Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Do you think dogs get lonely? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=532575)

katyseagull 10-27-2007 01:13 PM

Do you think dogs get lonely?

Thinking a lot about dogs lately

I've been spending a lot of time thinking about dogs. I sort of want one. Course I seem to enjoy talking about it more than going out and getting an actual dog.

Several people at work have told me that it's wrong to get a dog if I can't give it enough attention. I don't know what they're getting at. These same people have dogs of their own and work the same number of hours I do. It's not like they're hanging out with their mutts all day long. So is it cruel to get a dog and leave it at home all day while I'm at work? Do they really get lonely or is it more boredom?

Should I go purebred?

The kind of breeds I'm debating (based mostly on their looks) are boxers, terriers and maybe even wirehaired pointers. Has anyone on here ever owned a wirehaired pointer? They look like this

http://www.pedigree.co.nz/breeds/ima...pointer_01.jpg

- Do you think your dog gets lonely? If you could would you do it all over again and get a dog knowing what you know now?

- Do you think it's unethical to get a dog if you work a lot of hours each week? Say you are gone from your house for 10 hours every day?

- Is it wrong to leave your dog in a crate for 8-9 hrs every day?

Finally, (on a slightly different subject) - Is it wrong to get a puppy from a dog breeder? There's a dog fanatic at work who told me that our coworker should never have gotten a golden doodle from a breeder because it's unethical. Why are dog breeders unethical?

Dominic 10-27-2007 01:20 PM

Re: Do you think dogs get lonely?

1. If you get a dog, adopt one from a shelter or pound. Lots of unwanted dogs. That's where I got mine!

2. Of course dogs get lonely and bored. I think it's because they have no concept of time...so it really doesn't matter if you're gone for for five minutes or 10 hours - to them you're gone FOREVER!

That's why they're so happy when u return. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

3. Crate training is fine...dogs are den animals and love to be underneath/in something...

Dominic 10-27-2007 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why does this dog look smarter than anyone I know?

Mrs. Utah 10-27-2007 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he is. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Conspire 10-27-2007 01:27 PM

If the dog isnt lonely it is busy chewing up furniture, so I would prefer a lonely dog just laying around waiting for me to come home.

Its not unethical, but when its a puppy its better to be around as much as possible if it is going to be mainly a house pet.

I think its pretty bad, you gotta do what you gotta do with what you got though. The more room the better.

If your a baller then go for the high class dog, I would reccomend adopting.

Enrique 10-27-2007 01:29 PM

Dogs do get lonely.
The main problem would be if you travel too much and can't be with the dog on a daily basis. Not being with him from 9 to 5 doesn't sound like a problem to me.

PS: Dogs are awesome.

Taso 10-27-2007 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I got that dog I'd definitly grow out a mustache/goatee so we'd look the same.

Blarg 10-27-2007 03:04 PM

It's very important to read up about the different dog temperaments before you get one. Some vet offices are excellent for this too. They will tell you what types of dogs tend to act out in certain ways more or less, etc. It's easy to pick a dog solely based on looks or the personality of one when you saw it in a park one day; however, you didn't see that dog at home all day!

Two people not to ask are shelter workers and breeders. The first are not really trained and often not well read or experienced. They also may want to just foist any dog on you, or a troubled one, to get it out of there. It may not be conscious, but it really does nothing for you. Breeders, on the other hand, may know a lot about their breed, but tend to downplay it because of two things. First, they probably love the breed and that's why they chose it above all others. Love is blind. And defensive! Second, because they are trying to sell product. So do some independent reading and ask a vet. That will also tell you what genetic problems particular breeds are likely to have, which can help you when picking your new pet from a litter. Bear in mind that some of these are fairly costly chronic conditions.

On being alone, you can be away all day, but a dog is a lot like a kid. If you come home and your kid is hungry, he doesn't give a damn if you've had a bad day at work and want to take a nap for an hour -- he wants his dinner! He's probably dying for some attention too. Maybe he needs a walk and to go poop! All this falls on your shoulders, and there are no days off. If you want to have a dog but have days off from having a dog, it's just not going to work.

