Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Top Chef "Snacks on a Plane" Sept 12, 2007 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=499828)

StevieG 09-12-2007 10:17 PM

Top Chef \"Snacks on a Plane\" Sept 12, 2007

Spoilers ahead.

First of all, any episode that starts with Padma waking up Casey with a tickling attack cannot be too bad.

Not the worst quickfire challenge, but definitely not as fun as the "cooking bee" or relay race were. Just the usual whip something up, with the twist of having it sprung on them first thing in the morning, and the obnoxious product placement.

I wish we could have seen more of Dale's quickfire dish because it looked pretty interesting. I'll have to check out the recipes tomorrow.

StevieG 09-12-2007 10:30 PM

Re: Top Chef \"Snacks on a Plane\" Sept 12, 2007

I think this is an excellent challenge because they really have to think about the nature of the cooking to make this work. Possible to make a good meal for first class, but there are some real constraints to address.

Colicchio was right that fish is a bad choice since it can be overcooked so quickly. Casey was taking the right approach in noting that everyone should be sized so it's all heated through in the same amount of time.

Autocratic 09-12-2007 10:41 PM

Looks like CJ is headed home.

I have no idea how I find this show so interesting when I have next to no culinary knowledge.

bigscore 09-12-2007 10:50 PM

This show is awesome, toobad the black guy (troy?) got kicked off, he was the best

Senor Cardgage 09-12-2007 10:55 PM

lol at "the texture of doll-head".

StevieG 09-12-2007 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol at "the texture of doll-head".

[/ QUOTE ]

"they searched Bob Marley's house and found this in the closet"
was better

also, lol at leaving loser in NJ while the rest head off to Manhattan

dankhank 09-13-2007 02:39 AM

i was watching some of the top chef marathon today, and i noticed during joey's exit, that sara n. is the last to hug him, he spins her around, and gets a kiss on the forehead. then she stands in front of everyone else when they are clapping for joey (again).

also i noticed sara and joey went to dinner together during restaurant wars, and they appeared together on some post-show. when they show up at restaurant wars and dale tells sara m. that there are vips at table x, sara and joey, sara says "oh how cute".

is it possible the two of them are dating?!?!!

Dids 09-13-2007 10:33 AM

I liked this ep a lot. Both challenges seems more "fair" and I thought we got the right result at the end.

Brocollini is one of my favorite veggies, and it was sad to see how it looked.

Wtf was with that stupid, contrived drama about Hung not helping CJ. I wouldn't necessarily help CJ in that spot either.

Tony was hilarious.

Tom should wear socks.

Padma wants to climb Mnt. CJ imo.

Patton4 09-13-2007 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Padma wants to climb Mnt. CJ imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did notice how she followed him with some sad eyes as he was leaving... maybe just an act, but she seemed genuinely upset.

I believe I'm above 90% for making the call on who is going home before the elimination challenge even begins. The shows editors do a pretty sorry job of hiding who is getting the axe, wether it is some little heartfelt introspection that seems out of place, to the complete avoidance of a person in the beginning of another episode. Unfortunately, it kinda spoils the show for me, but I still enjoy it nonetheless.

StevieG 09-13-2007 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I believe I'm above 90% for making the call on who is going home before the elimination challenge even begins.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have been foreshadowing a lot this season.

Oddly enough, though, I thought this time Brian had almost an equal chance to be sent home. They really did not like his potato-lobster hash, and it was ill-conceived from the start.

Without even seeing next week I think Brian has only 25% chance of making it past elimination. He has been skating by.

rjoefish 09-13-2007 11:28 AM

Brian's 'I'm really sick of seeing you guys like this' comment was like the worst thing he could have said. They're all going to be thinking about how often he's been on the bottom lately, even though they say they don't.

TwoOuter 09-13-2007 11:34 AM

Yeah, this is fair: Quickfire winner Casey gets a MacBook, Hung gets Padma's new cookbook! (Oh- maybe Casey won the MacBook for the elimination challenge-- whoops)

I think it's going to be Casey vs. Hung at the end, with Casey winning.

StevieG 09-13-2007 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, this is fair: Quickfire winner Casey gets a MacBook, Hung gets Padma's new cookbook!

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, Casey won the Mac for winning the elimination challenge, not the quickfire. But yes, individual prizes on offer within the competition vary wildly in value.

Also, I would agree with Casey vs. Hung, but they may be returning to the season 1 format of 3 finalists rather than two. There are only three episodes left and yet 5 competitors.

Dids 09-13-2007 11:50 AM

Tony's blog is once again a must read. Tom's from last week is also interesting wrt to his impressions of Brian.

Patton4 09-13-2007 12:34 PM

From Bourdain's blog...

"Steak and lobster (and plenty of it, pardner!) may be the expressway to happiness for those to whom a complimentary buffet at the Dollywood Sizzler is a dream come true, but for the chef judges, it felt like Brian was holding up a sign saying "All You Can Eat Jumbo Shrimp" and expecting us all to get insta-boners."

Freaking hilarious!

TwoOuter 09-13-2007 01:20 PM

So true about the variation in prizes. The way it was edited Hung just seemed so unthrilled with the cookbook and I just flashed on the MacBook for some reason.

I'd like to see an Iron Chef-style competition among these contestants. Just straight-up cooking for once- let's see what they can do.

