Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   why does this forum care so much about religion (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=521521)

MaxWeiss 10-13-2007 12:07 AM

Re: why does this forum care so much about religion

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Atheism promotes neither torture nor murder

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not. Not yet. But wait until the first Atheist Docrine is written and see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I must be stupid because I think you just said that not believing in an imaginary all powerful supernatural big brother requires a doctrine. No, wait, you must be stupid.

MaxWeiss 10-13-2007 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tpir says "Atheism promotes neither torture nor murder, regardless of what implicit ideals you try to draw from a disbelief in God."

Well religion certainly doesn't promote it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be hilarious if it wasn't serious (i.e. so damningly and willfully ignorant).

luckyme 10-13-2007 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Theism is a problem in our world.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Someone believing in God is a problem for you? LoL.

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]

My cousin is gay. My aunts neighbor was in the tower. My neighbors cousin was raped and needs an abortion. My best friends sister-in-law's niece has aids in africa. My ....

Yep. It's a problem for me. How personal does it have to be before it can be deemed a problem? I'm not a gay pregnant person with aids in africa if that's what you're wondering.
( I made up the other stuff).

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Non-Christian regimes were the root cause of the death of perhaps 100,000,000 people last century.

But no need to worry, we're all better, enlightened and all.

[/ QUOTE ]

that 'argument' always seems retarded to me.
"I don't want a bear to eat my dog."
"Why, more dogs are killed by cars than bears".
"oh, ok, then I guess I do want a bear to eat my dog".

Where does it imply that I want to be abused by a non-theist regime? I stated the things I don't want to occur because of some guy doing what his god is telling him. I try to keep the other nutties out of power also.

If Pol Pot comes back in power and kills 40,000,000 next year, I still don't want a rape victim to be forced to go to term in Alabama.
How you read that as support for Pol Pot, or meaning that Pol Pot wasn't worse.... oh, never mind, I do know why.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Accept that it's a trade. Eliminate Christianity and understand that the opportunity for Stalin and Pol Pot is increased, and with it, so is the chance your girlfriend won't be murdering any babies in the womb.

[/ QUOTE ]

The beauty of being an atheist is that I don't have to trade Pol Pot for Pat Robertson, I can hold both their views in contempt. Theists, otoh, have the problem of a shared claim to legitimacy of their ideology. Atheist don't share an ideology or a basis for it with any specific or general atheistic wrongdoer.

luckyme

pokervintage 10-13-2007 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The beauty of being an atheist

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no beauty in being an atheist. An atheist has noone else to blame save himself. That's ugly!

pokervintage

einbert 10-13-2007 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no beauty in being an atheist. An atheist has noone else to blame save himself. That's ugly!

[/ QUOTE ]
Also his billions of ancestors which are the reason for his genetic code.

Jamougha 10-13-2007 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The beauty of being an atheist

[/ QUOTE ]

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think blaming others for your troubles is really beautiful tbh.

pokervintage 10-13-2007 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think blaming others for your troubles is really beautiful tbh

[/ QUOTE ]

Others? Not others. Only the ONE.

pokervintage

InTheDark 10-13-2007 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Atheist don't share an ideology or a basis for it with any specific or general atheistic wrongdoer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Saying it doesn't make it so. To not choose is a choice. To eschew a Christian society is to choose the chaos that lies in the direction of a secular society. It may not be chaotic today and Pol Pot may not self-generate, but the potential is greatly increased.

I'm trying to think of the most foul, doubtlessly Christian* world leader in the last century. Whoever gets the nod, he'll be small beer next to Stalin and Mao, or even Pol Pot.

* Hitler is unacceptable for this 'honor'. It's difficult to point to any substantial Christian philosophy guiding his action.

MidGe 10-13-2007 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
* Hitler is unacceptable for this 'honor'. It's difficult to point to any substantial Christian philosophy guiding his action.

[/ QUOTE ]

How convenient!

PS You must see the last century as very special for chritianity! LOL

InTheDark 10-13-2007 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How convenient!

PS You must see the last century as very special for chritianity! LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

I see it as an absolute indictment of secular/atheist regimes VS Christian regimes. Only the blind or the deluded would believe otherwise.