Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   NFL Midseason Rankings (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=540327)

lastchance 11-07-2007 05:58 AM

NFL Midseason Rankings

1. Patriots (9-0) - Tom Brady's AYPA: 9.48. 2nd best AYPA (ben's): 8.04. Tom Brady having good season.
2. Colts (7-1) - Colts let backup RB Dominic Rhodes, starting CB's Jason David and Nick Harper, and starting LB Cato June go in the offseason. They improved at every one of those positions.
3. Cowboys (7-1) - I said Tony Romo wasn't a good NFL QB at the beginning of the season. I'm a moron. Also, plz to be running Marion Barber more instead of splitting his carries with Julius Jones.
4. Steelers (6-2) - Not a good year to be a good team in the AFC. Ben's all the way back from that motorcycle injury, and the defense is playing excellent, but the offensive line is going to be a problem in the playoffs.

5. Packers (7-1) - *insert homoerotic Brett Favre comment here*
6. Titans (6-2) - *insert homoerotic Vince Young comment here* except VY and the entire Titans offense has sucked (except Chris Brown, who's been hurt lately).
7. Giants (6-2) - Despite Tiki Barber's retirement, RB is not an issue with this team due to Jacobs, Droughns, and Ward.
8. Vikings (3-5) - RB really isn't an issue with this team either. Best run defense in the league. Of course, when it comes to matters of passing..
9. Chargers (5-3) - RB isn't an issue with this team either.
10. Jaguars (5-3) - Desperately needing David Garrard back. Also need Marcus Stroud.
11. Buccaneers (5-4) - There are lots of teams wishing they signed Jeff Garcia.
12. Eagles (3-5) - They've played a fairly difficult schedule. McNabb, while not as good as previous years, is still an above average QB.
13. Seahawks (4-4) - Shaun Alexander is absolutely done.
14. Redskins (5-3)
15. Lions (6-2) - Yeah, I still don't buy it yet. Kitna is obviously good, but Kevin Jones and Lions defense? Eh. Probably making the playoffs though.
16. Browns (5-3)
17. Bills (4-4) - I don't think anyone expected them to be near average.
18. Bengals (2-6) - Carson Palmer, Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmanzedah still good. Everyone else? Not so good.
19. Texans (4-5)
20. Chiefs (4-4) - suzzer, I was wrong. The Chiefs don't totally suck.
21. Ravens (4-4)
22. Saints (4-4) - Remarkable turnaround after losing 1st 4 games.
23. Cardinals (3-5)
24. Panthers (4-4)
25. Bears (3-5) - Offense is pathetic, but defense has also regressed quite a bit.
26. Broncos (3-5)
27. Raiders (2-6)
28. Falcons (2-6)
29. Dolphins (0-8)
30. Jets (1-8)
31. 49ers (2-6) - Thank you scheduling gods for letting the Seahawks play this team twice this year.
32. Rams (0-8) - See above.

Assani Fisher 11-07-2007 06:50 AM

Re: NFL Midseason Rankings

I'll go.....

1. NE
2. Indy

3. Dallas
4. Green Bay
5. Tennessee
6. Pittsburgh

7. Detroit
8. NY Giants
9. New Orleans
10. Cleveland
11. Jacksonville
12. Kansas City
13. San Diego
14. Buffalo
15.Tampa Bay
16. Minnesota
17. Washington

18. Arizona
19. Houston
20. Seattle
21. Carolina
22. Philly
23. Baltimore
24. Chicago
25. Denver
26. Cincy

27. Oakland
28. NY Jets
29. ATlanta
30. SF
31. Miami
32. St Louis

100,902 and counting

BigCummins 11-07-2007 06:55 AM

Thats the exact same top 7 I have. From there on down I'd just have to say your being creative.

vixticator 11-07-2007 06:55 AM

The Vikings would prob be 7-1 with Jeff Garcia and favorite in NFC, lol. As it is though they are fairly one dimensional in everything. Pass game does not exist but it almost doesn't matter because of how good AD is. And the pass defense is mediocre. Stopping the run and running the ball, according to standard mythology this team should be unstoppable. Not so much.

