Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   I have papers to write but who cares...ask me questions about LOST (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=69618)

lennytheduck 03-24-2006 01:27 PM

I have papers to write but who cares...ask me questions about LOST

I'll answer questions about my favorite show.

bwana devil 03-24-2006 02:10 PM

Re: I have papers to write but who cares...ask me questions about LOST

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

will i win $10 from bison?

bwana

Grue 03-24-2006 02:16 PM

whats the deal with the island?

Madtown 03-24-2006 02:17 PM

What do you think the season finale cliffhanger will be?

lennytheduck 03-24-2006 02:18 PM

I'd bet more than $10 that Jin is indeed the father. So no, you will not win your bet with Bison. In my humble opinion.

They've been on the island for quite some time now and all signs point to Sun being at a fairly early point in her pregnancy. So it has to be someone on the island's baby. That leaves Jin and Michael. There is just no way that Michael hit it. The time period in which she would have been most likely to cheat on Jin corresponds with Michael being lost in jungle, or captured by the others, or wherever the [censored] he went.

Add all that to the "magical" things that happen on the island and I think it becomes pretty clear that there's an all-Asian baby on the way.

EDIT: Change $20 to $10

lennytheduck 03-24-2006 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whats the deal with the island?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is way too broad a question. Narrow it down some; have you seen the show before?

lennytheduck 03-24-2006 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think the season finale cliffhanger will be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously this is tough to guess. There are enough episodes left before the season ends for the show to go in a lot of directions.

I imagine it will involve the clock in the hatch going to zero again, with one of the characters being put in a life or death situation where they have to choose to sacrifice themselves for the good of everyone else. Ana Lucia anyone?

This is pretty lame but the best I could come up with on the spot. I've found that speculating more than one episode ahead is nearly impossible to do well.

Action Scott 03-24-2006 02:42 PM

I'm a pretty avid watcher, but I've missed some episodes here and there. What ever happened to Michael and his son, did Michael get killed?

SoloAJ 03-24-2006 02:43 PM

Lenny,

I think that the show is getting too action oriented lately and less about character development that I loved so much about season 1. I still love the show as is, but would like to see more character development. Do you agree with this or are you glad that it now revolves around beating guys up and shooting people?

capone0 03-24-2006 02:44 PM

They left that open. He's been searching, that's about all anyone knows.

jkkkk 03-24-2006 02:46 PM

Dharma initiative, big hippie experiment, government secret op, part of weird spiritual afterlife?

Whats their purpose?

Grue 03-24-2006 02:47 PM

How long before Jin starts speaking fluent english?

Rate Kate Shannon Sun Ana and Dingo on a scale from 1-10.

lennytheduck 03-24-2006 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a pretty avid watcher, but I've missed some episodes here and there. What ever happened to Michael and his son, did Michael get killed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Walt was taken by the other from a raft that Michael, Walt, Jin and Sawyer built and cast off on in an attempt to escape the island. The others approached them in a small motorboat, took Walt, and shot Sawyer. Since then Walt has been seen in the woods by Shannon before she was killed and has also, though I am somewhat wary of this being the whole story, communicated with Michael via the computer in the hatch. Apparently they had some kind of AIM on microcomputers. News to me.

Anyway, after a few of these chats Michael can't take the idea of Walt being gone anymore and goes into the heart of the island after him by himself. Locke taught him how to shoot a gun before he left, and Jack got angry at Locke for encouraging Michael in his quest which was so obviously going to go unfulfilled. Michael left and we haven't seen him since. Theories abound about him either 1. being killed 2. being lost or 3. being captured by the Others. Option 3 seems the most likely to me.

Hope that helps.

lennytheduck 03-24-2006 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lenny,

I think that the show is getting too action oriented lately and less about character development that I loved so much about season 1. I still love the show as is, but would like to see more character development. Do you agree with this or are you glad that it now revolves around beating guys up and shooting people?

[/ QUOTE ]

SoloAJ,

I agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly. I am dealing with the recent change in style by rationalizing that it is a necessary evil in order to advance the plot before we can learn more about the characters and their pasts. Needless to say, my patience is being tried.

That said, next week's episode looks great and hopefully, for me anyway, it will be a Locke episode. His character is of great interest to me.

Action Scott 03-24-2006 02:53 PM

Thanks. That's actually one of the things about the show I've started to dislike. They start on something that seems important, then for 5 episodes act like nothings happened. Same with those monsters/polar bears/things that were killing people, what ever happened to 'em.

lennytheduck 03-24-2006 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dharma initiative, big hippie experiment, government secret op, part of weird spiritual afterlife?

Whats their purpose?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not J.J. Abrams (unfortunately). It is obvious that Dharma is behind whatever it is that this show is "really about." My thoughts are as follows:

I think the show is going to end up having what I have been calling a two-pronged story. There will be the plot and the physical actions that occur on the island and in the flashbacks. By all accounts this is a very intriguing story. But in addition to that I think it is almost undeniable that the entire show has religious/spiritual overtones.

