Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Golf (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   My Swing Video (Driver) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=488728)

midfielderdave 08-29-2007 12:05 AM

My Swing Video (Driver)

Hey everyone, I've been checking out the golf forum a lot lately and was wondering if anyone would analyze my swing a bit. I've played golf since I was 13 (now 22), but only got serious about getting better and playing more the past two years.
I've never had a formal lesson and have been averaging 2 rounds per week during the summer. I don't get the opportunity to golf much early in the season, or in the fall.
Anyway, I'd greatly appreciate any pointers you may have, thanks,
Dave

BTW, this particular shot was a banana slice...

YouTube Swing Video

LetItBe 08-29-2007 12:43 AM

Re: My Swing Video (Driver)

Holy backswing! You need to stop about 3 seconds earlier.

midfielderdave 08-29-2007 01:13 AM

I guess I didn't realize how far my backswing was going.
Is it just more difficult to control a big backswing? Compared to what I'm doing now, should I do a 3/4 swing?
I think part of my problem is that most of the time I'm trying to crush the ball which I know is a recipe for disaster.
What about my hips or my lower body movement?
Thanks,
Dave

squashington 08-29-2007 04:11 AM

Backswing plane looks good. Taking it way too far back though, the club should be parallel at the top of your backswing.

It looks like you have a weak grip but I may be wrong. Do you tend to slice the ball? You grip should look like this, with the 2 V's pointing straight up to your sternum.

http://www.golf-swing-instruction-ti...olf_grip_6.jpg

JTrout 08-29-2007 09:25 AM

Your head drops down and forward quite a bit during your backswing, causing the need to pull up and out on the throughswing.

Work on maintaining a proper posture and balance on the takeaway, and your shots should begin to improve.

Best of luck.

RacersEdge 08-29-2007 11:02 AM

John Daly junior.

Your upper body moves around a lot. Think of the swing as rotating around your spine. You might need a wider base too. (Can't really tell for sure though from that angle.)

midfielderdave 08-29-2007 02:08 PM

I used to have what I thought was called a "strong" grip style where my right palm faced the sky. I was told that the open space between my left thumb and right hand on the grip was allowing the club to turn, resulting in my slice. For that shot, I tried more of a standard grip without interlocking my pinky. I felt like I lost a lot of flexibility with the new grip, and I felt like I couldn't swing as fast either.
I rarely use my driver now because I don't have much confidence with it. It's usually a slice, or I end up topping the ball (because of excessive head bobbing?). Every once in a while I crush it straight.

I looked at some swing visions on YouTube and the only player who took it back that far was John Daly. He can get away with it, but not me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

John Daly Swing Vision

midfielderdave 08-29-2007 02:10 PM

My stance is a little wider than shoulder width, with my left foot lined up a few inches left of the ball.

Are my feet moving too much also?

RacersEdge 08-29-2007 10:26 PM

Your feet look OK to me from that angle. Another thing is that your swing plane is very upright because you finish with your arms up around your head instead of by your left shoulder. That swing plane would cause pulls and slices.

TripleH68 08-29-2007 10:26 PM

At the top of your backswing it looks like you are "across the line." Click on the following link for an example.
position at the top