Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Bears 2006 Season Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=208934)

Case Closed 09-10-2006 06:41 PM

Bears 2006 Season Thread

I know this has become a bit much with all these team threads. But there is a bunch of Bears fans on this board, and we need to discuss the bears beating down the NFC north.

Russ M. 09-10-2006 06:44 PM

Re: Bears 2006 Season Thread

Following on NFL.com, they keep putting Thomas Jones as the QB.

Nice to see the passing game going strongly, although the rushing game looks weak.

ridonkulous 09-10-2006 06:45 PM

Devin Hester > Bobby Wade

Case Closed 09-10-2006 06:51 PM

Russ,

Yeah, the offense is light years ahead of where they were first game last year. But they should be rushing better.

ridonkulous,

Yeah, i'd say so.

KDawg 09-10-2006 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Devin Hester > Bobby Wade

[/ QUOTE ]

AINEC

MyTurn2Raise 09-10-2006 09:29 PM

man...the NFC North sucks so bad that there is little chance the Bears won't win it

crockpot 09-10-2006 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a tackling dummy smeared with super glue > Bobby Wade

[/ QUOTE ]

Sluss 09-11-2006 07:13 AM

I'm not so sure if it was there Bears looking good as much as the Packers just sucking ass. I was pretty confident there would be a shutout at the start of the fourth when Favre was going into his throw the ball high in the air into coverage mode.

The Lions D looked pretty good today and you would think they will win some games this year and the Vikings have yet to play and they could be much improved this year.

I'm not ready to hand this divison to the Bears. But I am sure of one thing the Packers straight up blow.

And yes this is what 20 years of disappoitment does. I can't even be happy about a 26-0 thrashing of the Packers, where the offense moved the ball well, the defense had a shutout, Devin Hester looked like he might return 6 or 7 punts back this year, Maynard looked like he was back to his old form and Gould was perfect even from distance.

Brian707 09-11-2006 12:18 PM

Bears looked real good against GB but the Pack might be the worst team in the NFL. The Lions look improved too so that might be a test. Only disapointments was settling for FG's and the rushing game was lacking. I think the Bears make a run at the Super Bowl.

Shajen 09-11-2006 01:35 PM

I was pretty happy to see Muhammed making some somewhat tough catches. Considering how many drops he had last year, this was a vast improvement.

Grossman looked pretty good, other than the one retardo pass into triple coverage in the endzone (INT).

The D was solid, but the Packers aren't what I'd call a true test of the team. Looking forward to PWNing the Lions next week.

GO BEARS!!!!!!

xorbie 09-11-2006 02:11 PM

disclaimer: i hate the bears.

the bears luckboxed into the easiest schedule of any good team (possibly any team period). they get 5-6 wins in their division, then play the nfc west and afc east which is another 6 or so wins say (tough games being seattle and @NE). given the parity in the nfc south and nfc east, this should almost gaurantee them home field advantage.

that said, they are really not as good as the other teams. rex grossman looked ok from what i saw, but continues to make the sort of stupid decisions that cost a team. a run at the SB is possible, but getting through the other nfc teams is a little optimistic.

kevkev60614 09-11-2006 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
man...the NFC North sucks so bad that there is little chance the Bears won't win it

[/ QUOTE ]
MyTurn,

While professing your love of the Bears, you forgot to mention how good they looked. Finally firing on DEF, OFF, and ST. It's true, in part, that Chicago looked awesome because the Packers are so incredibly terrible, but they were almost as terrible last year and we beat the Pack twice by a paltry 12 and 7 points. The fact is that if the Bears can put up average offensive numbers and break Bobby Wade's violently retarded special teams streak, I stand a good shot at making a drunken trip to Miami. w00t.

