Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Great Cocktails (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=515115)

absoludicrous 10-03-2007 09:28 PM

Great Cocktails

When I'm at a bar, I often like to mix up my usual IPA with a nice stiff cocktail. Usually a GT. However, this routine is getting old.

What are some ridiculously good cocktails?

PhilBeans 10-03-2007 10:38 PM

Re: Great Cocktails

Jim Beam and Ginger Ale FTW. It has to be real ginger ale though, dont let the bartender claim they can make it. I've gotten plenty where they mix 7-up and bitters and try and pass it off this is not cool. Schweppes or Canada Dry only.

MrWookie 10-03-2007 11:04 PM

Well, I know a lot of [censored] about good cocktails, but I think a better question is how good is your bartender, and how well-stocked is the bar? Barring that, a good cocktail you should be able to get at any self-respecting bar is a Manhattan. 2 oz bourbon or rye, 0.5-1 oz sweet vermouth, depending on taste, and a dash of bitters served straight up. Garnish w/ a cherry. I don't know why some people default to serving this on the rocks, but I don't think it's as good that way.

bigmonkey 10-03-2007 11:48 PM

OK I am going to contribute to thsi thread with something fairly noobish. I basically don't even drink alcohol, although I would listen to alcohol recommednations for the juice drink I have been enjoying recently. Basically I bought some exotic juices and started mixing them up. My current favourite is a 60% mango juice and 40% pomegranite juice. What is amazing about it is how they don't seem to actually mix together? I think they are different densities or something, so it's like a multi-coloured drink and looks brilliant, and the taste is good too. Firstly, can anybody explain why this is happening? Secondly, what other things can I add to this to give me 3 colours at the same time? By the way, these aren't on top of each other, like oil on water. It's hard to explain but yeah.

MrWookie 10-03-2007 11:52 PM

The alcohol I'd add to the above juice mix is coconut rum. If not that, plain light rum. If not that, vodka.

Mango juice is usually very syrupy and viscous, more so than pomegranate juice. I think they'd mix together eventually, but it'd take longer due to the different viscosities.

katyseagull 10-03-2007 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically I bought some exotic juices and started mixing them up. My current favourite is a 60% mango juice and 40% pomegranite juice. What is amazing about it is how they don't seem to actually mix together? I think they are different densities or something, so it's like a multi-coloured drink and looks brilliant, and the taste is good too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post a picture. I want to see [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
And where does one buy pomegranite juice?

katyseagull 10-04-2007 12:23 AM

Happy Birthday Absoludicrous!! I hope you have a great day.

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/6969/cosmoxr4.jpg

MrWookie 10-04-2007 01:02 AM

Katy,

I can buy Pom brand pomegranate juice at super WalMart. Most grocery stores should have it.

MrWookie 10-04-2007 01:07 AM

Oh, and the drink Katy posted is a Cosmopolitan.

1.5 oz vodka
1.5 oz cranberry juice,
0.75 oz Cointreau (or triple sec)
0.75 oz lime juice

Garnish with the lime, as shown. Due to its association with Sex and the City, you have to be pretty comfortable w/ your masculinity if you're a straight man who orders this. That's not to say it's a bad drink, but it has a bad rep.

absoludicrous 10-04-2007 01:22 AM

Katy, I love Cosmos, there my go to martini drink. Regardless of their reputation. When I go to a bar, I get the biggest [censored] umbrella in my drink. Usually a request for one of the patio table umbrellas.

For the sake of walking around the bar often and meeting people, I'd like something in a high or lowball glass.

I'll try one soon, but how are Sidecars? Unfortunately, there aren't many bartenders around the U of Minn that can make such a classic drink... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Wookie, I'm not much of a bourboun/whiskey/scotch drinker, but I'll give the Manhattan a shot on your recommendation.