Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   TR: Magic the Gathering (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=531310)

huber117 10-25-2007 06:11 PM

TR: Magic the Gathering

this thread is the followup to the previous thread i made asking why there were so many magic pros were poker pros.

first off, i never played the game before, i have no dungeons and dragons background, ive never been into geeky stuff like this, i have a gf, and a good job (assistant project manager for a construction management firm renovating 4 schools, project worth 33million and im only 19). my point is, im a somewhat normal person, id say not much different from most of you guys other than the fact that i got a ballin job at 19 with no degree and i see my gfs [censored] bounce in my face just about every morning before i take her to work. key poit- im not inclined to this sort of thing.

so i go to yahoo, find my way to magics online version of the card game, figure out the rules/ flow of the game, download the demo, and suck for about an hour. at first i thought there was too much luck and the other guys were pros, but the demo was beginners only using default decks, so i tried and started getting thos "ooohh i get it" moments. i start winning a bit, still mostly losing, but i definitely start to see the strategy, skill needed to be good at ths game. even thought its a demo its really a pretty good game cuz every match is always different and its no doubt fun and challenging. stil not sure if i should pay 10-20 bux to get a custom deck, theres thousands of different cards/ strategies and i think it takes some time figurin it all out. when i do have free time/ bored ill check it out some more. one message i got from a 2+2er is that its better with friends so you can learn, talk, and strategize about it, which makes sense but i dont want to turn this into a real hobby. the fact that its online would keep me away from the annoying nerd hangouts/ conventions so thats nice. all in all its a pretty good game if your mature enough to get over the "wizards and magic are teh gay" stuff. some commitment needed but im sure its worth it if you have time and friends to go along with you.

Cancuk 10-25-2007 06:38 PM

Re: TR: Magic the Gathering

Great post!

nazahl 10-25-2007 07:00 PM

pics of girlfriends [censored] or it didnt happen

Oranzith 10-25-2007 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i see my gfs [censored] bounce in my face just about every morning before i take her to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

nope

tuq 10-25-2007 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i see my gfs [censored] bounce in my face just about every morning before i take her to work.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't know "mud flaps" was censored.

EDIT: hmmmm.

Klompy 10-25-2007 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't know "mud flaps" was censored.

EDIT: hmmmm.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not, but "beeef curtains" is.

stabn 10-25-2007 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

so i go to yahoo

[/ QUOTE ]

Whole long paragraph that says "i'm not a nerd" not really needed if followed by "so i go to yahoo".

Cancuk 10-25-2007 07:21 PM

But how is your job?

Kimbell175113 10-25-2007 07:46 PM

This will be interesting. Thanks for keeping us informed, huber.

<nerd alert>

Once you get a bit better, I recommend this article for strategic basis: http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/3690.html

</nerd alert>

lennytheduck 10-25-2007 08:38 PM

I haven't played MTG since high school, and now, five years later I somehow heard that there was a new set coming out.

As I have been finding myself increasingly bored with poker, I figured I'd give it a shot. I played a few matches and a booster draft today and realized that Magic can still be pretty fun.

The new set is coming out (online anyway) in a week or so and I think I might get back into it a little bit as a diversion.

huber117 10-25-2007 08:46 PM

i figured mentioning a gf would be too much for oot. anyways the jobs going really well. before that i was an estimator for a framing/ drywall company, that job was a real bitch. now i work on site in a little trailor office making sure the contractors do there stuff, way easier job and it pays $18.5 instead of 15 and hour. somebody asked thats why im explaining it. i dont really get to brag about my situation to my real friends cuz i know its dooshy thats why im doin it here. my friends got a real thing about my gf "mudflaps" lol but if i bragged to them, my gf would find out and thats not good.

kimbell i was about to start reading your link but ima save all that stuff for later if i do get around do commiting some time to the game (actually ill read it when i get hme or ill never get around to it thanks for sharing the link). i kinda dont like that you have to get really into it, poker took long enough to kinda get decent at and im slightly over break even at the bodog $5 super turbo sngs.