Note that that also means that going on trips can be more costly and burdensome. You have to ask friends to take care of the dog -- which many may do quite poorly -- or board them at a kennel, perhaps adding a couple hundred dollars to the effective cost of your trip. Do you want to do that? It's a pretty real problem.

Regarding a crate, crate training your dog is fine, but leaving him in there for 8 or 9 or 10 hours a day is excessive. Let him stretch his legs a bit and walk around your place. There's no harm in it. Crates for anything but small dogs take up quite a bit of room too.

Another thing -- one dog can keep another company.

Also, agreed with another poster that puppies need, and should get, a ton of attention. It's very important to their socialization.

katyseagull 10-27-2007 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. If you get a dog, adopt one from a shelter or pound. Lots of unwanted dogs. That's where I got mine!

2. Of course dogs get lonely and bored. I think it's because they have no concept of time...so it really doesn't matter if you're gone for for five minutes or 10 hours - to them you're gone FOREVER!

That's why they're so happy when u return. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

3. Crate training is fine...dogs are den animals and love to be underneath/in something...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for everyone's comments.

1. I might go this route. I don't think I can handle a puppy even though I love them so much. I think I'm looking for a more mature dog. Someone who has the bathroom thing down. But I want one that looks cool. Like the fellow in the picture.

2. Dom, what do you do with your dog when you're gone. Does he just hang out on your couch all day?

3. Is crate training only for the early stages and eventually you throw away the crate?

katyseagull 10-27-2007 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I got that dog I'd definitly grow out a mustache/goatee so we'd look the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering about this actually. They say people tend to look like their dogs so what does this say about me if I get this kind of breed [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. I think it says that I am really cute with an awesome coat.

Blarg 10-27-2007 05:41 PM

You'd have to put extra effort into keeping that area really clean and odor-free, and that's the first thing dogs get dirty besides their feet. That's a sensitive area to groom too.

On the other hand, this dog looks like one of the few animals that could give a liger a run for his money in a magic contest.

katyseagull 10-27-2007 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Note that that also means that going on trips can be more costly and burdensome. You have to ask friends to take care of the dog -- which many may do quite poorly -- or board them at a kennel, perhaps adding a couple hundred dollars to the effective cost of your trip. Do you want to do that? It's a pretty real problem.

Regarding a crate, crate training your dog is fine, but leaving him in there for 8 or 9 or 10 hours a day is excessive. Let him stretch his legs a bit and walk around your place. There's no harm in it. Crates for anything but small dogs take up quite a bit of room too.

Also, agreed with another poster that puppies need, and should get, a ton of attention. It's very important to their socialization.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your reply Blarg. Do you own a dog right now? If you did would you crate him or leave him wander around your house? I think I'd just let my dog have the run of the house probably.

Like I said earlier, I'm leaning away from getting a puppy. I even emailed one of those rescue places in Ohio and inquired about a 7 yr old airedale. I wouldn't mind having an old man. Found out that the dog had just been placed in a home. Bummer [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. I just want a cool looking dog who is slightly older.

I doubt I could qualify for one of those rescue group dogs anyway. I don't have a fenced yard. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I'm pretty unimpressive on paper.

Dominic 10-27-2007 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for everyone's comments.

1. I might go this route. I don't think I can handle a puppy even though I love them so much. I think I'm looking for a more mature dog. Someone who has the bathroom thing down. But I want one that looks cool. Like the fellow in the picture.

2. Dom, what do you do with your dog when you're gone. Does he just hang out on your couch all day?

3. Is crate training only for the early stages and eventually you throw away the crate?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got Sammy when he was two and he was already housebroken. When I had a regular job it was close by so I'd come home at lunch and take him for quick walk. Otherwise, he'd either hang out in the house or outside in the back yard.

I don't know much about crate training so I'm not the one to ask. I just know what a friend who did it told me!

Ser William 10-27-2007 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife and I had a Shih Tzu pup for 3 months before getting another - we both are away from home 10+ hours a day so we felt bad just leaving the one home alone.