MyTurn2Raise 09-11-2006 06:52 PM

damn you Kevkev...that's the last time I say anything remotely nice about the Bears

bugstud 09-11-2006 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
damn you Kevkev...that's the last time I say anything remotely nice about the Bears

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

crockpot 09-11-2006 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
disclaimer: i hate the bears.

the bears luckboxed into the easiest schedule of any good team (possibly any team period). they get 5-6 wins in their division, then play the nfc west and afc east which is another 6 or so wins say (tough games being seattle and @NE). given the parity in the nfc south and nfc east, this should almost gaurantee them home field advantage.

that said, they are really not as good as the other teams. rex grossman looked ok from what i saw, but continues to make the sort of stupid decisions that cost a team. a run at the SB is possible, but getting through the other nfc teams is a little optimistic.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with all of this except:

- they will have to be lucky to win 5 or 6 division games
- i don't know who "the other teams" are, but unless it means "seattle and the afc contenders", the bears are not really behind them. carolina, atlanta, and philly can make cases that they are better teams, but they are far from clear-cut.
FO 2006 Projections

scroll a little to the ranks:

8. Philly
9. Bears
10. Carolina
11. Atlanta

Case Closed 09-17-2006 03:03 PM

Had a real strong first half. Not so great second half.

Russ M. 09-17-2006 03:14 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] REX

Case Closed 09-17-2006 04:12 PM

I am really loving all the questions about who would be the Bears starting QB.

crockpot 09-18-2006 05:27 AM

grossman right now reminds me of derek jeter. he's always throwing off his back foot, even on 50 yard passes, much the same way jeter throws to first on the run on every grounder, even when he has plenty of time to set his feet.

i can't argue with the results, though. if rex eliminates one stupid mistake a game, the bears become a championship-caliber team. however, if he starts becoming ineffective, i hope the team has the guts to put griese in, even if the team is still winning.

Sluss 09-18-2006 07:56 AM

So um... The only time the Bears have been scored on this year was because the ref decided he had to blow the whistle in a spot where they have been told not to blow the whistle.

The offense looks like it could score between 24-35 points every week.

Gould looks great driving balls down the middle from 40+ and killing kickoffs into th end zone. Maynard in the few times he has to walk onto the field looks like his old self. Hester looks like he'll be a Dante Hall like adventure on every punt return.

I guess we could nit pick that sometimes Grossman makes an aggressive mistake. The run game hasn't been dominate. They have been a bit soft against draw plays and allowed some rushing yards.

But, I'm just trying to stay away from being giddy at this point because right now this is far and away the best team in the NFC. And the upside is that besides Urlacher or Briggs and maybe Brown, most of these parts are interchangable and without a rash of injuries this team is going to be the #1 seed in the playoffs and be a big favorite to win the.... whoa, see too giddy.

kevkev60614 09-18-2006 09:47 AM

Chicago plays Seattle at home Oct 1st on Sunday night football. I think we're going to learn a lot about the Bears that game. Not to overlook the Vikes, but...

I saw the Lions massacre live, my first time in Soldier Field since the reconstruction. It was awesome.

Chris Collinsworth commented yesterday that if the Bears can keep up this kind of offense, he's picking them for the Super Bowl.

capone0 09-18-2006 10:06 AM

Bears have a relatively easy schedule. The Seattle, Giants, New England games are the really ones of notes. They get the 9ers, Zona, Miami (don't look too good), Jets, St Louis, Tampa and Buffalo as their non division "cake-walk" opponents left. They could potentially win the conference, they might not be the best team but they should win a lot of games. Although, if they do beat Seattle, they might be the best team in the conference.

davelin 09-18-2006 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chris Collinsworth commented yesterday that if the Bears can keep up this kind of offense, he's picking them for the Super Bowl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, way to put it all on the line there Cris.

Case Closed 09-18-2006 11:56 AM

sluss,

I know what you mean, it's hard to not get really excited. It's great to have a taste of a real offense for once. Although Rex will have to pay everyone once and a while for his aggression.

Hester looks like a great talent, but man he needs to tone it down a bit. That one return worried the [censored] out of me yesterday.

