Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Flopped trips going gay on turn (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=553101)

Babalatexi 11-23-2007 07:30 PM

Flopped trips going gay on turn

Party Poker, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players

UTG: $282.91
Hero (CO): $103
BTN: $120.28
SB: $117.61
BB: $101.50

Pre-Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (CO)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $4</font>, BTN calls $4, 2 folds

Flop: ($9.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $6</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $12</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $32</font>, BTN calls $20

Turn: ($73.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $21</font>

Villain is 40/5/1.4 after only 35 hands so we just know he sucks. Reason behind my ridiculous turn bet? I think all villains would auto-bluff-shove here and shove the FD's too, all A's would shove too while they might check behind if I check. I guess a check could be justified here too but I think this gets most value out of villain's range. I don't like shoving since we lose the bluffs. I really doubt a bad villain could see me having a 9 here. Flame away.

h_ven 11-23-2007 07:36 PM

Re: Flopped trips going gay on turn

BTN has about $84 left after he called your flop 3-bet. Since he called you 3-bet on the flop, I think it's going to be easy for you to extract the rest of his stack from him.

I bet $40 on the turn and pot commit him, then he'll be forced to call with any A. Atleas if he misses his draw on the river, you've taken a good chunk of his stack.

Babalatexi 11-23-2007 07:39 PM

*Just a quick note, I have $17 less than button so effective stacks on the turn are about 67.*

Edit: How big a chance do you think there's for button having a FD? My thought-process (if I had one, it's party...) was that by betting this small I get him to shove the FD's. I he has a A/9 I think the money's going in no matter what.

h_ven 11-23-2007 07:42 PM

Right, I didn't take that into consideration, I like to bet about half my stack here then. Make it $33, this will also pot commit him.

I re-read your OP, are you saying checking turn gets most value out of villain, or betting $21? betting &gt; checking IMO

Ya I agree, if he has an A or 9, he's stacking off here. Not sure how to figure what % of the time he's going to have a FD here. Are you betting small to look weak so he'll bluff?

Babalatexi 11-23-2007 07:46 PM

I'm saying betting small is the best thing to do here but checking&gt;shoving. Or maybe it's impossible for villain to have a FD here, dunno.

EDIT: Yeah, I mean if he has a strong hand I'm getting his money anyway so I just give him a reason to bluff. It's weird because I don't think I've done this before even though you'd think the situation comes up a lot and because I generally never "min"-bet/raise.

h_ven 11-23-2007 07:50 PM

I beleive there's a small chance villain has a FD here. Ya I agree that checking &gt; shoving as villain could be drawing dead, or to 2 or 3 outs. There's nothing wrong with betting $21, but I think you have a better chance of doubling up if you bet half your stack now, then the rest on the river.