Having said that, I've worked from home plenty of times, and I can tell you that all they do all day is sleep. I wouldn't be too worried that they are lonely without you, chances are they are dreaming doggie dreams all day.

Blarg 10-27-2007 07:04 PM

I don't own a dog right now, but when I grew up we owned a kennel, a quarantine, and a pet shop, and my mom bred dogs too, but casually, not like a volume business or anything.

Now she's really into obedience and agility trials for dogs. She's done it with germa shepherds and got an incredibly adorable and beautiful australian shepherd she's training in it now. Exceptionally smart dog, with an incredibly perky, happy personality. Too energetic by far for most people or for apartment living, though.

The extent to how much I'd let a dog wander the house would vary dog by dog. Some dogs are really happy in their crate, and if you have a small dog, it's not that much of a burden. And even those usually spend their time outside them, if a person is around at least. But a crate ample enough for a big dog is pretty large, and seems unfair to me. I mean, I can't hold my pee for 8 or 10 hours, and wouldn't want to lie in my own pee for 4 hours either. I'd rather they peed on the floor.

My folks got these expanding gates, and the dogs got used to staying behind them, even if they could leap over them. As one of them aged, his bladder started to go, so they put him in the kitchen/breakfast nook area, which was tiled and could be easily cleaned. Their little dog they crate sometimes, but that's to a great extent for habituation, as they take him to agility trials, and he has to get used to being in the crate for hours of travel time. It doesn't seem necessary for dogs not subject to frequent long travel like that.

If I had an adult dog that peed all over, I'd probably take him to a doctor, then a trainer, and still wind up locking him in a bathroom or the kitchen or something as a worst-case scenario. I know dogs like dens, but they also love the cool, cool tile on a warm day, too, and the chance to lay in the sun or opt out of it at will.

Blarg 10-27-2007 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife and I had a Shih Tzu pup for 3 months before getting another - we both are away from home 10+ hours a day so we felt bad just leaving the one home alone.

Having said that, I've worked from home plenty of times, and I can tell you that all they do all day is sleep. I wouldn't be too worried that they are lonely without you, chances are they are dreaming doggie dreams all day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of them howl mournfully for 8 hours straight. I'm pretty sure they are lonely. It's different, when you're around. Then they're just bored! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

katyseagull 10-27-2007 07:08 PM

Thanks Ser William. That makes me feel better to hear someone point out that dogs do in fact sleep a large part of the day. My coworkers are telling me how bad it is to leave a dog alone all day (even though they have done just that with their own dogs [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]).

Are you glad you got the 2nd dog then? Is it easier or more difficult?

katyseagull 10-27-2007 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Some of them howl mournfully for 8 hours straight. I'm pretty sure they are lonely. It's different, when you're around. Then they're just bored! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That made me feel a lot worse to read that dogs might howl for 8 hours straight because they are lonely. Darn you Blarg.

Ser William 10-27-2007 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Ser William. That makes me feel better to hear someone point out that dogs do in fact sleep a large part of the day. My coworkers are telling me how bad it is to leave a dog alone all day (even though they have done just that with their own dogs [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]).

Are you glad you got the 2nd dog then? Is it easier or more difficult?

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all I agree with Blarg in that SOME howl all day... but I think you'll find that to be the minority. I had a friend who lived in the apartment below me who had a dog that was borderline stalkerish when it came to his owner. He whined a little bit when my friend left in the morning but after that he just slept on the bed... by the window, watching all the cars go by hoping that one of them was my friend. So ok, he was lonely, but he did sleep a lot, and no howling!

I am very glad we got a 2nd dog, now. At first it was pretty brutal though, since our first (Maggie) seemed devastated that we would bring an outsider (Daisy) in. She stopped playing with us, she was extremely wary, and on top of it all they both got sick and had to be taken to the vet. It was awful. However, now they'll cuddle up back to back with each other, and while I wouldn't say they are best of friends they do tend to spend time near each other during the day.