Brian707 09-18-2006 12:08 PM

It will be great to see this team on turf. If the defense looked fast the first two games it will look even faster on the turf. I just hope Rex stays healthy

bugstud 09-18-2006 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It will be great to see this team on turf. If the defense looked fast the first two games it will look even faster on the turf. I just hope Rex stays healthy

[/ QUOTE ]

they've done worse on turf, much worse, IIRC.

That said, this team is living up to the lofty expectations and just needs to avoid key injury.

Russ M. 09-24-2006 04:14 PM

Bump for what will be considered a big win. It's still getting ridiculous that this team cannot run the ball, though.

MyTurn2Raise 09-24-2006 04:16 PM

puke...ridiculous how Minny handed the game over

The Bears are probably a better team, but Minny should've won today. They just didn't take advantage of their chances and handed the Bears a golden egg.

Jack of Arcades 09-24-2006 04:22 PM

What you don't seem to understand is that Minnesota sucks. They've been handing games away for a while now, but teams have handed it right back to them.

MyTurn2Raise 09-24-2006 04:25 PM

no...I understand how Minny sucks. I said the Bears are probably a better team. However, today was a Minny win most of the time.

neverforgetlol 09-24-2006 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What you don't seem to understand is that Minnesota sucks. They've been handing games away for a while now, but teams have handed it right back to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

our defense for the most part outperformed yours. without the fumble we'd have the game.

Jack of Arcades 09-24-2006 04:29 PM

If you replay the last however many mins of the game? Maybe. If you replay the game over and over again? No way.

edit: spelling

Jack of Arcades 09-24-2006 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

our defense for the most part outperformed yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a Bears fan now?

MyTurn2Raise 09-24-2006 04:30 PM

yep...over and over

Remember, Grossman got away with what should've been an easy pick 6 earlier in the game

Minny was basically out-bearing the Bears

neverforgetlol 09-24-2006 04:34 PM

both defenses were good, min was a bit better, our offense gave you the game. our team does not suck as far as i can tell.

Jack of Arcades 09-24-2006 04:37 PM

So even though you believe

[ QUOTE ]
The Bears are probably a better team

[/ QUOTE ]

You think Minnesota would win the majority of games based on one game?

Colonel Kataffy 09-24-2006 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
both defenses were good, min was a bit better, our offense gave you the game. our team does not suck as far as i can tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Minnasota's defense looked good because they brought lots different blitzes that apparently the our offense is to stupid to figure out. Expect to see this from every D the bears play untill they show they can stop it.

Also, the bears O handed the vikings a TD with that stupid interception, so really, this neither team deserved a win here.

crockpot 09-24-2006 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What you don't seem to understand is that Minnesota sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

classic.

memo to lovie and ron: hand the starting job to griese now! you have the power!

Mr. T 09-24-2006 07:34 PM

Sluss 09-25-2006 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What you don't seem to understand is that Minnesota sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

classic.

memo to lovie and ron: hand the starting job to griese now! you have the power!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Grossman played fine. Sure he made a few bad passes. I was kind of glad because I wanted to see how he would react if he wasn't playing perfect. And I think he asserted himself very well especially when the Vikings were bringing 6 and 7 guys on every play. Do we really have to call for his head everytime he throws for less than 70% and throws *gasp* a bad pick?

I hate to break it to everyone that keeps calling for him but Griese is a monster choker. The guy has cracked under presure everywhere he has been. I like having him as a solid back-up, but the only way this team wins games when the defense doesn't dominate is with Grossman.

What I don't understand is the straight up abandoning of the running game. The Bears started running the ball well in the begining of the game. And then waited until the middle of the 4th quarter to even try again. An even distribution on first down is one thing, but when the Vikings are just running everyone at the line you should at least try and slow them down.

And what the heck was with those challenges? What Childress made a terrible challenge so Lovie had to reciprocate?

The defense still needs to tackle better and Ron Turner needs to remember that it's okay to run the ball more than you pass it, even if your not rolling off 10 yards on every run.