Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Golf (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Hole in one (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=390160)

ghostface 04-28-2007 02:03 AM

Re: Hole in one

So many shots inside 6 inches, hit the base of the pin, or lip out. No ace, just lots of tap in eagles [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I've witnessed an unofficial hole in one on our par 4 290yd first hole with a 2 iron. Wasn't official cause it was his 2nd off the first tee.

SoloAJ 04-28-2007 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the first times I ever went golfing I got within six inches to a hole in one...got par.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should add I had this same experience the very first time I golfed. Though it was about 12 inches. Golf can be cruel.

Ron Burgundy 04-28-2007 02:52 AM

I was playing by myself at a 9-hole muni course about 5-6 years ago. After the first hole, I caught up to the group ahead of me, which was 4 orthodox Jewish guys who were TERRIBLE. I mean the least coordinated humans I had ever seen. And they were wearing the yamakas and dress shirts and pants with the little strings hanging down, whatever that's for. Possibly their first time on a golf course ever. Fortunately, they were nice and suggested I play through.

The 2nd hole was like 125 yards. I quickly dropped a ball on the tee, took out a 9-iron, and made a swipe at it.

Jew dudes: Oy! What a nice swing young man!

Me: thanks

me: uh... I think it went in

Jew dudes: what?

me: I mean I got a hole in one

Jew dudes: Oy! Nice shot!

me: thanks

They really weren't all that excited though. Either because they hadn't been playing golf long enough to realize the rarity of a hole in one, or because they just thought I was so good that it must not be a big deal to me.

westhoff 04-28-2007 05:31 AM

I have three, one with a really good story, the other two not so much.

First, home course growing up in Kansas, eight years ago, age 16. Nice 9-hole par 35 short course. Hole #7 110 yards, my nemesis hole. I hit a gap wedge that hits in the middle of the green, spins down the slope and goes in, sweet!!! We play another nine, get to hole 7, I grab my gap wedge, and proceed to chunk it about halfway there much to the delight of my playing partners. Another time I get to this hole having my best round ever. I birdied the first six holes, course record for nine is six under. Six or seven steps past the back edge of the green is a road/OB. I step up and hit the biggest blade of my life, clearing the road and going into the corn field behind it on the fly. My wedge toss was about ten yards short of the green. I hit my next shot to the front of the green, three-putt and put a lovely triple on my card after the six birdies. I par eight and birdie nine for 4-under 31 with a triplebogey.

Second, wedge at Stonebriar Fazio course #6 130 yards. (where I used to work, Frisco, TX) One bounce and in. No story with this one.

Most recent one, about three years ago on Stonebriar Fazio #15 155 yards. We played 36 that day, pretty windy day. We get to 15, nothing special happening, I grab my eight iron. Flag is middle-front guarded by a fairly deep bunker, probably 10-12 yards of green between the bunker and hole. Wind is left-to-right, slightly helping. I aim right at it thinking my little draw will keep it straight. It barely clears the bunker, takes one bounce, checks, and catches the top side of the hole and lips out finishing three inches away. Bummer. So we get to 15 on our second round and everything is the same. Wind, hole location, tee markers, etc. I find my divot from the first round and figure if I tee the ball up one inch to the right and make the same swing it should go in right? Well, that's what I did. One bounce, check, and in. Holy [censored]!!! I still can't believe it and most people don't believe me.

PM me anytime for advice and GO SUNS!!! (yes, I'm a suns fan living in Dallas)

Sluss 04-28-2007 07:57 AM

Never had one. I have hit the pin so many times I can't count and I have dropped balls that physics can't explain how they didn't go in. Once I was in a charity tournament where there was a car for a hole in one and a pot of gold for closest to the pin. We came to the hole which was our last (shotgun start)and there was only two people who had even hit the green all day. With about twenty people out there watching the guy at the tee told me that the pot of gold was going to the house. I looked at him smile and said "Not if I knock it in there."

Took an extra club than I normally take on that hole. Hit it perfect. Ball comes down in front of the hole bounces over the hole and spins back to the hole and stops right on the lip. The whole crowd went nuts. People were buying me drinks the rest of the night and I had won the money! It was pretty cool.

I've witnessed three holes in one. Not one from anybody who was even a decent player.

HDPM 04-28-2007 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One of the first times I ever went golfing I got within six inches to a hole in one...got par.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should add I had this same experience the very first time I golfed. Though it was about 12 inches. Golf can be cruel.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the most nerve wracking putts I have had was on a very short par 4 at a short, tight little muni. The hole would probably be a par 3 now, because it si like 250-260. But it would be a very hard par 3 because of the bunkers and rough in front of the green and some water to the right. Anyway, on this little hole I find the opening in front of the green and a slope kicked the ball at the hole that was behind a bunker. I had about a foot. I really didn't want to miss a 1 foot eagle putt on a par 3 (even if it is an easy hole), and it was slick. I white knuckled it in fortunately. I don't remember if I used all the hole or not.

never made one. Have come close, flew one in that popped out once. I expect if I ever make one it will be on a poor shot that I complain about that bounces in or something.

pokerpansie 04-28-2007 10:33 AM

I used to coach the local high school golf team, and at a practice round for the state tournament i was playing with some of the kids. One of them hit it too about a foot and they were all excited. My turn to hit and the kid that hit it close asked "have you ever a had a one?", i responded by saying "no, but this is going to be a sweet first one". He said, "ya right, 100 bucks you can't get it inside me". Well, luckily his dad was walking along with us and i got paid, not to mention he took me out for a nice steak dinner that night as well, and i didn't have to buy one drink! That was 24 years after i started playing golf but i still have 6 more to get to tie my grandmother.

SoloAJ 04-28-2007 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but i still have 6 more to get to tie my grandmother.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome if true.

Hey_Porter 04-28-2007 01:32 PM

I've had two. My first one was when I was 15, and could actually play. I was playing with two other friends, and aced a pretty difficult par three, with what was actually a good shot (I'd be pissed if I ever got a hole in one by bouncing it off a rake or something like that). Anyway, since I was young and was playing with friends who were young, I was paranoid no one would believe me, so I drove the cart to the guys on the next tee (who I knew) and made sure they verified it!

ghostface 04-28-2007 03:41 PM

The sad thing is that my first will go unwitnessed because I play a majority of my golf alone.