Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   final table hand (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=543957)

dark_horse 11-11-2007 11:02 PM

final table hand

final table of a small site's MTT - $60 with 1rebuy. guaranteed prize pool of $20k, and the overlay is about $5,600.

final table, 6handed, generally tight play, everyone is pretty short stacked, prize structure is silly and looks like this:

1: 5400
2: 3600
3: 1800
4: 1400
5: 1200
6: 1000
7: 800
8: 600
9: 400
10: 300

blinds are 4000/8000 - 600 ante.

UTG (162k) Folds
MP (51k) Folds
CO (92k) Folds
Button (43k) Folds
Hero is in SB w/ (72k) and an M of 4.6 w/ pocket sixes
BB (85k) awaits your action.

You have a loose, gambling image and have had to show some crap and got lucky.

chuckleslovakian 11-11-2007 11:32 PM

Re: final table hand

Hell this is practically a push with any 2. 66 is a monster here even with a loose image. With a payout like that you have to play for first, any move other than pushing here is bad.

henrikjs 11-11-2007 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hell this is practically a push with any 2. 66 is a monster here even with a loose image. With a payout like that you have to play for first, any move other than pushing here is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, easy push

dark_horse 11-11-2007 11:54 PM

thanks, i figured as much.. dan harrington says you should gamble with any two with an M of under 5 and first in vig, but i think at tighter tables, the M threshold is more like 3, and Q plays a more important role at the final table. i mean, i am 3rd in chips. but the prize structure definitely begs for going for 1st, and that's how i play anyway. i pushed.

if i were to steal the blinds in this spot i might not actually push. these guys were playing so tight i could pick a number to raise and get away from the hand if he were to move in and i were getting less than 2.5:1 on a call. as long as he knows i'm not sizing my raise for this purpose, i don't mind a raise/fold with an M of 4-5 in this situation. it hurts your image but the next time you raise you'll have to push because you will be dangerously close to the dead zone. feedback?

p.s. in THIS case pushing is more correct because you'd love a coinflip, you have a pair heads up, and maybe he'll even call with A5 given your image. plus you don't want to play a pot out of position with a hand like this, which justifies a larger raise. ok i'm done.

yNnOs 11-12-2007 12:02 AM

M is 4.6, but effective M is 3. Instashove.

erc007 11-12-2007 12:02 AM

This is an easy shove...esp if u have the image that u described.

dark_horse 11-12-2007 12:27 AM

how important is effective M, and how do you calculate it? i have a friend who doesn't regard it very highly at final tables, and puts more emphasis on Q.

yNnOs 11-12-2007 12:29 AM

The only place I'd put more emphasis on Q is when its fairly obvious that you stand to gain more by tightening up, considering that there must be (far) shorter stacks if you're regarding Q so highly. In which case, this is more an issue of equity in the tournament.

Effective M is calculated by taking your M, and multiplying the ratio of players sitting now, to seats at the table. For example, with an M of 4.5 and 6 players left at a 9 player table, 4.5 * (6/9) = 3.

dark_horse 11-12-2007 12:31 AM

one last thing about playing a pot out of position with an M of 4-5 in the SB vs a tight BB - is it really possible to make a continuation bet on the flop and not be pot committed when you raised enough to steal preflop? in situations like this it normally feels like push or fold on the flop, which makes me feel silly for not pushing pre. maybe playing a pot with an M of less than 5 out of position is idiocy.

dark_horse 11-12-2007 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only place I'd put more emphasis on Q is when its fairly obvious that you stand to gain more by tightening up, considering that there must be (far) shorter stacks if you're regarding Q so highly.

[/ QUOTE ]

or, more obviously, in a satellite.