Casey's the perfect face for the Top Chef winner. I feel an incredible lack of suspense right now but it's still a fun show to watch.

bernie 09-13-2007 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Padma wants to climb Mnt. CJ imo

[/ QUOTE ]

I got that feeling too.

I think right now it might be between Casey and Hung.

b

KJS 09-13-2007 01:44 PM

The whole "good morning, act like you are surprised to see me because we are pretending that even though we have set up 6 cooking stations and placed a hundred carefully chosen products in the next room we didn't wake anyone up" thing in the quickfire was pretty ridiculous.

Bourdain saying the Brocollini was not fit for prison food was great.

KJS

ohgeetee 09-13-2007 02:33 PM

"Tony's blog is once again a must read. Tom's from last week is also interesting wrt to his impressions of Brian. "

this is like the 4th time you have written "wrt to" and its killing me!
/nit

I agree that Padma wants to mount CJ's steed. Right before she says for him to go home she trembled, plus the sad eyes as he walked out.

El Diablo 09-13-2007 02:37 PM

All,

Casey has been a real surprise lately in terms of what she has delivered. She seems to be pretty good at everything except knife skills.

And Al is gay. She is very hot.

rjoefish 09-13-2007 02:39 PM

He was laying some sweet game when she woke him up and she was laughing like she was really having fun, not just that part, but when waking up everyone. Also, during the quickfire judging she gives some major googly eyes in his direction then it cuts to him.

Also, I just learned today that she was the hottie with Rushdie, lol I'm slow. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Blarg 09-13-2007 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The whole "good morning, act like you are surprised to see me because we are pretending that even though we have set up 6 cooking stations and placed a hundred carefully chosen products in the next room we didn't wake anyone up" thing in the quickfire was pretty ridiculous.

Bourdain saying the Brocollini was not fit for prison food was great.

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm sure there's a good bit of acting in it sometimes. I was thinking the same thing.

Blarg 09-13-2007 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

Casey has been a real surprise lately in terms of what she has delivered. She seems to be pretty good at everything except knife skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Casey has really surprised me. She seemed to start off so unexceptional.

Soul Daddy 09-13-2007 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And Al is gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aloysius 09-13-2007 06:50 PM

I am secure enough in my sexuality to stand by my opinion that Casey is not very hot. I also think Sarah as the only other woman left really puts Casey in a good light...

-Al

Dids 09-13-2007 06:58 PM

Al,

Casey is hot. You're clearly drunk

slamdunkpro 09-13-2007 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He was laying some sweet game when she woke him up and she was laughing like she was really having fun, not just that part, but when waking up everyone. Also, during the quickfire judging she gives some major googly eyes in his direction then it cuts to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

She was probably stoned out of her gourd. Word on the TC set is that Padma is a serious weed fiend and high most of the time.

Autocratic 09-13-2007 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

She was probably stoned out of her gourd. Word on the TC set is that Padma is a serious weed fiend and high most of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

A. source?
B. this is clearly the best way to go about being a TC judge.

Blarg 09-13-2007 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am secure enough in my sexuality to stand by my opinion that Casey is not very hot. I also think Sarah as the only other woman left really puts Casey in a good light...

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

It's basically the boobs. Casey's face is plain.

Blarg 09-13-2007 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They made multiple comments last night about how Padma loves alcohol ...

Aloysius 09-13-2007 07:16 PM

Blarg - thank you! And she has fake breasts, which I'm not into.

Dids - wouldn't that make her hotter to me though?

All - very entertaining episode, really thought the airplane meal was a cool challenge.

-Al

rjoefish 09-13-2007 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A. source?
B. this is clearly the best way to go about being a TC judge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was reading up this morning and there were a lot of articles, maybe just blogs, about how she loves to smoke the potz. Probably why she was so giddy, wake and bake brah.

Blarg 09-13-2007 07:46 PM

A girl that hot giggling it up is beyond hot. I'd get a contact high; hell, I'd be higher than she was just looking at her.

El Diablo 09-13-2007 07:52 PM

Al,

I've been clinging to this idea that Casey's breasts aren't fake, just perfect perky large breasts.

Blarg 09-13-2007 07:53 PM

I, too, often choose to believe. It keeps life funner.

cwsiggy 09-14-2007 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see an Iron Chef-style competition among these contestants. Just straight-up cooking for once- let's see what they can do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess what I just saw on food network? - a commercial for a new show - the search for the next Iron Chef -- yeeeeesssss!!!! though Padma etc makes for a good show - the cooking will be much better on that one obviously. They clearly copied the format as it will have challenges etc. I imagine they are replacing Cat Cora but who knows - maybe one of the other three biggies is too busy to continue. Starts October 5th.

Yes - Casey is hot and may just win this thing. For a Sous Chef at one of the country's most expensive restaurants, Hung really isn't doing much this whole season.

bernie 09-14-2007 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

[/ QUOTE ]

Casey has really surprised me. She seemed to start off so unexceptional.

[/ QUOTE ]

She has a great palate. Bourdain mentioned this in a blog a bit back. I noticed that during the quickfires where she was matching food to drinks and a couple other times after that(though I can't pinpoint where they were, I do remember it)where she 'winged' and matched something up in a challenge based on her taste.

b