Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   why does this forum care so much about religion (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=521521)

xxThe_Lebowskixx 10-12-2007 01:32 PM

why does this forum care so much about religion

I debate religion sometimes and my main motive is usually to be mean. I cannot think of another subject where I can pawn someone to a ridiculous extent as much as religion. Its like arguing with a child who thinks Santa Clause exists. People who believe in Christianity aren't going to change their mind when you present logic reasoning. If they were interested in logical reasoning, they wouldn't be Christians. If person makes it past the age of eight-teen and there aren't already huge doubts in their mind of Jesus's existence, there is nothing you can do.

So shouldn't we find something more interesting to discuss regardless of the ego boost it gives us to rip the zealots?

PLOlover 10-12-2007 01:34 PM

Re: why does this forum care so much about religion

well as I have posted before, it is the foundation of our anglosaxon legal system.

I mean the bible.

pokervintage 10-12-2007 01:35 PM

Math and science are not arguable thus the interest in religion.

pokervintage

Nielsio 10-12-2007 01:35 PM

My thoughts regarding just about everything have changed drastically between the age of 20 and 25.

luckyme 10-12-2007 01:47 PM

Theism is a problem in our world. Understanding how the mind of a theist works may allow us to deal more effectively with it. Even if it's just a matter of learning how to compromise with them to lessen the impact.

It's not a matter of winning converts from the committed, it's learning the attractions it has for the non-committed so the alternative of taking a rational approach to life is more open to them. What psychological need is being met by religion that can be addressed without the need to take on superstition and myth and how to provide something in it's place.

You're likely right about the 18ish age as getting ingrained, but it varies with the person and the depth of indoctrination. They're getting past the most questioning time of their life by then and if they haven't any doubts of any strength they're not likely to unless they have an adverse reaction to a bad experience. Late defection does occur but it'd be foolish to expect much turnover there.

luckyme

luckyme 10-12-2007 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]

Science isn't arguable?
Which scientific position today is not open to question? The edges are even of interest to a layman.

luckyme

pokervintage 10-12-2007 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Theism is a problem in our world.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Someone believing in God is a problem for you? LoL.

pokervintage

tame_deuces 10-12-2007 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]

Science isn't arguable?
Which scientific position today is not open to question? The edges are even of interest to a layman.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

One might even say that science _being_ arguable makes it what it is.

luckyme 10-12-2007 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]

My cousin is gay. My aunts neighbor was in the tower. My neighbors cousin was raped and needs an abortion. My best friends sister-in-law's niece has aids in africa. My ....

Yep. It's a problem for me. How personal does it have to be before it can be deemed a problem? I'm not a gay pregnant person with aids in africa if that's what you're wondering.
( I made up the other stuff).

luckyme

tame_deuces 10-12-2007 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]

Belief in god is one thing, and alone it isn't a problem. Theistic doctrine and the actions that follow from them are big problems. Technology, medicine, philosophy and law are only a few of the fields which have often been held back by this.