Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Bank robber wins 1 mil on lottery ticket-but hes not allowed play (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=557127)

mo42nyy 11-29-2007 10:18 AM

Bank robber wins 1 mil on lottery ticket-but hes not allowed play

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071128/...lottery_winner

BOSTON - The winner of a $1 million lottery scratch ticket may not be so lucky after all: He's a convicted bank robber who isn't supposed to gamble. Timothy Elliott faces a Dec. 7 court hearing over whether he violated his probation when he bought the $10 ticket for the $800 Million Spectacular game at a supermarket in Hyannis.
ADVERTISEMENT

Elliott was placed on five years' probation after pleading guilty in October 2006 to unarmed robbery for a January 2006 heist at a bank on Cape Cod. Under terms of his probation, he "may not gamble, purchase lottery tickets or visit an establishment where gaming is conducted, including restaurants where Keno may be played."

Elliott, 55, has collected the first of 20 annual $50,000 checks from the Massachusetts lottery commission. A picture of Elliott, holding his first check, was posted on the lottery's Web site Monday, though it was removed by Wednesday.

As part of his sentence, Elliott was put under the care of the state Mental Health Department and sent to a hospital for treatment, and state officials refused Wednesday to say whether he was still being treated.

A telephone number for Elliott could not immediately be located Wednesday, and it was not clear whether he had a lawyer.

The lottery routinely cross references the names of winners with the state Revenue Department to see if they owe back taxes or child support, lottery spokesman Dan Rosenfeld said. In those cases, winnings go straight to the Revenue Department.

But in this case, it will be up to the court to determine what will happen with Elliott's winnings.

"This is kind of new territory," he said.

meleader2 11-29-2007 10:20 AM

Re: Bank robber wins 1 mil on lottery ticket-but hes not allowed play

[ QUOTE ]
"This is kind of new territory," he said.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's how they end the article? wtf

XXXNoahXXX 11-29-2007 10:23 AM

Given your undertitle, you should be happy thay system is gone.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/2...nner_bx105.jpg

gusmahler 11-29-2007 11:52 AM

I thought this would bring up the question of whether the lottery is "gambling." But since the prohibition specifically says "no lottery," this is an open/shut case.

AquaSwing 11-29-2007 12:01 PM

Give him the 50k/yr and have him deal with the violation of his probation.

MortalWombat 11-29-2007 12:09 PM

I always wondered whatever happened to ZZ Top.

BaldElephant 11-29-2007 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. This would be the fairest way IMO.

Astyanax 11-29-2007 12:50 PM

You must know the story in Britain about the convicted rapist who bought a ticket whilst on day release and scooped the £7 million jackpot..sickening!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3554008.stm

edit: fixed

mo42nyy 11-29-2007 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to be the only way to do it. Unless ofcoruse there is a law that says he isnt allowed to profit from banned activities kinds of like murderers arent allowed to benefit financially from selling books about their crimes.

bwana devil 11-29-2007 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agree

it would seem if the lotto winnings were voided, previous felons who played the lotto and lost would have an argument that they deserve a refund on their losing tickets.

the state cant have it both ways and keep the money from purchased tickets in these cases and void the winnings if by chance one of these tickets wins.

tuq 11-29-2007 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the state cant have it both ways and keep the money from purchased tickets in these cases and void the winnings if by chance one of these tickets wins.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed, but the cynic in me can see the state somehow finding a way to keep it for themselves so they can re-allocate it in some retarded fashion. It's found money to them.

neuroman 11-29-2007 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Does Massachusetts have elected judges? Next campaign cycle...

"My opponent Judge Gutpaunch gave a convicted felon one Million dollars after he violated the terms of his parole!"

Vyse 11-29-2007 01:16 PM

if someone's stupid enough to buy a lottery ticket... lottery is a good way for the idiots to provide funding, and if that involves taking advantage of said stupid people, well, keep it coming.

Jay Riall 11-29-2007 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You must know the story in Britain about the convicted rapist who bought a ticket whilst on day release and scooped the £7 million jackpot..sickening!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really see how that is sickening atall tbh. He has a right to have money and do what he wants with it. I think it's just peoples pure jealousy that made that an issue.

Vyse 11-29-2007 01:31 PM

so he's a convicted rapist. the law's taking care of him. stop your vigilante sort of justice by implying that because he's a convicted rapist that means nothing else good should happen to him.

Scary_Tiger 11-29-2007 01:32 PM

Yeah, seriously, one of the most detrimental, for yourself things to do, while also being one of the best, for the commonwealth, things to do is banned for felons? That's not cool.

CrazyEyez 11-29-2007 01:58 PM

How arbitrary is it that he's banned from gambling for robbing banks? I mean why not bar him from drinking coffee or watching wheel of fortune.

Twistofsin 11-29-2007 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How arbitrary is it that he's banned from gambling for robbing banks? I mean why not bar him from drinking coffee or watching wheel of fortune.

[/ QUOTE ]

The man probably has a gambling addiction and presented that to the court as the reason why he robbed the bank. Instead of just locking the man up the court tried to assist in his rehab.

wet work 11-29-2007 03:18 PM

Is this standard to not be able to buy lottery tickets as a felon? I've never heard anything like this before.

pseudo t-bone 11-29-2007 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The man probably has a gambling addiction and presented that to the court as the reason why he robbed the bank. Instead of just locking the man up the court tried to assist in his rehab.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you nailed it.

