Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   The Wallet Test (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=519121)

daryn 10-09-2007 01:42 PM

Re: The Wallet Test

oh god i would love to see that chris hansen [censored]

z28dreams 10-09-2007 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The sample size is pretty small. They're using numbers like "44%", when they really mean "4 out of 9".

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, exactly. Looking at percentages for each subgroup has almost no statistical relevance.

I don't remember stats perfectly, but I believe using a proportion the 80% confidence interval for 4/9 would be something like:

4/9 = 44%

.44 +- ( .44(1-.44) / 9 )^.5 * 1.28 = .21

So, we can say with 80% confidence that the true percent is between 23% and 65%. Ya, worthless sample size.

(feel free to fix my stats - it's been quite a while and it could be wrong)

NhlNut 10-09-2007 01:51 PM

What if you returned the wallet but kept the money? Or kept a $20 as a finders fee?

Having lost a wallet in the past, I was happy to get it back sans money.

En Passant 10-09-2007 02:09 PM

So if I say most black people are theifs, does that still make me racist?

skunkworks 10-09-2007 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So if I say most black people are theifs, does that still make me racist?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, and a bad speller too.

Toro 10-09-2007 02:33 PM

What about Indians(Asian).

Two weeks ago I'm buying something in a convenience store and there's a wallet on the counter in plain sight. I look outside and see a young couple about to get into their car.

I say to the Indian clerk who is looking right at the wallet "did someone leave their wallet" and he says "yeah, that last guy". WTF. So I run out and tell the guy he left his wallet on the counter.

Now, it's possible the clerk was going to run out and get the guy if I didn't say anything but it sure didn't look that way.

Note: Too small a sample size? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

TiK 10-09-2007 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about Indians(Asian).

Two weeks ago I'm buying something in a convenience store and there's a wallet on the counter in plain sight. I look outside and see a young couple about to get into their car.

I say to the Indian clerk who is looking right at the wallet "did someone leave their wallet" and he says "yeah, that last guy". WTF. So I run out and tell the guy he left his wallet on the counter.

Now, it's possible the clerk was going to run out and get the guy if I didn't say anything but it sure didn't look that way.

Note: Too small a sample size? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, all Indians are theifs.

JackInDaCrak 10-09-2007 02:38 PM

everyone in that test was white or black. There are no other races.

RainDog 10-09-2007 02:38 PM

This just tells me that people with lots of money are likely to give the wallets back (ie. higher percentage of old people and white people with money than young people and black people).

But since women make less on average than men...well I guess they are just better people.

skunkworks 10-09-2007 02:38 PM

THIEF. T-H-I-E-F. EYE BEFORE EEE ACCEPT AFTER SEA