Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Top Set : bet flop or c/r flop or c/r turn? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=331757)

Scipio 02-14-2007 09:43 AM

Top Set : bet flop or c/r flop or c/r turn?

Hero has 100BB Stack.

Known players:
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>Position (Stack):
vp$ip pfr ats folded bb
af wts w$sd hands

CO (410.10):
22.4 16.6 46.2 22.8
7.2 28.9 52.6 1044
</pre><hr />
2.00/4.00 No-Limit Hold'em <font color="blue">(6 handed)</font>

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="grey">2 folds</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to $14.00</font>, <font color="grey">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: ($30.00) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $20</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: ($70.00) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($70.00) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="red">Hero bets $50</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: $170.00

MATT111 02-14-2007 10:06 AM

Re: Top Set : bet flop or c/r flop or c/r turn?

Preflop is bad. The way this hand played out illustrates part of the reason why it is bad.
As played just calling the flop is ok I guess. I still like a c/r better. Villain knows the flop did not hit that many hands and may want to continue with a wide range. Depends on how likely he thinks you are making a play on such a dry flop.

staring_elf 02-14-2007 10:06 AM

meh, he didn't have anything. i play it the same usually and go for a turn c/r and hope he has a flush or an overpair he won't let go.

c/r flop is fine and so is bet flop actually if you think he'll raise or bluff at it.

i think c/r turn is the most optimal usually though but there's valid arguments that can be made for all 3 lines

staring_elf 02-14-2007 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

preflop is totally standard although a 3bet is fine too.

Jay Riall 02-14-2007 10:15 AM

How is preflop bad? Postflop looks fine imo, too bad he didn't have much.

MATT111 02-14-2007 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don`t care if it is std or not. I just think it is a bad play.
1) Villain has a very wide opening range from the Co. Why would we give him a cheap look at the flop when we are so far ahead and have a hand that may run into trouble post.
2) When we see a flop and hit a set we want a decent chance to get all our money in. This just won`t work very often in a &lt;10BB pot oop.

Praetor 02-14-2007 10:51 AM

pre-flop is not bad in any way

SexWithSocksOn 02-14-2007 10:52 AM

postflop is terrible IMO, check/calling and then checking to him again on the turn? way to not extract anything - lead or check raise that flop please.

staring_elf 02-14-2007 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don`t care if it is std or not. I just think it is a bad play.
1) Villain has a very wide opening range from the Co. Why would we give him a cheap look at the flop when we are so far ahead and have a hand that may run into trouble post.
2) When we see a flop and hit a set we want a decent chance to get all our money in. This just won`t work very often in a &lt;10BB pot oop.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're building a pot OOP where almost any flop will be tough to play. 99 isn't that much better than something like 66 imo. they play very similar post flop. i just dont think its profitable to build a pot up OOP with a hand that unless we flop a set with we can almost never be too comfortable with. if CO is anyway decent he will float you enough to make this a tough hand to play profitably.

i don't mind a 3bet per se, and i often will do just that depending on image, CO's stats etc, i think its good to mix it up and keeps CO honest, but to say its a bad play to never 3bet 99 from the bb is...well, wrong.

EDIT: btw your number 2 point is way off. we want a raised pot in general so that when we flop a set we have a decent chance to play for stacks. 3betting is unneccesary from the point of view of wanting to stack him by flopping a set.

when i 3bet here its with the intention of repping a huge hand, and making him fold preflop or on the flop to a cbet. its not to build a pot for the times when we do flop a set. the pot will already be big enough to get it all in over 3 streets from his initial open raise