Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Travel (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Going to San Jose, Tell me what to do plz (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=493623)

wacki 09-04-2007 06:30 PM

Going to San Jose, Tell me what to do plz

Going to San Jose w/ a lady friend for a wedding. Plz tell me what places I should visit, where I should eat. What wineries in napa to visit. Thankyou so much for your help!

oddjob 09-04-2007 06:35 PM

Re: Going to San Jose, Tell me what to do plz

aren't you a mod? don't you know about hte travel forum?

aladare 09-04-2007 06:46 PM

dude, SJ sucks. I'd travel up the 101 North a bit to silicon valley, like Burlingame is quaint and has cool hangouts...and even go further north to San Francisco b/c that town rules- and it's less than an hour but not including traffic, so never know...but there's the train that i've taken and it was nice and much faster, and don't have to worry about parking in SF city.Have fun!!!

-ala

XXXNoahXXX 09-04-2007 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
aren't you a mod? don't you know about hte travel forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he's going with the "i'm a mod, so i can post this oot where it will get more traffic w/o fear of reprisal or banning."

TheMetetron 09-04-2007 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dude, SJ sucks. I'd travel up the 101 North a bit to silicon valley

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh... do you know what San Jose is?

TheMetetron 09-04-2007 07:26 PM

wacki,

Stop being a post-tard and give us something useful. I lived there for 20-something years so I hope I can offer something useful.

nickey009 09-04-2007 07:42 PM

I always enjoyed eating at Original Joes. It's not hockey season so the Sharks are out of the question. If you got kids going with you the tech museum is kinda' neat.

nickey009 09-04-2007 07:44 PM

Oh wow, just checked the website for you.

http://www.originaljoes.com/

Sorry, closed for some remodeling.

Duke 09-04-2007 09:22 PM

The Grill downtown is a good place to grab a steak. I liked it as much this past weekend as I did 6 years ago when I lived up there shortly.

Other than that, just pick a random strip mall. They all look the same, and have all the same stuff. I confuse locations like mad.

The only other thing I miss from up there is a chain place called Tomatina. It's an Italian place with decent food. That's over by Mission College or whatever it is on Great America parkway by the 101 or 880 or something. Google will help you find that one.

Having spent 5 days up there for the first time in a while I can honestly say that just being there makes me want to start a company.

eof 09-05-2007 12:24 AM

goto bay 101?

Ray Zee 09-05-2007 01:40 AM

bay 101 for poker. its on brokaw street right on the freeway. good food there.
best to go to palo alto around downtown for great food and messing around. 20 minutes away.
or take a ride to santa cruz 40 minures to the beach. amazing town there. also go see the monarch butterflies in the town park or go to thepark at the end of the north end of the beach where they have a nice boardwalk to see them. go up the coast some more to ana norazo or something like that park and see the elephant seals on the beach. you need reservations so call ahead.

J.A.Sucker 09-05-2007 01:49 PM

Go to Testarossa for wine tasting in Los Gatos (about 15 minutes from SJ). Los Gatos is a very nice little town - have a lunch at a place called the Wine Cellar - very good food, excellent by the glass wine list, and very mellow. I like hanging out down there.

Downtown Palo Alto - University Ave (20 minutes north) is a really nice town, as Zee said. Lots of great restaurants there - I like Osteria (home-cooked Italian), Evvia's (Greek), La Strada (Northern Italian). There's several nice cafes to just hang out and and relax. On California Ave there is a great resaturant/bar called La Bodeguita Del Medio. Cuban joint - great rums (get the Zacapa 23 year), outstanding wine list, great beer on tap (Chimay!). You can have a cigar and relax (either inside or out). Restaurant there is a must-do as well.

There's some great Asian food of all kinds around SJ, of course, but specific likes would be needed.

I also agree with Zee's suggestions about Santa Cruz, et al. I also like going to Capitola (next to Santa Cruz) to sit on the beach and have cocktails at Zelda's. There's also some good food to be had on the pier at Santa Cruz (I forget the name of this Italian/seafood place, which is a shame because it's excellent).

wacki 09-05-2007 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wacki,

Stop being a post-tard and give us something useful. I lived there for 20-something years so I hope I can offer something useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just got back online.

