Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Charity Events (PPA involved) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=535239)

Berge20 10-31-2007 09:28 AM

Charity Events (PPA involved)

Do we allow charity event postings?

The PPA is teaming up with Horton's in the DC area:
Linky

Normally I don't have a problem with it, but given it is a PPA related event--it may be viewed as soliciting membership, perhaps?

Berge20 10-31-2007 10:13 AM

Re: Charity Events (PPA involved)

PS - The PPA guys PM'd me and asked if the above is appropriate.

Related thread that one of our Legislation Forum regulars started

Linky

Gildwulf 10-31-2007 10:17 AM

I also have a question about this...one person wanted to post about donating to Dana Farber for the Boston Marathon (a friend was running)

and sent this link
link

was unsure how to proceed, as it would be a direct donation to dana farber

iron81 10-31-2007 10:34 AM

I thought the main reason we don't like fundraisers is the risk of a Vig esque scam. I'm currently allowing a Ron Paul Fundraiser thread because the money is going directly to the candidate with a minimal risk of a scam. For Gildwulf's link, it looks like the money is going directly to the research institute and the individual fundraiser merely gets credit, so I'd let it go.

For Berge's link, I don't think that the OP constitutes spam because a 3rd party posted it. However, I might lock it for being off-topic.

MrWookie 10-31-2007 10:35 AM

I don't know who Dana Farber is, but my personal inclination would be to allow posts about giving directly to well-known charitable organizations but ban posts about giving to individuals, even if they say they'll give the money to a charity.

Gildwulf 10-31-2007 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know who Dana Farber is, but my personal inclination would be to allow posts about giving directly to well-known charitable organizations but ban posts about giving to individuals, even if they say they'll give the money to a charity.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

LINK

Mason Malmuth 10-31-2007 11:28 AM

Hi Berge:

This is just the sort of thing that I'm very uncomfortable with and I do not believe we should allow on our site. I believe it is a mistake to allow any requests for money from our members even if the cause is good.

Best wishes,
Mason

Gildwulf 10-31-2007 11:30 AM

MM,

I planned to do an unofficial bbv christmas drive. The idea would be just post a screenshot or explain a good deed you did on christmas (give a bum a hot meal, donate a grand to charity, etc). It wouldn't be soliciting donations for a specific organization.

Would that be ok?

Mason Malmuth 10-31-2007 11:32 AM

HI Gildwulf:

I don't thnk this should be allowed either. By allowing stuff like this, we'll open the flood gates (so to speak) and some of this stuff, as we saw with the CEO Poker Tour, won't be legit.

Best wishes,
Mason

Mason Malmuth 10-31-2007 11:35 AM

In general I think it's wrong to be asking our members for money. If you want to talk about your good deeds, that's a little different as long as the money aspect of the equation is not part of it.

Best wishes,
Mason