jws43yale 10-25-2007 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i figured mentioning a gf would be too much for oot. anyways the jobs going really well. before that i was an estimator for a framing/ drywall company, that job was a real bitch. now i work on site in a little trailor office making sure the contractors do there stuff, way easier job and it pays $18.5 instead of 15 and hour. somebody asked thats why im explaining it. i dont really get to brag about my situation to my real friends cuz i know its dooshy thats why im doin it here. my friends got a real thing about my gf "mudflaps" lol but if i bragged to them, my gf would find out and thats not good.

kimbell i was about to start reading your link but ima save all that stuff for later if i do get around do commiting some time to the game (actually ill read it when i get hme or ill never get around to it thanks for sharing the link). i kinda dont like that you have to get really into it, poker took long enough to kinda get decent at and im slightly over break even at the bodog $5 super turbo sngs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great job huh, $18.50 and hour. If you put in your 2000 hours a year that is all of a $37,000 salary. Pretty baller if you ask me. I mean don't all mad ballers plays games that are so cool like magic.

huber117 10-25-2007 10:36 PM

hell ya its mad ballin when your 19 and pay 400 for rent (share an apartment). especially when youve been told your whole life youll be another screwup and even though i got scholarships, it still wasnt enought to go to the college i wanted to. im sure 38k (before taxes dam) isnt much to some of the grown people/ daddy pays for everything people, but by the time im 25 i should at least be at the 75k mark (boss makes $37/ hour, i should be where he is in at most 4 years). keep in mind this is with no college work, starting out with no money, all on my own steam. how many people out there can really pull that off? and playing magic comes with doing whatever i feel like.

rja87 10-25-2007 10:39 PM

If you don't want to spend much and actually want to play competitively you should play limited, a decent constructed deck for any format will cost like 150-200 min.

27offsuit 10-25-2007 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Great job huh, $18.50 and hour. If you put in your 2000 hours a year that is all of a $37,000 salary. Pretty baller if you ask me. I mean don't all mad ballers plays games that are so cool like magic.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's 19. 37K is really good and it has a lot more future than poker.

F the haters.

Also, dude [censored] Magic.

danzasmack 10-25-2007 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't played MTG since high school, and now, five years later I somehow heard that there was a new set coming out.

As I have been finding myself increasingly bored with poker, I figured I'd give it a shot. I played a few matches and a booster draft today and realized that Magic can still be pretty fun.

The new set is coming out (online anyway) in a week or so and I think I might get back into it a little bit as a diversion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an MTGOnline account and do a draft or two every now and then. Fun game. Expensive IMO but it's great for those "i'm in front of my computer and bored" moments because those are usually when you play poker and don't play well.

furyshade 10-26-2007 01:08 AM

i played magic seriously from the time i was like 13-16, it is so much worse than poker. there is infinitely more variance, the people who play it any longer than i did are the bottom of the social barrel, this is part of why i quit. people who are good at magic are ridiculously cocky but are horrible at life. its a time sink because you need to spend so much time adjusting to new formats that it is pointless, and unless you are good enough that people will essentially stake you and lend you decks for a cut you can never be profitable at the game. let me reiterate, the people that play magic seriously are the most dysfunctional you will see at one place, think comic book nerds with a superiority complex

huber117 10-26-2007 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, dude [censored] Magic.

[/ QUOTE ]

just my thought when i saw this post

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't want to spend much and actually want to play competitively you should play limited, a decent constructed deck for any format will cost like 150-200 min.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was down for about 20 bux maybe 30 if i really liked it. like the strategy/ challenge of it but not enought to spend hours just to figure it all out. demos still fun though

RoelofZ 10-26-2007 01:57 AM

MTg is poker for when you are 16.
Its an awesome game i agree, and i got into poker through mtg, but i think poker is more fun, rewarding in the end.
I still play mtg from time to time though.

34TheTruth34 10-26-2007 03:17 AM

PM me next time you're on, I'll give you some of my extra cards for deckbuilding purposes.

Rootabager 10-26-2007 04:08 AM

you can play in apprenctice leagues for free. I played when I was in 6th grade, then last year my buddy and I downloaded apprentice and played with all the old cards. it's fun if you have 2 computers in the same house.

Jack_Burton 10-26-2007 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

can we all put this d-bag on ignore?

wow, I'm cool, u only make 17 an hour or whtever, what a tool

JackWilson 10-26-2007 04:26 AM

Anyone who feels the need to rationalise their personal decisions like this "I have a gf" crap smacks of low self-esteem and insecurity. Grow some backbone. We don't need to think you're cool.