I'm going to be there for about 9 days for a wedding in a few weeks. I'm going with a girl I've been seeing for a while now. Given that she doesn't play poker *yet* there probably won't be much time for bay 101. I will make an appearance though. Haven't spent much time in CA so the options are pretty open. What other info do you need from me? I will say I appreciate your enthusiasm to help a lot! Thankyou.

wacki 09-05-2007 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think he's going with the "i'm a mod, so i can post this oot where it will get more traffic w/o fear of reprisal or banning."

[/ QUOTE ]

More like I've never even been to this forum. Most of the people I know read OOT, mid/high, NVG, etc so I tried to grab the attention of those people. I generally prefer to get advice from people I recognize and trust their judgment. Amazingly more than a few names I recognize have responded to this thread. Which is pretty cool. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

wacki 09-05-2007 08:02 PM

Ray Zee,

Thanks for the advice. Always an honor to see you replying to one of my threads.

J.A. sucker,

[ QUOTE ]
great beer on tap (Chimay!)

[/ QUOTE ]

That is golden. This is one of my favorite beers. Never seen it on tap before.

Duke,

[ QUOTE ]
Having spent 5 days up there for the first time in a while I can honestly say that just being there makes me want to start a company.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say this? Why not just move there?

haakee 09-05-2007 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
go up the coast some more to ana norazo or something like that park and see the elephant seals on the beach.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's Aņo Nuevo

TheMetetron 09-05-2007 10:11 PM

wacki,

What type of things are you into for recreation? When you normally visit a new city what type of things do you like to do? Favorite foods and price range? Anything you can possibly give us at all. For now, all we really have is a mid-September visit for a wedding with a girlfriend and that you haven't spent much time in CA. Not very specific.

wacki 09-06-2007 09:13 AM

TheMetetron ,

The woman loves food, sports, animals, and has a deep respect for nature. Her two favorite types of food are hole-in-the-wall restaurants and Asian. So far she has mentioned Yosemite, Napa Valley, food, and Sequoia National Park. Outside of poker her interests will probably be very similar to Ray Zees. She makes $80K a year + benefits in Indiana but maxes out retirement and doesn't like to spend a lot.

My interests? I'm up for almost anything. If I'm trying something new I'll be happy.

Thanks for the help Metetron.

TheMetetron 09-06-2007 12:26 PM

Do you both live in Indiana currently? Let me know where you are staying (the general area) when you find out and I'll recommend some good hole-in-the-wall Mexican places that are incredibly delicious. You just don't get Mexican food like that outside of California.

There are also a ton of good asian restaurants in the area as there is obviously a huge asian population. I'm busy at the moment but when I get a free moment today or tomorrow I'll get the details of some good ones.

You are going to rent a car I take it?

wacki 09-06-2007 10:00 PM

The Metetron,

Yes we are both in Indiana. We are staying either in Cupertino or Milpitas area (to be determined). We will have a car and be driving to the Napa valley wineries. Everything else is up in the air.

Thanks for the help.

J.A.Sucker 09-07-2007 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Metetron,

Yes we are both in Indiana. We are staying either in Cupertino or Milpitas area (to be determined). We will have a car and be driving to the Napa valley wineries. Everything else is up in the air.

Thanks for the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stay in Cupertino. Milpitas is not-so-nice in many spots. Cupertino is fairly boring, but very nice. You should also realize that Cupertino is where all the wealthy Chinese folks live in the South Bay, so the Chinese food is great there.

wacki 09-13-2007 01:19 AM

All, thanks for the responses. The girlfriend has a few quick questions she wants me to ask you guys:

-What is the best REI to visit
-What are some reasonably priced but good sushi places?

nickey009 09-20-2007 05:50 PM

If your girl likes noodles I'd suggest this Ryowa Ramen. It's in Mountain View which is fairly close if you have a car.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/G3zHIhqinzGVOwc1nRcAvQ

bluef0x 09-21-2007 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

-What is the best REI to visit

[/ QUOTE ]

What's an REI?

viciouspenguin 09-22-2007 07:15 AM

i lived in cupertino for about 15 years.

for reasonably priced, decent sushi try sushi kuni on de anza boulevard, near stevens creek. its a tiny sushi place next to the petco.

for good chinese food i'd suggest joy luck place in cupertino village.

san jose/cupertino is boring. i'd recommend carmel or sausalito if you want to take her somewhere romantic. SF is awesome, obviously. not sure how long you're willing to drive though. carmel is a healthy 2-3 hr drive, yosemite is like 6hrs, SF is an hour, napa is like 1.5, etc. california is a huge state

let me know if you have any more questions