bottomset 11-07-2007 07:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Vikings would prob be 7-1 with Jeff Garcia and favorite in NFC, lol. As it is though they are fairly one dimensional in everything. Pass game does not exist but it almost doesn't matter because of how good AD is. And the pass defense is mediocre. Stopping the run and running the ball, according to standard mythology this team should be unstoppable. Not so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

even with the terrible QB play they have been competitive in every game

couple 3point road losses, the Dallas game had a 10point swing on a blocked FG, they had rough games at home vs Philly/GB

their schedule upcoming is one where they could get to 9-7

@GB, @NYG are rough games

the other 5 are winnable games

Kneel B4 Zod 11-07-2007 08:40 AM

I think the NYG are due for a tumble, they have played an awfully easy schedule. DVOA has them #11, that seems about right.

Jack of Arcades 11-07-2007 08:48 AM

Weighted DVOA...

1 NE
2 IND
3 DAL
4 PIT
5 TEN
6 TB
7 GB
8 MIN
9 JAC
10 SEA
11 NYG
12 SD
13 PHI
14 BUF
15 CLE
16 WAS
17 NO
18 CIN
19 DET
20 BAL
21 ARI
22 KC
23 CAR
24 HOU
25 DEN
26 ATL
27 CHI
28 MIA
29 NYJ
30 OAK
31 STL
32 SF

BillNye 11-07-2007 09:10 AM

I want to bet against the Packers on something, how far they will go, their end record, odds at winning division. Something because they are super overrated.

Suigin406 11-07-2007 09:18 AM

boo, the winless fins ahead of even the jets??

Nonfiction 11-07-2007 10:34 AM

How are the Eagles ahead of the Redskins when they are 2 games back and lost to the Redskins 20-12?

Nonfiction 11-07-2007 10:36 AM

Also LOL @ the Bengals at 18 and the Saints at 22. The Bengals are AWFUL.

Kneel B4 Zod 11-07-2007 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also LOL @ the Bengals at 18. The Bengals are AWFUL.

[/ QUOTE ]

they've played a really hard schedule.

capone0 11-07-2007 10:49 AM

Philly is the most overrated team with DVOA. They have looked awful each and every week other than the Detroit game.

Edge34 11-07-2007 10:54 AM

It may just be me, but if you ask me who has the potential to NOT finish the season 0-fer between St. Louis and Miami, I'm taking Steven Jackson, Marc Bulger, and Torry Holt over Trent Green, Ronnie Brown, and Chris Chambers....oh...wait....

Just saying, putting Miami ahead of anybody before John Beck proves he's bringing something to the table...I don't know....

Nonfiction 11-07-2007 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats great. They are 2-6. I think its a bit late in the season to be ranking teams on "potential."

Nonfiction 11-07-2007 11:28 AM

Also, the Chargers are 4-4 not 5-3

Kneel B4 Zod 11-07-2007 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats great. They are 2-6. I think its a bit late in the season to be ranking teams on "potential."

[/ QUOTE ]

umm, yeah...the idea is that they are 2-6 partially b/c they've played a really hard schedule. put them on a neutral field with the 6-2 Lions and I think you have a close game

Jack of Arcades 11-07-2007 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Philly is the most overrated team with DVOA. They have looked awful each and every week other than the Detroit game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aaron Schatz even mentions this. Yeah, it's weird, they've look absolutely terrible every week - except for two - but who below them would be significant favorites to beat them at a neutral site? The teams right below them - NO, CLE, BUF, WAS would probably be favored by 3 points. You would think Detroit, but Philly absolutely manhandled them. Most of the other teams have looked bad to awful with the notable exception of KC.

