Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Can players with very loose preflop selection be winners? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=536096)

roggles 11-01-2007 12:02 PM

Can players with very loose preflop selection be winners?

Tried searching, but it gave nothing. I know very little about LHE, so this is a quite basic question about the game.

Today I played 5/10 against a loose aggressive semi-retard. In hold em he raised almost every hand preflop when it was folded to him (no matter the position), and he called raises all the time. He also did plays like 3-betting 36o and then betting all the way. He had 1000 bets at the table, so he was probably just playing around. Obviously I pegged him as a bad player that will probably give me profits.

What I wonder is if a loose style can win money in the long run in limit hold em. I don't think I've ever seen it, but this is rumored to be true in NLHE. What is the case in limit?

One Outer 11-01-2007 12:35 PM

Re: Can players with very loose preflop selection be winners?

as you describe, no.

TheCount212 11-01-2007 01:38 PM

Agreeing with One Outer (sorry man)... as described, this is heehaw poker. But it IS possible to loosen up a little PF, especially if you can see more flops cheaply, and play better than the opponent after the flop. But playing and raising 63o is not a recipe for success.

The important thing is to loosen up to a degree you feel comfortable, and not get sucked into playing crazy just because it seems to be getting the money at the moment.

James. 11-01-2007 02:03 PM

nope. eventually they bleed dry. they may run hot for a bit and look good, but a hot streak can make alot of crappy players think they're good.

KenProspero 11-01-2007 02:31 PM

Generally no, however, remember, in the land of retards, the semi-retard is king, so I suppose we could find a table somwehere where it would be profitable.

mikeca 11-01-2007 03:01 PM

I have seen people play like this and run over a table of very passive players for a while. They scare the passive players out of pots until they figure out that the maniac is raising with air. Then they start calling him down with almost anything.

I have seen a several players that play like this for a couple of cycles. Once they get caught a few times raising with air, they slow down a lot. I’m sure their thinking is that they will get more action on their good hands after playing like a maniac for a few cycles. If they can sit down at the table and run hot for the first few cycles, I suppose this can be profitable, but when you sit down and run cold, you will lose a lot of money.

mwette 11-01-2007 03:12 PM

As mikeca says, this "maniac" strategy can work.
It is written up in HAP, I believe.

I saw this a couple of weeks ago in B&M 3/6 game.
This guy would bet 50% of his hands all the way
down. At the river he would be heads up. But if
he wins 1/3 of the hands he will be good. I
called him down once and beat him with A-high.
I left the table because I did not have position
on him. I described his strategy to the guy
sitting next to me and he said "I just play my
cards". You can see why the maniac had a big
chip stack.

The best way to play these guys is to sit to their
left, wait for cards and re-raise. HAP calls this
"isolate and punish". Once you are onto him he
won't last long.

One Outer 11-01-2007 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreeing with One Outer (sorry man)... as described, this is heehaw poker. But it IS possible to loosen up a little PF, especially if you can see more flops cheaply, and play better than the opponent after the flop. But playing and raising 63o is not a recipe for success.

The important thing is to loosen up to a degree you feel comfortable, and not get sucked into playing crazy just because it seems to be getting the money at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you considering trying that? I foresee lots of sighing...

TheCount212 11-01-2007 04:15 PM

I'm actually not overly tight PF.. (ie: limping with Kxs, Qxs, 64s, 97o, etc...). I like to see more flops than the average rock, and play tight (and hopefully not too weakly) from then on.

AKHobbes 11-01-2007 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He also did plays like 3-betting 36o and then betting all the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is the MAN! 63o is the almighty DEVASTATOR... ask me about my blog....hehe