Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Heads Up Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   NLTRN: Situations where you do not continuation bet (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=548323)

daveT 11-17-2007 03:53 PM

Re: NLTRN: Situations where you do not continuation bet

The frequency of your c-bet is less important than the size of your c-bet. There is no worth in c-betting pot-size if you can take it down with a c-bet 1/2 pot size and gain the same information. The frequency of your c-bet depends on several factors:

How many hands you play:

Obviously, the more hands you play, the more you must be willing to c-bet. The less hands you play, you should probably c-bet less frequently to induce bluffs. The frequency of your c-bet depends on how your opponent adjusts to you, if at all.

How often your opponent folds to the c-bet:

If your opponent folds too often to a c-bet, then there is no reason to stop. At this point, you may want to consider playing 100/100.
'
Your opponent calls too much:

Now we lost the bluffing part of our c-bet. Against a passive opponent, you should drop your frequency, and most importantly, the size of your c-bet. It is not a good idea to simply stop c-bet bluffing here.

Finally, you opponent c/r's constantly:

I continue c-betting. This match should not last long.

The priority should not be to figure out a specific opponent, but to figure out the general tendencies of the opponents at your level, and play until proven otherwise, which will not happen often.

gl;

hra146 11-17-2007 04:11 PM

I think WHEN to cbet is like >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>> how much to cbet. I cbet standard amounts and somebody would need to do a lot of convincing work to change that. HUsngs are just way too short to get such accurate reads as to alter the amounts (more...) profitably (...than the std amount).

mb6tour 11-17-2007 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you can explain what are your lines in relation to your holdings against someone c/r too much.

daveT 11-17-2007 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you can explain what are your lines in relation to your holdings against someone c/r too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

The main reason why people are struggling to beat the 5s and 11s is that they refuse to gamble. If they c/r too much, you must be willing to push back marginally. You should figure that their calling range is larger than what you would think is sensible.

The best is when they constantly c/r ai, you must be willing to call with middle pair, etc. it is unlikely that you will get good money when you hold a big pair or the nuts, so you must extract with marginal hands. They aren't as thin as they seem.

An example would be holding 85 on a 35T board. You c-bet and face a c/r ai. This is likely a call. One of the last 11's I played was against a winning player. I held 42 on a 345 board facing a c/r ai. I called and he showed A6. I have 72% equity. Against a losing player, this is a clear call.

tmcdmck 11-17-2007 05:48 PM

dave is giving some good advice. my ability to call all ins with utter crap is, i reckon, worth afew % points of roi. of course it does lead to the occasional (by that i mean pretty regular) hand where i look like a total drooler. on days where it goes wrong you feel like a moron, but on days where it goes right you feel like the top poker player in the world. i work on the principle: villain shoves into a small pot on a non drawy board before the river and there is no metagame in play/ you have no read on this then they do not have much. has served me well. (beware of people who shove small top pairs on low flops before calling AI with AQ high :P)

ChicagoRy 11-17-2007 06:00 PM

Your situation is pretty basic/vague but don't be so results oriented or more accurately don't forget you're behind a ton more when they have a better 5/T+ compared to when they get it in with AQ or something on that board.

mb6tour 11-17-2007 06:02 PM

Great advice, thanks DaveT & tmcdmck

daveT 11-17-2007 06:14 PM

It is true that sometimes you make the wrong decisions, and some basic stuff looks risky, but you aren't going to get better at this game if you peddle the nuts all day.

[ QUOTE ]
Your situation is pretty basic/vague but don't be so results oriented or more accurately don't forget you're behind a ton more when they have a better 5/T+ compared to when they get it in with AQ or something on that board.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT:

If people are playing 5s and struggling, it is only a 5 dollar lesson to learn the difference, or make it 2, if you choose.

ChicagoRy 11-17-2007 06:22 PM

I'm not saying I don't call in that situation, I'm just saying you should be a little more specific with your examples so people don't take you the wrong way.

Somekid 11-17-2007 06:26 PM

Yeah, I think the only reason I'm calling an a/i there is because I have a pair AND an OESD. Calling a c/r ai with something like mid-pair (and maybe one overcard) on a dry board seems like a huge leak to me...barring a huge pot or a specific read.