The Shih Tzu is a great breed for apartment life. They require little space and small walks are enough exercise to keep them in great shape. I think if you are looking to get a bigger breed of dog you might find that they require a lot more attention and care, so maybe the loneliness factor would be more noticeable there.

Also to answer your question about being easier or more difficult with a 2nd, I don't think I can answer that properly. Mainly because we got them 3 months apart. Emotionally it was tougher that way. But from a training standpoint it made things a lot easier because Daisy would just copy everything Maggie did.

Good luck, don't let your co-workers deter you from getting a dog.

Blarg 10-27-2007 07:23 PM

They even die occasionally when their doggy buddies die. They are very, very much pack animals, not loners.

But I think a good relationship with them while you're home does wonders. The bad thing to do is when you come home, be too lazy to walk them, or keep shoving them out of the way when they come over to lick you or stick their nose on you or whatever. Dogs are a messy business, but so what? They need very, very little compared to what we can give, and compared to all the love they can give, but sometimes even giving a little can feel like a nuisance. A nice owner will not train his dog to be constantly all over him by rewarding him too much, but won't treat him like a cardboard box stuffed into an empty corner either. That "hangdog" expression when you've rejected them sure is a miserable guilt-inducer!

I'm sure you could make a dog happy even if you have a working life like everyone else does, Katy. It's just that you really need to make a commitment to walk them every day and pay some attention to them every day, and never treat them like some sort of burdensome furniture. Besides, walking them is good for you too! Guaranteed food for your soul, if you let it be.

Stagger_Lee 10-27-2007 07:23 PM

I wouldn't leave a dog inside all day - then again, our dogs don't come in the house at all.

The point Blarg makes about dog ownership being a long-term full-time commitment is very important and one that seems lost on the vast majority of dog owners.

I seem to meet a lot of people in our local dog park that think they are dog lovers, they really want to be, they talk-the-talk, but their large dogs are out of control.

katyseagull 10-27-2007 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I seem to meet a lot of people in our local dog park that think they are dog lovers, they really want to be, they talk-the-talk, but their large dogs are out of control.

[/ QUOTE ]

In what way are they out of control? Aren't they on a leash?

edited: also, what kind of dogs do you have that stay outdoors?

Myrtle 10-27-2007 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's very important to read up about the different dog temperaments before you get one. Some vet offices are excellent for this too. They will tell you what types of dogs tend to act out in certain ways more or less, etc. It's easy to pick a dog solely based on looks or the personality of one when you saw it in a park one day; however, you didn't see that dog at home all day!

Two people not to ask are shelter workers and breeders. The first are not really trained and often not well read or experienced. They also may want to just foist any dog on you, or a troubled one, to get it out of there. It may not be conscious, but it really does nothing for you. Breeders, on the other hand, may know a lot about their breed, but tend to downplay it because of two things. First, they probably love the breed and that's why they chose it above all others. Love is blind. And defensive! Second, because they are trying to sell product. So do some independent reading and ask a vet. That will also tell you what genetic problems particular breeds are likely to have, which can help you when picking your new pet from a litter. Bear in mind that some of these are fairly costly chronic conditions.

On being alone, you can be away all day, but a dog is a lot like a kid. If you come home and your kid is hungry, he doesn't give a damn if you've had a bad day at work and want to take a nap for an hour -- he wants his dinner! He's probably dying for some attention too. Maybe he needs a walk and to go poop! All this falls on your shoulders, and there are no days off. If you want to have a dog but have days off from having a dog, it's just not going to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Katy,

This is EXCELLENT advice and you should pay close attention to it.

daryn 10-28-2007 12:06 PM

wow i really blarg's advice on the crate issue is horrible. blarg, you're basically saying, crates are bad because they're unfair? they take up too much space? you don't like them? but then you say oh it's ok i'd rather the dog just pee on the floor, i'll clean it up. well if you don't use a crate that's probably what you'll get.

mondo 10-28-2007 12:32 PM

Katy,

If you can, the shelter or rescue group is the way to go. You can often get whatever type you are looking for, if you are patient, (who knows, you may fall in love with a completely different one).

