Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sports Betting (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Detroit/Oakland Series (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=231094)

PropPlayer 10-08-2006 03:49 AM

Detroit/Oakland Series

Detroit/Oakland Series

I’m sure some discussion on this series will come up soon but figured I’d ask about it now.

I’m not a baseball expert at all. I usually just bet occasional dogs and follow recommended plays of the more knowledgeable posters in forums.

Anyways:

At the beginning of the season I bet Detroit to win the American League at some great odds. I’m curious now if I decide to hedge this when would be the best time to hedge?
I’m guessing the best time is probably going to be sometime between now and the first game?

Also I am looking forward to reading discussion on the series.

TheRover 10-08-2006 06:11 AM

Re: Detroit/Oakland Series

Please don't hedge [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Recliner 10-08-2006 09:18 AM

I'm curious as to:
What were the odds you got, how much did you bet, what % of your bankroll does that make up? Also, how badly do you want the money?

At the time I checked Pinnacle the series price was:
Tigers -111
A's +101

At +101, it is pretty close to being 50/50 for who will win the series, you should be in a situation that is close to neutral in terms of how it will affect your EV.

Covering you initial bet or doing a 75/25 split on the payout could be a great way to go. You can also wait to hedge at any time during the series. If Detroit drops a game or two you'll have a less valuable, but still profitable hedge, but you also get the chance to win your bet.

PropPlayer 10-08-2006 02:05 PM

Don’t get me wrong I was not asking if I should hedge or not, I was asking if anyone has thoughts on when would be the best time to do so. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
I got 80 to 1 before the season on the tigers to win the AL. The win amount is about 90% of my current bankroll. This is a situation where my personal decision is to hedge now; I had made this bet thinking that maybe I could likely sell it quickly for a small profit because 80 to 1 was insanely good odds but nothing I though I would win. Then the Tigers started winning games, I almost sold a few weeks into the season when they were 25 to 1 but decided to just hang on.

brendanb438 10-08-2006 02:17 PM

If the win is 90% of your bankroll then this is a situation that hedging would be in your best interest, whether -ev or not. Hedge that so you get like 60/40 with the 60 on the Tigers since they have been soooo good for you.

-Brendan

Thremp 10-08-2006 02:25 PM

I'd probably be sketchy and hedge games instead. But thats cause I'm a clown.