Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   NYC Poker Robbery and Shooting (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=537313)

BBMW 11-03-2007 12:29 AM

NYC Poker Robbery and Shooting

A new club that had just opened to replace a recently closed NYC club got robbed tonight. One player was shot. The shooting victim's condition is unknown at this point.

eviljeff 11-03-2007 12:34 AM

Re: NYC Poker Robbery and Shooting

hope the player is ok. wow, scary. this might be an instance in which people should not be discouraged from coming forth with any details that might help catch the perps.

*TT* 11-03-2007 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hope the player is ok. wow, scary. this might be an instance in which people should not be discouraged from coming forth with any details that might help catch the perps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am investigating, already placed 4 calls and I have lots more to do tonight. The staff/owners will work with the police, there will be video and MANY witnesses (unless the video was taken). Hang tight, lets wait till I get word how to proceed. It might take a day because my contact there is probably deep in the mud right now.

black00gt 11-03-2007 12:40 AM

I was there. There were four robbers with guns. The guy was shot in the side of the chest. He looked like he was in pretty bad shape. The robbers were there at least 10 minutes and stuck around 3 minutes after he had been shot. They called it in as soon as the guys left but it still took 15 minutes for police/EMS response. I really hope the guy is ok.

black00gt 11-03-2007 12:41 AM

Please let us know how the guy who was shot is doing.

*TT* 11-03-2007 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please let us know how the guy who was shot is doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course, I'll pass along a lot of info once I get it, as much as its ok - I assume we will probably allow more than usual because lives far outweigh poker. There is a chance for legal reasons to protect the victim that we cannot share details but I doubt that will be the case - usually this kind of info spreads fast.

BBMW 11-03-2007 12:59 AM

I do know the first name of and some descriptive information about the victim. If you want me to post it I will.

PlzHelpMe 11-03-2007 12:59 AM

was he not cooperating with the gunmen or did they just shoot him umprovoked.

BBMW 11-03-2007 01:01 AM

I can't answer that.

black00gt 11-03-2007 01:03 AM

He wasn't doing anything. They shot him for no reason.

*TT* 11-03-2007 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do know the first name og and some descriptive information about the victim. If you want me to post it I will.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just found out who it was thanks to the help of another poster, if its the man I am thinking of its even sadder - he was a good guy. Lets not disclose this on the forum out of respect for his family, tomorrow when it hits the newspapers/TV its fair game - I am 99% positive it will be made public.

BBMW 11-03-2007 01:20 AM

Okay.

I'm wondering if this will make the news. Have you gotten any info on his condition?

*TT* 11-03-2007 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay.

I'm wondering if this will make the news. Have you gotten any info on his condition?

[/ QUOTE ]

nothing yet. One of my contacts just left the management team and the other switched locations so I didn't have a direct in with the new room yet. A third friend was going to be a partner but he backed out. So besides people on the scene and friends who work elsewhere thats all I have access to today for info. This is the first new room in a long time where we didnt have someone on the inside feeding me security details - I am as in the dark as you guys are this time. And I am very sad.

I'd say the chances are very high this will be in the press. I am surprised they let the two of you leave the club, you were witnesses. Contact the precinct, let them know you were there and fill them in. They will need information - you did nothing wrong by being there.

BBMW 11-03-2007 01:34 AM

Can't say I saw anything of use. The robbers were masked, and pretty much everyone was down on the floor.

fve 11-03-2007 01:37 AM

i don't want to post anything inappropriate. i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i here the victim did not make it. this comes from a great source

*TT* 11-03-2007 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't want to post anything inappropriate. i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i here the victim did not make it. this comes from a great source

[/ QUOTE ]

I just got the call, he didn't survive. The shooting was an accident, a robber dropped the gun on the floor and he was shot. This happened while they were going around robbing the players.

fve 11-03-2007 01:40 AM

he was by far one of the nicest people to ever play at these places. always pleasant

*TT* 11-03-2007 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he was by far one of the nicest people to ever play at these places. always pleasant

[/ QUOTE ]

If its who i think it is I agree, used to play with him at Playstation years ago. I'm still trying to confirm that it was him.

fve 11-03-2007 01:45 AM

everyone i spoke to is describing the same person. i really do think it was him. what a shame.

MrBananagrabber 11-03-2007 02:03 AM

This question is for TT.

Of course names are forbidden, but can you confirm that this was the place that opened really recently?

*TT* 11-03-2007 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This question is for TT.

Of course names are forbidden, but can you confirm that this was the place that opened really recently?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. All of the details are expected to be in the news this week, just hang tight guys.... once the news is out then its fair game here.

LooseStool 11-03-2007 02:12 AM

My god do I have a pit in my stomach right now. I was at the Players Club when it was raided and I was at 61st St when it was robbed. After that gun was aimed at my head at 61st St I swore off underground rooms forever. I cannot believe any of you still play at these places. AC, Foxwoods, internet and home games is all I do now. I cannot believe a life was lost tonight. I probably know who it was if he played at Playstation.