I've had dogs for most of my life, from Belden English Setters to abandoned strays (my 3 current dogs are 7 year old Lab mix sisters, abandoned by their mother as puppies.... she had obviously been badly mistreated, and was terrified of people).... All of them have been wonderful, but there is something intangible, and bonding in the gratitude of the abandoned.....

Dogs definitely like a companion, but limit yourself to 2 dogs per available human. 3 leashes @ a time is a handful !!

My mother just adopted a Weimeraner (sp?) mix last weekend. In my immediate family, we currently have 12 dogs, all adopted strays. It is really a great experience for all involved !!!

Feel free to pm if you have ?s, comments.

Good luck....

peace, mondo

P.S. They may get bored, and you might feel "neglectful" when you're away, but that really is just a side effect of loving your dogs, and them loving you !!!!

DLizzle 10-28-2007 01:18 PM

my dog (puppy) is only active for a couple hours when he wakes up at around 5am, then mostly sleeps until my girlfriend comes home at 5pm, then is crazy again until 9 or 10pm. If I'm moving around a lot though during the day he loves following me around and playing. I would feel bad leaving him at home all day, but he'd probably be ok. They are still thrilled to see you when you do get home. As long as you give him lots of attention and exercise when you are home I think it would be fine. My parents do something similar, though they often come home for lunch during the day.

Blarg 10-28-2007 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow i really blarg's advice on the crate issue is horrible. blarg, you're basically saying, crates are bad because they're unfair? they take up too much space? you don't like them? but then you say oh it's ok i'd rather the dog just pee on the floor, i'll clean it up. well if you don't use a crate that's probably what you'll get.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if you make a commitment to come home on time. If you're going to live like you have a dog, you live differently. Our family owned many, many dogs, for decades, and they very rarely peed on the floor. Then again, we wouldn't leave them for 12 hours alone. To me, dogs are family and deserve that kind of commitment. Much different than a style accessory or having a plant to water.

As to the crates taking up space, that's just something that some people might find relevant and some not. In a small apartment, it's one thing. In a huge home, it's another.

untadam 10-28-2007 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A dog like this should not be outside all day as I doubt Katy will use it to go hunting.

katyseagull 10-28-2007 04:14 PM

I would not leave a dog outside all day. I don't even have a fenced yard. My dog is going to be a house dog who hangs out on my sofa and chews up my shoes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Daryn -
don't you have a boxer? Do you crate him when you are gone for several hours?

Mondo -
[ QUOTE ]

If you can, the shelter or rescue group is the way to go. You can often get whatever type you are looking for, if you are patient, (who knows, you may fall in love with a completely different one).

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to get a rescue dog but in the past when I've tried they have told me that I need a fenced yard. I intend to take my dog on a long walk in the morning and again in the evening when I get home from work.

That doggie fiasco with Ellen Degeneres got me wondering about these dog rescue groups. If I adopt a dog from one of these places does it mean that I don't actually own the dog, they're just "loaning" it to me?

dlizzle -
what kind of dog do you have? Do you let it roam around your house when you are gone or is he in a crate?

daryn 10-28-2007 04:53 PM

yeah i have a boxer he's about 10 months old and 65 lbs. so far. i think he'll grow a bit more.

i got him when he was 7 weeks old and have done the crate training from the very start. when i leave the house for a few hours i do leave him in the crate, and he doesn't mind it or whine or anything. i have recently begun transitioning him to being out sometimes when i leave for an hour or two, but a vast majority of the time i'm gone he's in the crate.

i'm home most of the day though, as i do not work.

DLizzle 10-28-2007 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

dlizzle -
what kind of dog do you have? Do you let it roam around your house when you are gone or is he in a crate?

[/ QUOTE ]

He is a black lab/border collie mix. I am usually home during the day but when I go out I put him in a crate, he is only 4 months old and would get into tons of trouble unsupervised.

