'm probably going to look for a check raise (betting out regardless on the turn if the opponent also checks).

If the flop hits me nicely with a pair of diamonds then I'm probably looking to bet out for slightly more than half of of the opponents stack, and be prepared to go to the wall if the opponent shoves.

You're in a nice position, but it's not so nice that you want to get caught in a bad play. Chances are if you make a hand, you have a chance to bust this guy and make it to the FT as the chip leader.

No fear here, but no foolishness either.

nath 03-23-2006 06:14 PM

Really? I'm like always pushing here.

willie 03-23-2006 06:19 PM

i think i push cause you're ahead of most of his range and even if he has a pair below 9s he might come off them.

illegit 03-23-2006 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi, I feel like I really butchered this hand from a $55 MTT earlier.

Hero has 80K in chips, currently the second highest chipcount from 14 remaining players. Blinds are 1500/3000/75, it's folded around to the button who raises to 8000 total. The button has 40K chips left after putting in the 8K. Hero was only recently moved to the table and has no read on the button. Hero has AJdd in the BB, SB folds. Call/Reraise/Push? And why?

[/ QUOTE ]
Push. You have a good hand given the circumstances. you have FE. If you get called and lose you still have some chips to work with. If you push and he folds you picked up like 13K or something. A nice chunk. He could easily be on a steal in which case if you call and whiff you'll probably give up to his cbet, and folding the best hand is always gay. We're really worried about him holding JJ+, AQ+ and certainly an unknown button's opening range is immensely larger than that.

LearnedfromTV 03-23-2006 06:45 PM

Push.

1. 14K in chips out there.

2. You are ahead of his range. This is a button raise from someone with enough chips to hurt you and who knows he has enough chips to hurt you. This means

a) he's more likely to steal-raise with plans to fold, and

b) he's more likely to respect your push if he has a marginal "good enough to raise but I'm not sure what to do if he reraises" hand like 22-88, KQ (hands you would prefer fold). (Whether these hands should actually be raised if you plan on folding to the reraise is a different question).

3. He may even be weak tight enough to fold 99, TT, AQ. It is, after all, his TOURNAMENT LIFE at stake, not yours.

Nez477 03-23-2006 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Push.

1. 14K in chips out there.

2. You are ahead of his range. This is a button raise from someone with enough chips to hurt you and who knows he has enough chips to hurt you. This means

a) he's more likely to steal-raise with plans to fold, and

b) he's more likely to respect your push if he has a marginal "good enough to raise but I'm not sure what to do if he reraises" hand like 22-88, KQ (hands you would prefer fold). (Whether these hands should actually be raised if you plan on folding to the reraise is a different question).

3. He may even be weak tight enough to fold 99, TT, AQ. It is, after all, his TOURNAMENT LIFE at stake, not yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post sir.

Brad

Eagles 03-23-2006 06:52 PM

Push unless he is super super tight you are way ahead of his range if you make a smaller reraise and he shoves you probally have to call so just repush.

Jiggymike 03-23-2006 07:32 PM

I like the posts that say push and their reasoning but I'm not sure how good of an idea it is. I don't know if I like putting half my stack at risk with AJs, especially when I think we are hoping for a fold. True, if he calls you, youre in okay shape unless he has AA but it just seems like a big move to make with that hand. Stealing isn't all that likely against a big stack towards the end of a tournament, so I think I eliminate some of his weaker range. True he might have KQ but you are putting half your stack at risk to be only a 60-40 favorite whereas if you simply call this hand you aren't putting too much of your stack at risk. With AK or a midpair, I'd probably go right over the top of the raiser; however with AJs, I think I wait for a flop and see where I stand. I must say, though, with those great above posts, I wouldn't fault anyone for pushing with that reasoning.

Spee 03-23-2006 07:42 PM

I'd rather see a flop and play poker here.

If the opponent has any pair, then I'm shoving as a fairly large dog, which is not really desired. The shove has value only if the opponent folds.

If the opponent has a bigger Ace, then he isn't folding and I'm a very big dog, again not desirable.

If the opponent has less than an Ace or a weak Ace and is unpaired, then I'm a pretty large favorite and I don't want to push him off the pot without extracting some penalty from him. This is especially true if he raised with something like A9 or A8.

2x the blinds is not really a steal raise. It is more of a pot building raise that doesn't mind a fold, but would also play as a favorite. That also tends to make me.

Another reason for not pushing is to be able to push a smsll pair off the pot with a scary flop, without risking additional chips. For example, if the opponent has something like 66 or 77 and the flop comes K-Q-blank or Q-T-9 or something like that, then the underpair could easily be semibluffed off the pot.