hoyasnaxa 11-07-2007 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

12. Eagles (3-5) - They've played a fairly difficult schedule. McNabb, while not as good as previous years, is still an above average QB.
13. Seahawks (4-4) - Shaun Alexander is absolutely done.
14. Redskins (5-3)
15. Lions (6-2) - Yeah, I still don't buy it yet. Kitna is obviously good, but Kevin Jones and Lions defense? Eh. Probably making the playoffs though.
16. Browns (5-3)
17. Bills (4-4) - I don't think anyone expected them to be near average.
19. Texans (4-5)
20. Chiefs (4-4) - suzzer, I was wrong. The Chiefs don't totally suck.
21. Ravens (4-4)
22. Saints (4-4) - Remarkable turnaround after losing 1st 4 games.
24. Panthers (4-4)
25. Bears (3-5) - Offense is pathetic, but defense has also regressed quite a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF. First of all, Philly should be about 25th on this list. Second, would people please stop saying McNabb is above average? He is well below average. He is a rich man's Steve McNair. Seriously what are these rankings? I would put all the teams I left above the eagles.

tdarko 11-07-2007 01:09 PM

Jack- I would put Det, No, Cle, Was ahead of Philly without much hesitation. The fact that DVOA has them ahead of all these teams makes me think what I have always thought about DVOA--that it serves its purpose, it is a good measuring tool but that it definitely has its holes.

tdarko 11-07-2007 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
umm, yeah...the idea is that they are 2-6 partially b/c they've played a really hard schedule. put them on a neutral field with the 6-2 Lions and I think you have a close game

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, no. They have played a middle of the road schedule and have played like crap, they are team that is splitting at the seams in the locker room, some of their key players from the past are starting to show age and they just aren't very good.

W Bal bad team.
L Cle middle of the road--maybe slightly above avg
L Sea avg team
L NE teh best eva
L KC tough to define-terrible some days tough others--avg team
W NYJ awful team
L Pit really good team
L Buf below avg team

Middle of the road. SOS 18th.

Kneel B4 Zod 11-07-2007 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, no. They have played a middle of the road schedule and have played like crap, they are team that is splitting at the seams in the locker room, some of their key players from the past are starting to show age and they just aren't very good.

W Bal bad team.
L Cle middle of the road--maybe slightly above avg
L Sea avg team
L NE teh best eva
L KC tough to define-terrible some days tough others--avg team
W NYJ awful team
L Pit really good team
L Buf below avg team

Middle of the road. SOS 18th.

[/ QUOTE ]

per dvoa, their schedule has been 4th hardest in the league. now, if you don't like dvoa, ok.

tdarko 11-07-2007 02:06 PM

DVOA also has Philly rated too high.

I watch the games and can determine for myself what a team can and can't do. I think I could throw for a couple scores against Cincy right about now--the rest of that defense plays dead too.

Jack of Arcades 11-07-2007 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jack- I would put Det, No, Cle, Was ahead of Philly without much hesitation. The fact that DVOA has them ahead of all these teams makes me think what I have always thought about DVOA--that it serves its purpose, it is a good measuring tool but that it definitely has its holes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yeah, of course it has holes. Here's what Aaron wrote on the Eagles this week:

[ QUOTE ]
The greatness of the top four teams is screwing with our perceptions of the rest of the league. Let me give you an example: the Philadelphia Eagles. Every week, the Eagles seem to look worse and worse and yet they stay high in DVOA. This is the second straight year this has happened, but all the declining veterans are a year older now and it sure doesn’t seem like there is a late-season surge coming. DVOA ranks the Eagles 12th, and that team I saw on the field at the Linc Sunday night sure didn’t look like one of the top dozen teams in football.

However, the Eagles looked that bad in large part because the Cowboys are so good. The middle of the league is pretty bunched together right now. It seems ridiculous to have them 12th, but look at the teams ranked below them and ask yourself: which of these teams would you really favor to beat the Eagles on a neutral field? The Chargers, maybe… but the Chargers are ahead of the Eagles in weighted DVOA anyway. The Redskins? Jason Campbell is struggling as much as Donovan McNabb lately. I don’t think the Eagles are really better than the Browns. Brian Westbrook is the kind of player who should kill the Bills defense. The Bengals don’t even have a defense. The Lions? Didn’t the Eagles totally beat them down a few weeks ago? Remember, that game counts in the ratings too.

