Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   very tough spot with flopped set (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=533917)

KitCloudkicker 10-29-2007 02:44 PM

very tough spot with flopped set

full 10.

i limp 33 utg. a few more limpers and the blinds check.

flop is K63 all diamonds. SB checks, BB leads. I raise. horrible player cold calls 2. villain 3 bets. for reference, the 3 bettor has:

1) cold called me pf with KK and just called me the whole way on a paired board (I had 66 and thought I was vbetting)

2) had a vpip of at least 80% in the 4 hours or so we've played

3) played a c/c game on all 3 streets on the majority of his hands.

anyway it folds to me. what is my plan?

James. 10-29-2007 02:57 PM

Re: very tough spot with flopped set

if he wouldn't do this with less than the flush, you have a redraw. call and try to hit it. by the river, the pot size is going to require a hell of an accurate read to lay it down. even so, you have bottom set on a monotone board with a loose-passive player going crazy. how often do you really think you're good here UI? i wouldn't think too often.

One Outer 10-29-2007 03:19 PM

Ugh. How do you find yourself in these spots all the time? This just doesn't happen to me that much...

Well, I don't think you're going to fold out the tard on the flop, and that's the only reason I can think of to raise given that we're pretty certain we're drawing. What I would actually be more scared of right now is another set. Don't players this passive usually slowplay a lot if they flop a flush like this? I wouldn't be surprised at all if he turned up with K6 or 66.

I'm calling the flop. The chances I'm behind are just too great. I don't have a workable turn plan right now. On one hand I want to raise and charge Mr. Horrible the maximum to draw. On the other I think I might puke if I got three banged. I'm leaning toward calling. I really think we're drawing, and at least Mr. Sucky give us some overlay.

I think I have to pay this off on the river if I don't catch a board pair and no more diamonds come. But it's close, and I wouldn't think less of you for folding.

Qwijibo 10-29-2007 03:23 PM

Just wondering, OP, what kind of table does it take for you to limp 33 UTG like this. Not a judgment on your play, just a honest question to help me learn. You're obviously expecting to see a couple more limpers, not including the blinds. Can you provide a broader table description, or does the one "terrible player" make limp standard?

BadBigBabar 10-29-2007 03:28 PM

most any table of live limit poker

especially tables with bad loose passive players who like to limp a lot of crap hands preflop

BadBigBabar 10-29-2007 03:28 PM

also please cap the flop
we have a set

*TT* 10-29-2007 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering, OP, what kind of table does it take for you to limp 33 UTG like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Passive and/or prone to large multi-way pots for only 1-2 bets pre-flop. Additionally its a horrible thing to do unless you play very well postflop, have a great image pre-flop, and you can maximize the rare times that you do indeed hit. I'd think its safe to say I wouldn't recommend a lot of the posters in this forum do it, but some would be foolish if they didn't exploit small edges such as limping w/33 UTG.

BadBigBabar 10-29-2007 03:40 PM

tt, i think you haven't played many live lower limit games then lately...

kbdunn 10-29-2007 03:46 PM

Im leaning towards capping the flop. A lot of bad live players tend to either get really passive or really aggressive on monotone boards.

Your villain here has a record of being very passive, his 3 bet could mean a higher set, or more likely a king with a decent diamond kicker (limped AK?), or 6x with a diamond kicker and SD, etc.

If you put him squarely on a higher set or flopped flush, then call all the way down. I can see this villain holding a big flush card and a pair rather than a higher set or flopped flush. Most live tards will play it stupid and raise the turn with their flopped flush instead of playing the flop fast, and instead play the flop fast with a monster draw...in my experience.

The cold caller sandwiched inbetween you two is most likely holding a diamond too or is just really dumb.

Cap the flop and lead a safe turn, re-eval if raised.

DeuceKicker 10-29-2007 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Passive and/or prone to large multi-way pots for only 1-2 bets pre-flop. Additionally its a horrible thing to do unless you play very well postflop, have a great image pre-flop, and you can maximize the rare times that you do indeed hit. I'd think its safe to say I wouldn't recommend a lot of the posters in this forum do it, but some would be foolish if they didn't exploit small edges such as limping w/33 UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]Are you kidding? Small pocket pairs are profitable, and easy to play post-flop. Image means nothing because nobody is paying attention.