Rootabager 10-28-2007 05:29 PM

I have a one year old weimaraner. They have really bad separation anxiety. She hates being left alone. And now when she know I am getting ready to leave she will get sad and put her ears down and lay on the couch.

I am super active and take my dog for runs or hiking probably 6 days a week. I knew I would have to do this when I got her because she is such a high energy dog.

Take that into account when you get a dog. Dont get a high energy dog if you are not a high energy person. They will drive you crazy.

It's true about alot of people who have dogs dont train them enough. I never use the leash anymore. She will just run and walk on my right side while I am walking and ignore other dogs and people.

Also take them to the dog park when they are young so they get used to playing with other dogs.

I still feel SUPER! bad about leaving my dog when I go to work and stuff. she will sit and look at me out the window when I leave. It's super sad.

I am going to get another dog for x-mas. I am thinking of getting a vizsla, which is almost exactly like a weimaraner only brown and a little smaller.

Here is pictures of my baby.

It has been storming here all week so bad that I could not take her for runs outside and she has been going crazy in the house. Being really restless.

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/phot...62937_4709.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/phot...65779_6035.jpg

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/phot...06434_8773.jpg

Blarg 10-28-2007 06:25 PM

Very cute dog!

Personally now that I have seen them a bunch and gotten to know the one my folks have, I'd love an Australian shepherd. Beautiful, very smart, super affectionate. But I never would. That kind of dog needs tons of stimulation or they start to act out and become problems. I'd feel twice as guilty being a little bit selfish once in a while with that kind of dog as I would with your more mellow, hang and and sleep at your feet dogs.

Stagger_Lee 10-28-2007 06:46 PM

I like in an area with a very moderate climate. Biggest problem is high summer temps - so lots of water and shade are required.

A dog doesn't have to be a hunting dog to live outdoors. Right now we have a Jack Russell terrier and she lives fine outside. Biggest issue with these dogs is keeping them in a yard - they are escape artists. You'd have to keep them indoors if you don't have adequate fencing.

My comments about out-of-control dogs refers to designated off-leash areas. First problem for most seems to be getting the dog back on the leash. Seems most dog owners cannot get there dog to return to them when they want, they cannot keep their dogs from jumping on kids, they don't understand why their dogs should not be on the soccer oval or baseball pitch, they don't understand why their dogs shouldn't be in the childrens play area or why other park users might not want their dog chasing them or licking their kids.

We end up not taking our dog to these areas because of the general lack of consideration shown by other dog owners.

Blarg 10-28-2007 07:05 PM

Can't say I blame you. I'm no fan of people denying responsibility for the behavior of their dogs, kids, or selves, either. I'd be particularly worried about dogs roaming freely around kids, or through their playing area. Both for who might get hurt, and what might get pee'd and pooped. Little kids stick their hands and mouths all over everything, and sit and roll around on the ground.

katyseagull 10-28-2007 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's true about alot of people who have dogs dont train them enough. I never use the leash anymore. She will just run and walk on my right side while I am walking and ignore other dogs and people.

Also take them to the dog park when they are young so they get used to playing with other dogs.

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/phot...62937_4709.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Beautiful dog Rootabager. I know someone who has one of these and he tells me that they are high energy dogs. His dog gets into all kinds of trouble when he's not home. Loves to chew up pillows and get into the garbage. Also has separation anxiety and doesn't like my friend to leave him.

I would like to know how you trained your dog to stay right with you when you walk her and not run across the street to explore other yards. How long did it take you to train her?

sharkbitten 10-29-2007 10:03 AM

Katy,

We crate ours while we are at work. Ours is almost 8 months now. The main thing is to spend time with them when you are home. My kids run her ragged in the evening(sometimes it is the other way around) and I walk her almost every night after dinner. We tried to gate her down in the storage room once when she was about 3 months for a few hours as an experiment, but she climbed the gate and had the run of the house for 4 hours. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] We considered ourselves very lucky after that episode with the very little damage she caused. Plan b was to crate her all day and it has worked out fine. We supply her with some chew toys to keep her occupied. She even sleeps in her crate at night. i tell her "Crate.", and she walks right in and lays down.