Once you look closer at the rest of the league, Philadelphia being 12th in regular DVOA and 13th in weighted DVOA really isn’t that strange.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I mean, you'd put 4 teams ahead of Philly that aren't there now? I mean, you're gonna move Philly down like 4 spots. The biggest jump would be Detroit who Philly destroyed, but DVOA still only considers Philly to be about 2.5 points better than.

The way this season has gone there's a well defined top 4, and you know a team like TEN and GB are in the top 10, but what else? Pretty much every team outside of the bottom 8 or so has looked wildly inconsistent. It's hard to tell what's real and what's not.

SL__72 11-07-2007 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Second, would people please stop saying McNabb is above average? He is well below average. He is a rich man's Steve McNair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this is way off.

First, just based on his stats this year he is pretty average for a starting QB.

Second, his receiving core sucks, like bottom 5.

Third, the Eagles pass blocking has been terrible this year, again, like bottom 5.

capone0 11-07-2007 02:42 PM

Eagles found a way to win last year with Garcia at the helm, and Stallworth wasn't really available.

Last year Phi was middle of the pack passblocking and they really just had 1 outlying game without Thomas at line that has skewed the stats. I don't think McNabb has had a lack of time. I honestly just don't like how he's throwing the ball this year.

Curtis is actually pretty solid according to FO. Might again be the 1 outlying game against Det. Brown is pretty blah. Last year they found a way to win with Brown and Stallworth. Curtis this year > Brown last year and Brown seemed to have regressed this year.

Their WR are terrible but that hasn't changed really much from year to year e/c the TO year. They still have WB.

prohornblower 11-07-2007 02:42 PM

Vikings 7 slots higher than Lions!?

dlk9s 11-07-2007 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vikings 7 slots higher than Lions!?

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. Ranking them #8 seems to be a bit of an overreaction to AP's record setting game. Sorry, but you can't be a top ten team with a losing record halfway through the season.

kyro 11-07-2007 02:52 PM

Of Cinci's 4 games at home, they won two of them, and lost the other two to the Pats and Steelers (1st and 4th in DVOA).

Of their 4 games on the road, they've lost to 4 average teams, (two of which have notoriously difficult stadiums to play at).

Maybe the Bengals aren't good, but they're not as bad as some of you people looking at only their record are making them out to be.

capone0 11-07-2007 02:54 PM

They are not that good without a good 3rd WR. Maybe things will turn around with Henry coming back and CJ's probable return. Their D is terrible though but that might be a function of their O being pretty mediocre so far. They really don't have great RB play nor do they have a good TE. They also lost a lineman in the offseason to Cleveland who seem to be on the up and up.

CieloAzor 11-07-2007 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The teams right below them - NO, CLE, BUF, WAS would probably be favored by 3 points.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wash is probably the best of those teams, and they're favored by 3 AT HOME this week, so no.

The public's perception of the Eagles right now is extremely low because their worst two games of the season have been nationally televised primetime games. Admittedly, they've looked pretty sloppy and out of synch in the majority of their games, but they've still been close in every one, aside from the most recent (Yes, Dallas totally outclassed them).

The team's perception also likely suffers because they had high expectations heading into the season and have failed to meet them. But the fact is, as badly as they've played, they're awfully close to being 5-3 anyway.

Also a nice job by OP to have Saints and Lions not sniffing the top 10, but Lions still shouldn't be in the upper half of the league. Good list overall.

kyro 11-07-2007 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are not that good without a good 3rd WR. Maybe things will turn around with Henry coming back and CJ's probable return. Their D is terrible though but that might be a function of their O being pretty mediocre so far. They really don't have great RB play nor do they have a good TE. They also lost a lineman in the offseason to Cleveland who seem to be on the up and up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Their offense is far from mediocre. Yes, the defense is bad, but the offense is almost as good as the D is bad. The Bengals are slightly below average. 18th is pretty much perfect.

Billy Bibbit 11-07-2007 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DVOA also has Philly rated too high.

I watch the games and can determine for myself what a team can and can't do. I think I could throw for a couple scores against Cincy right about now--the rest of that defense plays dead too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you watched every game that's been played in the NFL this year? I watch about as many games as anyone but there are still some teams that I've only seen play once or twice and there's no way my opinion of those teams is more accurate than what the stats say.

