Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Borgata - Bobby Flay Steak vs. Old Homestead (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=463214)

Poshua 07-28-2007 05:14 PM

Borgata - Bobby Flay Steak vs. Old Homestead

I'm hitting the Borgata in two weeks with my boyfriend. He's not much of a gambler but we both like steak, so I'm thinking about making a reservation at Bobby Flay or Old Homestead.

Anyone have thoughts on which is better? I'm leaning toward Bobby Flay, b/c the southwestern twist sounds interesting, while I get the impression Old Homestead isn't appreciably different from the upscale steakhouses (including OH's home branch) that dot Manhattan. But I am open to persuasion.

LooseStool 07-28-2007 05:52 PM

Re: Borgata - Bobby Flay Steak vs. Old Homestead

Old Homestead is good but it looks like you live in NYC like I do so pass on that. It's not better than any place here like Peter Luger, Sparks, etc. I hear Bobby Flay is pretty good but I have never been there. I ate at Wolfgang Puck's restaurant at the Borgata and the Braised Pork was very good. My favorite at the Borgata was Suilan. I can't believe they got rid of that place. The scallops were amazing and the lobster mash potatoes were so good. But getting back to your question (sorry) from what I hear Bobby Flay's is great so go there.

brettbrettr 07-29-2007 10:30 PM

I've eaten at Homestead twice and been unimpressed.

slamdunkpro 07-29-2007 10:44 PM

Old Homestead - poor service; pricey & bland. Bobby Flay - Meh service; Really pricey and spicy. Both are mediocre compared to what's in NYC. Flay's at the Borg pales compared to Mesa grill in Vegas

I've eaten at every restaurant in the Borg and I swear that all the food places in the old wing (Homestead, The Metropolitan and the Buffet) share the same prep kitchen. The sides and salads taste and look exactly the same.

Eat cheap at the Borg and go to Peter Luger when you get home.

KappaSig215 07-30-2007 12:02 AM

Cant vouch for either of the AC steakhouses, but I did eat at MESA in Caesar's out in Vegas and slamdunk said it well..."pricey and spicy". I had the pork tenderloin and a side of mashed potatoes with pesto (drinking water) and with tax and tip my tab was nearly $60. I thought it was very good though and the southwestern spice to everything was unique.

flavio321 07-30-2007 01:23 AM

if you don't care about paying $90 for some steak, homestead ain't too bad. i'd rather get some fatburger at the foodcourt.

zerocarb 07-30-2007 07:08 AM

Skip 'em both and pay the $10 cab fare or drive to Dock's Oyster House or the Knife and Fork.

blaqeyez 07-30-2007 09:29 AM

Been to both a few times.....I haven't found anything special about Old Homestead.

I like Flay's better in terms of food, service, price, atmosphere and proximity to the poker room.

DMBFan4Ever 07-30-2007 10:26 AM

How is this Carmines place people keep telling me about ?

LyinKing 07-30-2007 11:44 AM

Had a good experience at Wolfgang Puck's restaurant in the Borgata, I ordered steak of some variety.

Carmine's, if it's anything like its NYC namesake, will offer absurdly large portions and rely solely on garlic to flavor the food. Go to Ombra for reasonably priced Italian instead.