I am so sick right now.

MrBananagrabber 11-03-2007 02:12 AM

I was there until 2 hours before it happened. Beautiful clean place, around 3/4 of the tables were full.

MrBananagrabber 11-03-2007 02:29 AM

TT, do you object to people linking to news acounts from this thread as they come in?

*TT* 11-03-2007 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TT, do you object to people linking to news acounts from this thread as they come in?

[/ QUOTE ]

of course not, once its in the news then anything discussed within the article is fair game. Just don't discuss details not in the articles because it might hurt other businesses/players by accident.

banzi 11-03-2007 03:35 AM

Just hit the news:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11032007...dup_634387.htm

*TT* 11-03-2007 03:37 AM

November 3, 2007 -- A high-stakes poker player was shot and critically wounded during a botched robbery of an illegal card game in the Flatiron District last night.

The 47-year-old man was blasted once in the abdomen by a shotgun after one of the bandits got skittish, dropped his sawed-off then accidentally fired off a round as he was picking it up, witnesses and police sources said.

The man was taken to St. Vincent's Hospital where he was clinging to life last night, officials said.

The trio of thugs stormed into the high-stakes game, at an office on the seventh floor of 251 5th Ave. just after 11 p.m. and attempted to steal the pot, sources said.

The three men - who were dressed in all black - then fled from the building, sources said.

The robbers, who called themselves, "One," "Two" and "Three," fled with a couple of thousand dollars said an eyewitness.

"It looked like they had done this before, they told us to dump our cash on the table," one player told The Post.

The game was held in an illegal poker room that was set up at the beginning of the week as a haven for card sharks looking for some quick action.

None of the other players were injured during the robbery.

EWS87 11-03-2007 03:52 AM

edited out by *TT* because I find his request really offensive. This is a time to think about the safety of friends and the victim's family, who the victim is doesn't matter until its released on the news. Can you imagine if someone told one of his family members in passing by accident before the police did? That would be horrible - we should extend as much respect for him and his family as we can by waiting.

MrBananagrabber 11-03-2007 03:53 AM

Does anyone know when the last time something like this (shots fired in a robbery, not just a robbery) happened in NYC is?

kblitz9 11-03-2007 08:44 AM

You're curious who it might be? Are you for real!??? The guy is dead you AHOLE!

jjshabado 11-03-2007 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're curious who it might be? Are you for real!??? The guy is dead you AHOLE!

[/ QUOTE ]

Relax. He wants to know if he knows the guy. This is an internet forum and its easy to interpret posts in different ways, but try not to jump down his throat just because you assumed it was written in one way.

This will be a pretty tense thread, it doesn't need posts like this right from the start.

F0rtysxity 11-03-2007 10:20 AM

Condolences to any friends and families of the victim.

Bad news for the NYC poker scene. I don't see another larger 9 table card room opening up again for a while. That could be it for the larger rooms.

kblitz9 11-03-2007 10:26 AM

I'm not going to relax. I find it offensive that someone wants to know who this guy is because he may have played a game with him one night and he's curious?? He clearly doesn't know ANYBODY from this club, reading comprehension 101 for you jjshabado. I do know people from this club and find it even more offensive that you don't view his post as ridiculous.

*TT* 11-03-2007 11:17 AM

NY Post acticle

Daily News

NY1 - with broadcast news video

Newsday
The news hasn't released the victims name yet, please respect his family but not disclosing it on this board or via PM.

hgretty 11-03-2007 12:05 PM

This article has his name:
http://www.1010wins.com/Cops:-Card-P...obbery/1170062

gregorio 11-03-2007 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This article has his name

[/ QUOTE ]
And two sentences after they give his name, the write "His identity wasn't released."

davidlong14 11-03-2007 12:17 PM

...this is just horrible.

scott1 11-03-2007 01:05 PM

Difficult news for anyone that's ever played poker in NYC. I can't say I know the victim but my thoughts are with his friends and family today.

Can anyone give a loose description of the physical security? Does the space have the two secure door setup on the 7th floor? Since the news gave the address, I presume this is an acceptable topic.

Durs522 11-03-2007 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NY Post acticle

Daily News

NY1 - with broadcast news video

Newsday
The news hasn't released the victims name yet, please respect his family but not disclosing it on this board or via PM.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Newsday article has his name in it. This really is a tragedy. I don't think I've ever played with him but my thoughts and prayers go out to his family. It could have been any one of us.

rooster7667 11-03-2007 01:37 PM

My thoughts are with his family- I can't imagine what they must be going through right now.

I have played with Frank on several occasions, and he was always a pleasure to be around. What a tragedy. It could have been any of us- that is indeed a scary thought.

It's also an eye-opener to the realities of the world we live in. It's disgusting what some people are willing to do for money. I must say, I feel like I have had a false sense of security over the past years, playing in these NYC clubs. I don't think i am going to continue playing after this incident, as its just not worth the risk (for me anyway). Atlantic city will just have to do.