JackWilson 10-26-2007 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i played magic seriously from the time i was like 13-16, it is so much worse than poker. there is infinitely more variance, the people who play it any longer than i did are the bottom of the social barrel, this is part of why i quit. people who are good at magic are ridiculously cocky but are horrible at life. its a time sink because you need to spend so much time adjusting to new formats that it is pointless, and unless you are good enough that people will essentially stake you and lend you decks for a cut you can never be profitable at the game. let me reiterate, the people that play magic seriously are the most dysfunctional you will see at one place, think comic book nerds with a superiority complex

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL. Bad memories? Enjoy your new superiority complex, you ignorant [censored].

Fedorfan 10-26-2007 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, i have to agree. i played mtg from 13-16 and i can still remember thinking the older kids that hung out at or worked at the comic book stores that were obsessed with magic were the biggest douches i'd ever met. Considering all the time i spent when i was younger playing various video and computer games with friends, i'd have to say playing magic with friends was definitely up there in terms of most fun.

1dentifier 10-26-2007 05:44 AM

I pretty much gave up magic when I started playing poker. Both are fun but poker makes money and magic costs money.

A lot of the people that play magic 'seriously' are complete [censored] too. Even some of the people I play with down the pub are nitpicky wankers. It's a much better game when played for fun with mates than when it's played for (usually [censored]) prizes.

Brag/Beat: I have actually won cash money playing magic.

mused01 10-26-2007 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hell ya its mad ballin when your 19 and pay 400 for rent (share an apartment). especially when youve been told your whole life youll be another screwup and even though i got scholarships, it still wasnt enought to go to the college i wanted to. im sure 38k (before taxes dam) isnt much to some of the grown people/ daddy pays for everything people, but by the time im 25 i should at least be at the 75k mark (boss makes $37/ hour, i should be where he is in at most 4 years). keep in mind this is with no college work, starting out with no money, all on my own steam. how many people out there can really pull that off? and playing magic comes with doing whatever i feel like.

[/ QUOTE ]

your post really put my life into perspective again. poker does that sometimes.

that said, I would KILL myself if I made $18.50/hr, let alone $35/hr. and I'm 20.

Slow Play Ray 10-26-2007 07:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

F the haters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually agree with you, but in this case OP is clearly a knob.

27offsuit 10-26-2007 07:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

F the haters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually agree with you, but in this case OP is clearly a knob.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh. In that case [censored] you OP you [censored] douchebag mother-[censored] [censored] bitch [censored] mother [censored].

You're right Ray. It felt much more natural writing that.

4 High 10-26-2007 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

your post really put my life into perspective again. poker does that sometimes.

that said, I would KILL myself if I made $18.50/hr, let alone $35/hr. and I'm 20.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I'm not defending anyone's comments, but why the hell would you detest making that much? How much do you expect 20 year olds to make?

kagame 10-26-2007 12:22 PM

Artwork and writing on the cards is almost always excellent. Very well made product. Kagame endorses.

black_drake 10-26-2007 03:34 PM

MTGOnline sucks.

Live MTG is where it's at - how else can you smack talk and act like n3rd5?

RayPowers 10-26-2007 04:23 PM

I try to run a booster draft at my house every monday still. Its a great way to knock back a beer or two and socialize. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ray

Ser William 10-26-2007 04:36 PM

Emanuel_Desperado plays triggered ability from Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder459560,438:.
Creating 4 tokens.

huber117 10-26-2007 04:56 PM

i posted the stuff about me to get the point across that im a somewhat normal person and before this i never did anything nerdy (comic books, play d&d, collect stamps?, etc). The whole thread is supposed to be a TR from a normal guys perspective playing magic, i didnt mean to draw attention from the "you dont have a gf cuz it seems so impossible for me to have one so you surely cant have one" crowd and the guy who said hed kill himself if he made 75k/ year. no need to hate, just take my post for what it was, a TR on magic from a normal guy. do i like my curent life situation? sure. did i post it to brag? a little, mainly to clarify that i wasnt previously a nerd. if i wanted validation i wouldnt get it from an internet forum.