If you are planning on getting a dog, like it has been said throughout the thread, definitely do some research on breeds before buying a dog. There is a ton of info. in books and online. You definitely want a dog with the right temperment and needs to fit your situation. Also read up on puppy personality testing, so when you do start looking around at pups, you can do some of the tests which might help you pick the right pup out of a litter of little fur balls that you wish you could just take the whole lot home instead of choosing just one. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
The testing is not a sure fire method, but it might help you get away from an agressive or very timid puppy.

Don't discount shelters with just a bunch of mutts. My last 2 dogs have been from shelters and mixed breeds and they have been great. The last one, we got in May, and she is a lab-border collie mix??(not totally certain on the last breed). She's a bundle of energy but I think she's going to grow into a pretty good dog.
One problem with shelters is you really have to harden your heart a little bit. You want to take all the dogs home. Also, if the shelter is really dirty and disgusting, be careful. Our new puppy had a horrible case of kennel cough and the vet bills started to add up pretty quick that first month or so after we got her. The shelter we got her from was filthy. I guess that is the biggest risk you run with shelter dogs. I had no problems what so ever with my previous dog from a shelter, but there was a huge difference in the quality of the shelters.
I guess the bottom line is to do some research on breeds, shelters, breeders (if you're getting a pure-bred), etc.
Also, if you do go to a shelter, don't discount older dogs too. There are probably some great 1 or 2 year old dogs up for adoption too. I've heard that a dog like that, given a second chance, can make a great pet.

If you end up getting a puppy, let us know how it turns out and God help you! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Orlando Salazar 10-29-2007 10:23 AM

I know kitty cats get lonely. But if they get pet and fed till they purr, they are happy for up to a week.

Dogs either need attention at least every other day or a big field with other partners to play with.

mondo 10-29-2007 11:20 AM

Katy,

Different shelters have different requirements. The "fenced yard" is obviously preferred, as they would not like to see the dog stray again..... BUT, if you get to know the people, and demonstrate you are a responsible person, I don't see the fence being a deal killer.....

Another area you can look into is "_________ breed" rescue groups. My sister is actively involved w/ several in Atlanta, and I was involved when I lived in Athens. The nice part about these is they usually have a once a month or so gathering at a Home Depot or local pet store, and the dogs range from puppies to adults. The dogs generally live with "foster" parents while they are up for adoption. This is a really good thing, as the foster parents are very carefully screened, often have several dogs @ a time which is great for socialization, and are really helpful in accommodating people for adoptions to a good home.... once you've been around these groups, you develop a "sixth sense" of who is right for an adoption, and who is not..... If you are, (I'm sure you are.... look @ the research you're doing), then you will have no problem getting approved.....

Good Luck, and kudos to the others sharing insights. Dogs are a HUGE commitment, but life isn't the same without them.

peace, mondo

katyseagull 10-29-2007 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Katy,

We crate ours while we are at work. Ours is almost 8 months now. The main thing is to spend time with them when you are home. My kids run her ragged in the evening(sometimes it is the other way around) and I walk her almost every night after dinner.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

If you are planning on getting a dog, like it has been said throughout the thread, definitely do some research on breeds before buying a dog. There is a ton of info. in books and online. You definitely want a dog with the right temperment and needs to fit your situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the excellent advice Sharkbitten and Mondo (edited to add Sharkbitten!). I will definitely keep everything you said in mind. Good to hear that you can leave a dog alone all day and it is still well balanced and normal when you get home.

My problem is that I'm tempted to ignore everyone's sound advice about researching breed temperament and go buy a dog based on looks. I know this sounds stupid but I just really want a cool looking dog. When I found out the German Wirehaired Pointer has a lot of energy and is not a good candidate to leave alone all day I felt like this [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

I suppose in the end I will go to a shelter and get a calm older dog. I really don't think I can handle a puppy but we'll see. If someone were to give me a wirehaired pointer puppy right now as a gift I would not turn it down. I would love it so much [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img].