Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha/8 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Need Bankroll Management Help (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=479413)

twosteppin 08-16-2007 08:34 PM

Need Bankroll Management Help

Some of you probably have played with me on FTP, and i dont think im that bad of a player ... how much money would i need for every level if i was a winning player? Any advice is appreciated

Buzz 08-16-2007 08:50 PM

Re: Need Bankroll Management Help

twosteppin - I don't know how to make a URL (something you'd click on to find the thread in question).

What I did was go to the bottom of the page on the page you first get to when you click onto the Omaha/8 forum.

There's a blank space there, in between the words "Search forum" and the "search" button itself and I typed "bankroll management" (but without the quotation marks).

Located in the frame that appeared was first a reference to your post (and now probably this reply as well). And there were lots of various references to other posts and threads.

There's a lot of good stuff stored there about bankroll management, various excellent threads. I suggest you try that approach to get some really good advice on the subject.

Buzz

edit:
Then I went back and typed "bankroll management" (with the quotation marks). That might even work better for you.

Kuso 08-16-2007 09:27 PM

1) make sure you're a winning player

2) make sure you don't tilt (major and/or minor)

3) make sure you can adjust to the different types of play at the different levels

4) make sure you know how to adjust to different line-ups at each table/stakes.

5) plan bankroll accordingly

as a general rule, you'll find bigger swings in aggressive games. you'll also find that players at higher stakes are more difficult to push around than at lower stakes (well... you push them around differently). similarly, you'll find bigger swings short-handed than fr.

the important thing is not to do what <font color="green">one frequent poster</font> has done -- he's a donk and is close to busto (at least that's what i hear).

Kuso 08-16-2007 10:51 PM

buzz... you're very thoughtful in your moderating, but my comment was a joke. davebreal is very far from going broke (as far as his poker playing is concerned).

dave likes being the whipping boy, and i haven't taken a good shot in a while, so....

fwiw, pls feel free to edit this post if my humor is somehow inappropriate.

phidelt799 08-16-2007 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
buzz... you're very thoughtful in your moderating, but my comment was a joke. davebreal is very far from going broke (as far as his poker playing is concerned).

dave likes being the whipping boy, and i haven't taken a good shot in a while, so....

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought humor was supposed to be funny [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: Here is the link to a BR discussion. I would like to hear if anybody has changed their thinking on this http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post7245829

Kuso 08-16-2007 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought humor was supposed to be funny [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly a swing and a miss on my part. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Buzz 08-16-2007 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my comment was a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]Sorry, Kuso. I actually thought it might be a joke, but I couldn't tell.

Buzz

Omaha8sPoker 08-16-2007 11:54 PM

<font color="green">Inappropriate remarks deleted. - Buzz</font>

It doesn't appear that Dave is bothered by the joking <font color="green">Omaha8sPoker - I agree. Dave is a good sport in my humble opinion. But the trouble is these sort of discussions tend to snowball and degenerate into tripe. This is a poker strategy forum. - Buzz

Here's a quote from a thread in the "About the Forums" forum.</font>

[ QUOTE ]
Re: Mudslinging, Personal Attacks, and Unsubstantiated Accusations Forum

Hi Everyone:

This forum will not happen.

www.twoplustwo.com is a site that was and is built on content and professionalism. Obviously, I'm aware that is not always the case with some of our posts and threads, but we only encourage our posters to think in terms of quality, we do not require it. On the otherhand, I believe it would be a major mistake for us to have a forum where the idea of quality content and professionalism is rejected by Two Plus Two management. So again, it will not happen.

Best wishes,

<font color="red">Mason Malmuth[/red]

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="green">So where does one go for mudslinging and personal attacks? I don’t know. But not on the Omaha-8 or Omaha-high forums, please. Trouble is, I can't always tell when the poster is joking. This is a forum for discussion of Omaha-8 strategy and related topics. That's just the way things are. Let's keep focused. - Buzz </font>

twosteppin 08-17-2007 02:00 AM

thanks for the link phidelt

MattS 08-17-2007 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: Here is the link to a BR discussion. I would like to hear if anybody has changed their thinking on this http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...ue#Post7245829

[/ QUOTE ]
The numbers in this thread are still correct.

I will add that my largest downswing in PLO8 so far has been 12.5 buy-ins and the second largest 8 buy-ins. This happened over a sample size of 65000 hands (Win rate: 9 PTBB/100, Standard deviation 55 PTBB/100).

Based on my experience you should probably play with a minimum of 15 buy-ins. The exception could be the $25 PLO8 games at Party Poker where a bankroll of 10 buy-ins should be sufficient (Most of the players were really bad when I played there 1 year ago.)