T-God 11-29-2007 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, seriously, one of the most detrimental, for yourself things to do, while also being one of the best, for the commonwealth, things to do is banned for felons? That's not cool.

[/ QUOTE ]
You write like my textbooks

MyGeneration 11-29-2007 04:20 PM

whey

Astyanax 11-29-2007 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really see how that is sickening atall tbh. He has a right to have money and do what he wants with it. I think it's just peoples pure jealousy that made that an issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay, 'sickening' was just a turn of phrase (i.e. why can't it happen to me', not that he doesn't 'deserve the money'.

As it happens though, I think rape is a disgusting crime and he should be penalised.
Imagine a rape victim wins the lottery next week. All is gravy yeah? No. She has such little-self esteem that no amount of money will make a difference to her life.

Not that this has anything to do with it but I just finished second in a Crypto donkament! Happy days!

Damn thought this was bbv4l!

RunDownHouse 11-29-2007 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get it. In the first case quoted, that's like saying, "Bob was told he can't buy heroin, bought it from an undercover cop, and then wasn't given his money back." Of [censored] course not, it's not legal for him to engage in that activity. The offender knows it, the court knows it, where is the problem? It's much the same in the second case quoted. Who cares where the EV is between the convicted and the state? If someone not allowed to play the lottery buys a number, that should be all the better for the rest of the state/country, right?

Seriously, this all comes down to personal responsibility. You [censored] up and a consequence is not being allowed to gamble? That's your consequence. You [censored] up again by trying to gamble and then try to collect? That's your consequence.

[ QUOTE ]
it would seem if the lotto winnings were voided, previous felons who played the lotto and lost would have an argument that they deserve a refund on their losing tickets.

[/ QUOTE ]
They "deserve" a refund for being [censored] idiots? Last I checked, criminals gave up certain rights because... they're criminals. They don't earn or "deserve" refunds for breaking the terms of their imprisonment.

I'm using a lot of pejoratives here, but I can't even wrap my head around an argument stating that criminals, forbidden by law to gamble, should be repaid for their gambling losses.

Jay Riall 11-29-2007 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay, 'sickening' was just a turn of phrase (i.e. why can't it happen to me', not that he doesn't 'deserve the money'.

As it happens though, I think rape is a disgusting crime and he should be penalised.
Imagine a rape victim wins the lottery next week. All is gravy yeah? No. She has such little-self esteem that no amount of money will make a difference to her life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, but I remember the reaction of people at the time at that is what I was referring to mainly.

Obviously rape is a heinous crime - that's why he is in jail. You're point about the rape victim is very biased though. If a rapist wins the lottery a similar view can be expressed - he is still in jail for the crime he committed, he is still a disgusting rapist and no amount of money is going to change that. Also no-one except completely retarded Daily Mail readers would say anything close to 'Imagine a rape victim wins the lottery next week. All is gravy yeah?' since its obviously completely detatched from the truth.

AlexM 11-29-2007 04:49 PM

LOL government.

neuroman 11-29-2007 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL governmentaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

iggymcfly 11-29-2007 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I got raped tomorrow by some burly black man with a ten-inch [censored] and then won the lottery the next day, I'd consider that a pretty awesome week (assuming I didn't get the HIV or something).

Poshua 11-29-2007 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to be the only way to do it. Unless ofcoruse there is a law that says he isnt allowed to profit from banned activities kinds of like murderers arent allowed to benefit financially from selling books about their crimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's more likely that either (1) the law establishing the lottery or (2) the terms and conditions on the lottery ticket state that players who are prohibited by law from playing the lottery may not receive a payout. If a minor buys a lottery ticket and wins, (s)he can't collect. I suspect the winnings go back into the prize pool.

NoMeansYes_ 11-30-2007 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I got raped tomorrow by some burly black man with a ten-inch [censored] and then won the lottery the next day, I'd consider that a pretty awesome week (assuming I didn't get the HIV or something).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd take 7 million pound to be raped in the ass by said man. It wouldn't even bother me in the slightest.

TheNoodleMan 11-30-2007 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd take 7 million pound to be raped in the ass by said man. It wouldn't even bother me in the slightest.

[/ QUOTE ]
Crimson Challenge.

CrazyEyez 11-30-2007 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Crimson Challenge.

[/ QUOTE ]
In for $20.

CrazyEyez 11-30-2007 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not racist imo.

Matt Williams 11-30-2007 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given your undertitle, you should be happy thay system is gone.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/2...nner_bx105.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just glad the guy had the common decency to take a shower and get a haircut before having his picture taken. Wouldn't want to look like a bum or anything.

Lottery Larry 11-30-2007 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean, the same lottery groups that get to keep winnings that go unclaimed for a year?

jstnrgrs 11-30-2007 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Does Massachusetts have elected judges?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Massachusetts judges are apointed for life and are accountable to no one.

illini43 12-01-2007 03:46 AM

I first thought this was going to be a monopoly joke:

You cannot collect rent while you are in jail.

AntonHeat 12-01-2007 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LOL governmentaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]