The writers are obviously very gifted. I feel that they will write the rest of the show/series in such a way that watchers can take out of the show what they want. If you want to watch an action based show a lot of mystery and drama based on human to human interaction then you can go right ahead. If you want to look a little deeper and read between the lines as well as the interconnection of the characters then you can get something entirely different, and exponentially more gratifying and interesting in my opinion, ouf of the show.

lennytheduck 03-24-2006 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How long before Jin starts speaking fluent english?

Rate Kate Shannon Sun Ana and Dingo on a scale from 1-10.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long in terms of episodes or of time on the island? Hopefully by the end of the season. I think Jin seems like a potentially cool character, but he is pretty flat right now because he can't successfully interact on any significant level with anyone except Sun.

Kate: 9.9. Evangeline Lilly might be my dream girl.

Sun: 8. She's got a rocking body and a cute face. I like asian girls though, so this is probably too high for people who do not.

Shannon: 7.5 Pretty damn hot. Kind of girl I'd like to hate[censored].

Ana Lucia: 4. I think she's pretty gross. Too masculine. Small boobs. Turbo bitch.

Dingo = Claire? Claire: 8.5. When her mouth is closed. Have you seen the picture of her on IMDB?
Emilie de Ravin

I want to hit her in the face when she speaks. Great to look at though. Great job of casting.

Dids 03-24-2006 03:05 PM

Ana Lucia is in no way shape or form a 4. To me, hottest girl on the show with Shannon in 2nd. Kate doesn't do that much for me.

Grue 03-24-2006 03:08 PM

rate Jack Sawyer Jin Charlie Boone Michael Eko?

capone0 03-24-2006 03:10 PM

Ana Lucia? I think your not going to get a lot of agreement on that one. I don't think she's a 4, but she's not much higher. Was never a fan of her's in Fast and the Furious. She always comes across as total b!tch in the movies.

lennytheduck 03-24-2006 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rate Jack Sawyer Jin Charlie Boone Michael Eko?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll pass.

Sawyer and Eko are both badass.

Charlie and Michael both suck.

Boone is dead.

Jack needs to grow a pair.

I am eagerly awaiting Jin to pull out some Kung Fu on someone.

ptmusic 03-24-2006 04:38 PM

In your opinion, what were the three most important plot advancements that happened this week? (Answers do not have to be "clever")

lennytheduck 03-24-2006 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In your opinion, what were the three most important plot advancements that happened this week? (Answers do not have to be "clever")

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as the immediate future of the show goes, the decision by Ana Lucia to take action regarding Henry Gale is the most important. Long term, the fact that there is a new pregnant woman on the island could be huge. Will be hard to say until we find out more about why the Others took Claire and her unborn child.

#3? I don't really know if there one. This week was definitely a "filler" episode to set the scene for future events. The ongoing feud between Jack and Locke will have to come to a resolution sooner or later. The fact that Henry is adding fuel to the fire is helping bring things to a head.

krimson 03-24-2006 04:54 PM

Why are the others so interested in taking all the children/babies. We've already seen that there are in fact men and women amongst the others and they seem pretty human so why don't they just make their own babies?

lennytheduck 03-24-2006 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are the others so interested in taking all the children/babies. We've already seen that there are in fact men and women amongst the others and they seem pretty human so why don't they just make their own babies?

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been lots of thoughts thrown around regarding this issue.

First, I'm pretty sure that they are taking babies because they can't make their own.

The children were taken because they are "pure." Almost all of the characters, at least the ones whom we see flashbacks about, have checkered pasts full of immoral decisions and actions. Sawyer and Kate are killers, Jin is a hitman type guy, Eko dealt drugs and killed people, Ana Lucia killed the guy who killed her unborn child, etc etc. The children who are taken by the others (we see this from the people in the back of the plane, with Ana Lucia, Eko, Libby and company) have no such transgressions on their plates.

All of this had led many to believe that the island is some kind of purgatory with the Others deciding who goes and who stays. Its more complex than that, but that is it in general terms.

As far as Claire and her baby...that is a whole different, though likely related, subject. Many think that she was taken so that her child Aaron could be infected by a some sort of disease that will eliminate the LOSTies somewhere in the future. Again, there are more specifics, but I have to go eat some dinner. PM me or ask some more specific things later and I'll respond.

StinkWater 03-24-2006 05:21 PM

why don't any of the people on the island have children that are not on the island?

Don_Lapre 03-24-2006 05:57 PM

I love the show as well and I'll ask several questions if you don't mind.

They're all dead right? I think they sealed the deal with that by having Lock walk after been paralized and the man Jack was jogging with inside the stadium saying, "See you in the next life." during a flashback scene. Or perhaps are the writers now changing the stroy around to suit another ending because they did not believe the public would catch on so quickly?

