Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Overplay flop, awkward turn (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=499307)

sharpie 09-12-2007 06:05 AM

Overplay flop, awkward turn

I think I should've called the flop 3 bet, if so what are we doing on a good turn card?

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero???

Oink 09-12-2007 06:20 AM

Re: Overplay flop, awkward turn

You are gonna get raised a lot and have to call getting 10:1. AK, KQ, KJ, KT and K9 is a lot of combos and he is raising those close to 100%.

Besides if you check he might check behind QQ, JJ, TT and 99.

I c/c but I suck these days. I bloat pots and fold on the river with top set so wtf do I know

BTW I dont cap the flop and I dont think i c/r a safe turn either. AK and K9 is a lot of combos yo.

MacGuyV 09-12-2007 06:56 AM

Tough spot but I loathe calling the flop 3bet &amp; checking a blank turn. I know we love to say nobody takes free cards, but really that's what he's doing a considerable % of the time. So I like the flop cap even though there are lots of turn cards you don't care to see. Obv. this is one of them. I don't know what the +ev move is from there, so I take the easy way out &amp; c/c down. OOP sucks as always.

Oink 09-12-2007 07:10 AM

If he is taking a free card often why not call the flop 3-bet and donk the turn?

vmacosta 09-12-2007 04:28 PM

I think capping the flop was fine. Afterall, you didn't know the turn card was gonna come up so crappy. I think you need to c/c the turn. If you just called his flop 3-bet then I'd still c/c the turn.

Absolution 09-12-2007 04:57 PM

I don't think you're more than 50/50 on the flop in terms of equity when I play around with Pokerstove so I don't think you should cap the flop. Now that you're significantly behind his range on the turn I think you should play it passively from here. By just check calling you encourage him to continue to bet hands like JT and AQ because you're saying you don't have the straight.

Romulet 09-12-2007 08:58 PM

Heads up I like this situation blind v blind. You're ahead of a lot of hands here so make him pay. I also lead the turn. There is a chance he is still drawing and I would rather call his turn raise and pay off on the river than allow him to draw again for free. I play against so many players that go mad with the draw that I can't help but lead the turn here.

If he has better than 2 pr good luck to him.

yourface 09-12-2007 09:09 PM

I'd have capped the flop too but stove says it is bad
stove also says just c/c down a safe turn

stokken 09-13-2007 10:25 AM

Even though its hu. Isnt protecting our hand on such a draw heavy board better on turn in general, and if the bad cards do arrive then you can decide upon the proper conservative approach? Am I wrong in my opinion when I feel there is no need to go ballistic although Hu on these boards. Your edge is most often small if there is action on flopp no? And a good turn card for you gives a greater edge when ahead?

Stokken

Wolfram 09-13-2007 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd have capped the flop too but stove says it is bad
stove also says just c/c down a safe turn

[/ QUOTE ]
&lt;3 the stove analysis. This is def. a spot that I would overplay, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that we should play this passively.