Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Stud8 - Kinda-steal with kinda-ok hand in kinda-ok spot (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=550958)

roggles 11-20-2007 09:19 PM

Stud8 - Kinda-steal with kinda-ok hand in kinda-ok spot

What do you think of the streets here?

I almost have to raise/bet 3rd, 4th and 5th right? What about 6th. I paused for a second here. I am sure everyone is coming in here to say OMG BET but I'm not so sure I am getting great value. I mean, wtf does he have?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($5/$10), Ante $1, Bring-In $1,50 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 7: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.90 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (2.95 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (4.95 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

River - (6.95 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___folds
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (6.95 BB - $69,50)

xxeximusxx 11-20-2007 09:22 PM

Re: Stud8 - Kinda-steal with kinda-ok hand in kinda-ok spot

This whole hand is so opponent dependent...

if villian isn't going to fold a pair of nines or stop chasing to a low then i'd just dump it on third.

roggles 11-20-2007 09:51 PM

I actually thought I had an equity advantage against a pair of nines on third [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] It's just that a pair of nines sucks so hard. I guess maybe it sucks more out of a metagame perspective?

Andy B 11-20-2007 11:54 PM

AQ2 sucks pretty hard too.

Andy B 11-20-2007 11:56 PM

I think you played it fine apart from the initial call.

ChipsAhoya 11-21-2007 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AQ2 sucks pretty hard too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found that these "maybe two-way" hands really really suck in Stud8, so you have to be REALLY careful playing them...

However in this hand you are a very slight equity dog vs. 998 (46%) and with all the dead kings I think it's definitely a reasonable play here since you can have him make mistakes on later streets.

-ChipsAhoya

roggles 11-21-2007 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't call. So do you advocate folding in this spot? I think that seems pretty bad ...

Hamlet 11-21-2007 01:12 PM

I think 3rd is a fold. You have a trash hand. You can't steal the antes, as someone has entered the pot, albeit with a hand that may actually be worse than yours.

The two factors that make it a fold:

1. The Rake. Any edge you might have against the limper's worse trash will be eaten by the rake.

2. The bring-in could have a hand. If he does, you've put yourself in a money-losing spot.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't call. So do you advocate folding in this spot? I think that seems pretty bad ...

[/ QUOTE ]

roggles 11-21-2007 02:45 PM

Actually, I had a note on seat 4 that said he had limped and folded on 3rd when I raised an ace in steal position earlier. I should have mentioned this I guess

Hamlet 11-21-2007 03:26 PM

That does help your chances. I never bother with hands like this though, although I currently only play 1-2 and 2-4. I find so many hands where I have a big edge that I don't see any reason to mess with something this close.

Maybe 5-10 requires some of this. I would be leery of entering a pot with a hand this bad though.

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I had a note on seat 4 that said he had limped and folded on 3rd when I raised an ace in steal position earlier. I should have mentioned this I guess

[/ QUOTE ]