TheNoodleMan 11-07-2007 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of Cinci's 4 games at home, they won two of them, and lost the other two to the Pats and Steelers (1st and 4th in DVOA).

Of their 4 games on the road, they've lost to 4 average teams, (two of which have notoriously difficult stadiums to play at).

Maybe the Bengals aren't good, but they're not as bad as some of you people looking at only their record are making them out to be.

[/ QUOTE ]
Another way to look at is that they have 2 wins. One against a pretty underwhelming Baltimore team that had a chance to tie the game at the end but failed due to gross offensive incompetence. The other a win over the Jets, who they made look like a legitimate offensive team.

hoyasnaxa 11-07-2007 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Second, would people please stop saying McNabb is above average? He is well below average. He is a rich man's Steve McNair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this is way off.

First, just based on his stats this year he is pretty average for a starting QB.

Third, the Eagles pass blocking has been terrible this year, again, like bottom 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not way off at all. The receivers are definitely not bottom 5, Kevin Curtis has been pretty damn good and Brown is the same as always. He also throws to Westbrook every play, like he did last game (18 times). He basically only throws to his checkdowns, or slants to curtis.

More than stats he simply loses games. He lost the Dallas game on the first play of the game, as he as always does. He walks around slowly because he doesnt care and is oh so smooth, is sacked and fumbled. The Eagles pass blocking is fine, he just cant/doesnt move anymore. And another amazing season from Westbrook goes wasted. I hate Mcnabb.

kyro 11-07-2007 03:12 PM

Also, Cinci will probably be favored in 5 of its remaining 8 games. They could very conceivably go 7-9 the rest of the season.

dkgojackets 11-07-2007 03:12 PM

1. Patriots
2. Colts
3. Steelers
4. Cowboys
5. Packers
6. Titans
7. Giants
8. Chargers
9. Lions
10. Saints
11. Jaguars
12. Eagles
13. Vikings
14. Redskins
15. Browns
16. Bucs
17. Seahawks
18. Chiefs
19. Ravens
20. Bills
21. Texans
22. Bears
23. Bengals
24. Cardinals
25. Broncos
26. Raiders
27. Jets
28. Falcons
29. 49ers
30. Panthers
31. Dolphins
32. Rams

kyro 11-07-2007 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another way to look at is that they have 2 wins. One against a pretty underwhelming Baltimore team that had a chance to tie the game at the end but failed due to gross offensive incompetence. The other a win over the Jets, who they made look like a legitimate offensive team.

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh*

And they held the Pats to 34 points. They must have a great D!

I know their D sucks. I've said that. But I also said their offense is good enough for the most part to almost make up for it.

Put it this way. All you DVOA naysayers. If you were handed the list of teams' DVOAs, and you were asked to predict who won each game that the Bengals played given their schedule, you would have them at 2-6.

If they had switched their home and away games for the first 8 games of the season, they would be favored in 5 of the 8 games.

wizardplow 11-07-2007 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Also a nice job by OP to have Saints and Lions not sniffing the top 10, but Lions still shouldn't be in the upper half of the league. Good list overall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Saints looks like a different team now than the first 4 weeks, and have destroyed the last two teams they played. Offense is clicking again, and the defense has been decent. Probably a top 3 team in the NFC, imo.

SL__72 11-07-2007 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this is way off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not way off at all. The receivers are definitely not bottom 5, Kevin Curtis has been pretty damn good and Brown is the same as always. He also throws to Westbrook every play, like he did last game (18 times). He basically only throws to his checkdowns, or slants to curtis.

More than stats he simply loses games. He lost the Dallas game on the first play of the game, as he as always does. He walks around slowly because he doesnt care and is oh so smooth, is sacked and fumbled. The Eagles pass blocking is fine, he just cant/doesnt move anymore. And another amazing season from Westbrook goes wasted. I hate Mcnabb.

[/ QUOTE ]

What 5 teams have worse receivers?

Assuming you are an Eagles fan, you are just spoiled if you hate McNabb. He isn't as good as he once was, but he is still in the top half of starting QBs.