Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   QJo UTG+1 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=546326)

Passaman 11-14-2007 07:58 PM

QJo UTG+1

6-max

Curious what you all would do ordinarily. UTG + 2?

curious123 11-14-2007 08:11 PM

Re: QJo UTG+1

Raisy daisy.

jay_shark 11-14-2007 08:23 PM

I'd raise 6-handed utg .

RustyBrooks 11-14-2007 08:59 PM

There are some short handed holdem forums that can give good advice here. When I played a lot of 6max holdem I remember there being lots of charts and what not floating around, that were pretty good starting places.

Passaman 11-14-2007 09:42 PM

TY, I usually raise myself, but wondered if it was considered the most +EV play

futuredoc85 11-14-2007 11:07 PM

unless you're sick postflop fold it UTG and UTG+1. QJs you can raise tho. reverse implied odds are a bitch in that spot

mattak 11-15-2007 01:45 AM

As a default for open raising in 6max

utg = AA-22, AQo+, AJs+
utg +1= AA-22, AJo+, A9s+, KQo

CO & Button = huge range

I am very tight in early position and very loose in late position. I will adjust these ranges dependant upon table dynamics of course.

RustyBrooks 11-15-2007 01:49 AM

You fold KQs UTG? I'm not 100% sure if I'd fold KQo.

One thing to note is that UTG is EP preflop but middlish post flop. I play starting hands a lot like MP for fuller tables, not quite like UTG for fuller tables.

jay_shark 11-15-2007 01:56 AM

Matt , you have some inconsistencies in your pre-flop range . You're willing to fold A-jo utg 6 handed and yet you would raise with pocket 2's .I recommend that you keep stats to determine if you think pocket 2's is more profitable than a-j .

So what i'm trying to say is that if you're willing to raise with pocket 2's utg , then you should be willing to raise with A-j utg 6-handed .

I personally think your requirements are a bit on the tight side .

mattak 11-15-2007 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Matt , you have some inconsistencies in your pre-flop range . You're willing to fold A-jo utg 6 handed and yet you would raise with pocket 2's .I recommend that you keep stats to determine if you think pocket 2's is more profitable than a-j .

So what i'm trying to say is that if you're willing to raise with pocket 2's utg , then you should be willing to raise with A-j utg 6-handed .

I personally think your requirements are a bit on the tight side .

[/ QUOTE ]

I have done a lot of thinking, working on this, studying my pokertracker results, playing about 100k hands of 6max up to 5/10NL, with a winrate over 4ptbb. Not bragging just saying I have put in some time. Anyway, I have found that as a default, especially when multitabling, I like to be really tight in early position. My over all PT stats are 23/18 over my last 10k hands so you can imaging how large my range is in late position. I dont believe its ever a mistake to be too tight in early position, I will open up more if I have reason to.

As far as the 22 vs. KQ debate, I can see your point, however, I don't like being OOP with possibly dominated hands like AT, KQ etc. I find that the added range of the lower pairs gives me a little deception early on and doesnt get me into trouble. As well the occasionally well disguised set is nice. Basically, I would rather face a flop raise to my cbet when holding 22 vs. AT on an A 9 4 board. I can fold comfortably and not have to make tough decisions when OOP.

I dont view myself as an incredibly talented poker player so I try to make the game as simple as possible in early position.

Earlier in my career my range was wider but I have slowly come around to this line of thought.