Although the show is still interesting it has reached a certain point in terms of momentum IMO, do you think the show will continue to "linger around ideas" for a long period of time and then resolve everything in the final few episodes, perhaps years down the line?

Which important character will die next?

Thanks!!

lennytheduck 03-24-2006 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why don't any of the people on the island have children that are not on the island?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great question that I hadn't really thought about. Condoms?

Magra 03-24-2006 07:13 PM

HUGE SPOILER!!! DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED IN THIS HUGE SPOILER!!!!!

<font color="white">Writers allready came out and stated that Ana Lucia has been written out of the script. They keep adding her, until the neccesary time to kill her off. This might be a part to the season finale. </font>

davelin 03-24-2006 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great question that I hadn't really thought about. Condoms?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

lennytheduck 03-24-2006 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love the show as well and I'll ask several questions if you don't mind.

They're all dead right? I think they sealed the deal with that by having Lock walk after been paralized and the man Jack was jogging with inside the stadium saying, "See you in the next life." during a flashback scene. Or perhaps are the writers now changing the stroy around to suit another ending because they did not believe the public would catch on so quickly?

Although the show is still interesting it has reached a certain point in terms of momentum IMO, do you think the show will continue to "linger around ideas" for a long period of time and then resolve everything in the final few episodes, perhaps years down the line?

Which important character will die next?

Thanks!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that they are in some sort of purgatory. But then there are things have come up recently that seems to refute this idea. The Oceanic Airlines mobile in the place where Claire is taken in order to have her baby really threw me for a loop. It brings in the possibility that the LOSTies were brought there intentionally/for a reason.

Still, I think some of the dialogue makes it pretty easy to perceive that they are dead. In addition to the line you mentioned, Jack gave a pretty profound one during the first season in one of the first episodes. He is talking to Kate on the beach and says something along the lines of "We all died a few days ago. We're all starting over." It's like everyone who had a good heart but made bad decisions in their lives have a chance to redeem themselves on the island.

It's hard to say when things are really going to be resolved because I don't know how long the show is going to go on. I've heard (read) people say something like 7 years, but that would be pretty difficult, especially with some of the actors and actresses growing in scope and the location where the show is shot. I would expect to get some real answers before season 2 comes to a close.

I think Ana Lucia will die next.

AceofSpades 03-24-2006 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do all the characters have connections with each other in life before the island?

$_DEADSEXE_$ 03-24-2006 08:15 PM

They are not dead and they are not in purgatory.
J.J Abrahms, DL have both stated that while they think this is a really cool idea and one they threw around...it is in fact not true. There is nothing supernatural or other worldly about the island..everything can be explained through science as they put it.
They already know what the island is, its back story, who the others are , how the plane crashed and why.

End of Season 2 I'm pretty sure will involve how and why the plane crashed...and the return of Desmond/Walt and what happens when the button isnt pushed.

They key clue to what is going on in the island is "time"...the majority of the books Sawyer read deal with time. In the old episode with Sayid being captured..originally when sayid asks rousea what her and the other scientists were studying she responded "time". Damon Lindof made David Fury remove that reference. The whispers in season 1 when slowed down and listened two are a conversation between two men and 1 women who are observing Sayid and they are arguing about whether he can see/percieve them.

Biggest secret that I think may be true

Locke's father is the same man who Sawyer has been searching for.
The Long Con that he put on his son Locke kind of supports this, Locke's dialogue about the origins of Sawyer's nickname...plus there has been mention that Sawyer and Locke share a huge secret/connection that neither is currently aware of.

sman 03-24-2006 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

They key clue to what is going on in the island is "time"...the majority of the books Sawyer read deal with time. In the old episode with Sayid being captured..originally when sayid asks rousea what her and the other scientists were studying she responded "time". Damon Lindof made David Fury remove that reference. The whispers in season 1 when slowed down and listened two are a conversation between two men and 1 women who are observing Sayid and they are arguing about whether he can see/percieve them.

[/ QUOTE ]
So do you think it has something to do with the fourth dimension, which is supposed to be time?

$_DEADSEXE_$ 03-24-2006 08:58 PM

I think the island may have created some kind of rip or tear in time...or its surrounded within a bubble ala bermuda triangle.--that may be what the clock has to do with, may not.

NeedsMoreNuts 03-24-2006 09:09 PM

The writers have said that the story is pretty much possible technologically, with a few minor upgrades to already-invented technologies.

evil twin 03-24-2006 09:17 PM

How is Henry Gale going to fit into things? Is he an Other?

$_DEADSEXE_$ 03-24-2006 09:26 PM

I'd assume so since his name is Henry Gale..from the wizard of Oz..and he supposedly arrived in a hot air balloon--wizard of oz again.

wonderwes 03-24-2006 09:28 PM

How did Mr Ecko's drug plane make it half way across the world to the south pacific?