Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Post deleted by Mat Sklansky (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=222300)

WhoIam 06-14-2007 06:26 AM

Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

[ QUOTE ]
WhoIAm on his Bday getting cake smeared on his face by the "schoolgirls" of Sharky's Bar

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't remember this, but I do remember (and appreciate) getting the cake.

KKF was telling me over some Changs that Sklansky actually visited the clubhouse a few months ago but he didn't really talk to anyone, he was more interested in the two dark Isan girls he was with.

ofdabeat 06-14-2007 07:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

KKF was telling me over some Changs that Sklansky actually visited the clubhouse a few months ago but he didn't really talk to anyone, he was more interested in the two dark Isan girls he was with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was pretty sure he wasn't into light skinned polite pink-nippled chiang mai girls.

By the way i just discovered that the school where I teach/grind a bankroll have a female ( 16-18 years old and more ) volleyball team.

what to do OOT ? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

ofdabeat 06-14-2007 07:45 AM

by the way

[ QUOTE ]

Tank in BangkokBangkok calm despite rumours of coup

From The Nation

All remained quiet at the Army headquarters close to midnight on Wednesday, and the Council for National Security tried to quash intense rumours sweeping the capital that either another coup was imminent or a drastic plan was underway to deal with proThaksin protesters.

Reporters swarming the Army headquarters started withdrawing around midnight. Army sources denied the coup rumours which peaked late in the evening.

The rumours were apparently propelled by related events earlier in the day. Late in the afternoon, rumours had it that the military council was planning to declare a curfew to force an end to street protests by proThaksin mobs.

After a meeting between CNS chairman Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin and top security officials, CNS spokesman Col Sansern Kaewkamnerd came out to deny that the junta was planning to enforce a curfew.

More rumours then emerged that the proThaksin protesters were planning to move their rally to the Army headquarters to challenge the CNS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great let's get rid of the military and back to good old corruption.

edfurlong 06-14-2007 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

LOLZ About a week ago, I went up to Hat Kamala to see what the nightlife was like (considering getting a house nearby). There were about 15 bars in operation with about a 5 bargirl/waitress to 2 customer ratio except for a "BeerGarden." Inside the "BeerGarden" were a lovely bunch of sweaty 50 someting, paunchy, Germanz drooling over 20 something Thai Girls. Been here over 3 months now and it's still hard to get used to that sight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's pretty gross. Whatever, I'm gonna go get drunk and bang a hooker.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 06-14-2007 08:33 AM

how did you get a dell in thailand?

xxThe_Lebowskixx 06-14-2007 08:40 AM

i want to buy a unit in that new condominium on the chao praya river... too bad i am running horrible this year.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 06-14-2007 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

LOLZ About a week ago, I went up to Hat Kamala to see what the nightlife was like (considering getting a house nearby). There were about 15 bars in operation with about a 5 bargirl/waitress to 2 customer ratio except for a "BeerGarden." Inside the "BeerGarden" were a lovely bunch of sweaty 50 someting, paunchy, Germanz drooling over 20 something Thai Girls. Been here over 3 months now and it's still hard to get used to that sight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's pretty gross. Whatever, I'm gonna go get drunk and bang a hooker.

[/ QUOTE ]

make sure none of them just got done with her.

WhoIam 06-15-2007 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way i just discovered that the school where I teach/grind a bankroll have a female ( 16-18 years old and more ) volleyball team.

[/ QUOTE ]
Damn, if only they were legal. Oh wait, the age of consent is 15. Just don't pay them.

I'm picking my sister up at the airport tonight. I'm going to keep calling her so she has to look at her phone and say "Shhhhh, it's my brother" before answering. If you don't get it, I'm not going to explain it.

Forgot to mention that I took a bus from Laos to Bangkok and several times it was boarded by military and/or police who demanded to see our passports. Standard? It might have something to do with the military wanting to keep pro-Thaksin people out of bkk. I read in the Bangkok Post yesterday that the junta "can't guarantee the safety of Thaksin if he returns." I think we can all read between the lines here.

KKF, I packed the monitor in one of my suitcases.

edfurlong 06-15-2007 07:10 AM

I love all the lighting! I took like a hundred and fifty pictures, this is the only one that came out. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/9...fdas001og5.jpg

Air asia has flights from bkk to chiang mai for under $40. Am I going to die?

K䲰䮥n 06-18-2007 02:12 AM

Just got home from my first trip to Thailand [BKK, Koh Samui, Koh Tao) and what an awesome trip that that was! I was there with my fiancé. Thanks all for the tips.

Positive
<ul type="square">[*]Koh Tao (ended up spending 90% of our vacation on this island)[*]Scuba diving (holy [censored] I'm addicted, the best thing ever)[*]Fishing (barracudas (that restaurants coocked for free to us since we brought the ingredients) and other unknown fish)[*]Coconuts (tasty!)[*]Thai people (the ones not trying to sell you stuff)[*]Food (very good, very cheap)[*]Fake t-shirts (that I washed and shrunked)[*]Waterfalls[*]Bangkok[/list]
Negative
<ul type="square">[*]Chaweng, Samui (what a tourist trap!)[*]People trying to sell you stuff (annoying)[*]Anything with no A/C [*]Fist fighting tourists (brits. entertaining though... so might be positive)[/list]

WhoIam 06-18-2007 06:22 AM

Is there a section of Bangkok with a lot of middle eastern or Indian people? I need to buy some self-lighting charcoals for my hookah and this seems like the logical place to do it.

I'm feeling kind of ambivalent about Bangkok. I'll reevaluate the city when I:
1. Have more money
2. Actually can access to the money I have.
I'm starting to realize that I really need to work on my Thai if I want to live here. In Patong and Vientiane I was fine using English and maybe 30 Thai words/phrases that I could mix in. I mean, I know how say "no sadism" but I need to know how to say "turn left" or "wtf is this food you're selling."

I really liked Vientiane and I'm considering going back there to stay for at least a few months. I've done some research and quality internet access is available but it doesn't come cheaply. It could be around the same price as my rent depending on where I live and how fast and reliable I want my connection to be. Lol, the best plan is a dedicated 512k wireless connection for US $5k/month.

When I was picking my sister up at the airport, the thought occurred to me that if you were really broke, you could just live there for free and support yourself by playing poker on the free wifi. Your only expense would be food but sleeping well would obviously be a problem. Prop bet anyone?

ofdabeat 06-18-2007 06:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a section of Bangkok with a lot of middle eastern or Indian people? I need to buy some self-lighting charcoals for my hookah and this seems like the logical place to do it.

1. Have more money
I'm starting to realize that I really need to work on my Thai if I want to live here. In Patong and Vientiane I was fine using English and maybe 30 Thai words/phrases that I could mix in. I mean, I know how say "no sadism" but I need to know how to say "turn left" or "wtf is this food you're selling."

I really liked Vientiane and I'm considering going back there to stay for at least a few months. I've done some research and quality internet access is available but it doesn't come cheaply. It could be around the same price as my rent depending on where I live and how fast and reliable I want my connection to be. Lol, the best plan is a dedicated 512k wireless connection for US $5k/month.

When I was picking my sister up at the airport, the thought occurred to me that if you were really broke, you could just live there for free and support yourself by playing poker on the free wifi. Your only expense would be food but sleeping well would obviously be a problem. Prop bet anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lao girls can really mess with your head i guess [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Soi 3 suk there are loads of indian/middle eastern places it's bts nana.

WhoIam 06-18-2007 06:53 AM

Here's an MS Paint of my current thoughts:
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/9990/laoental6.jpg
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/2864/mebkknd2.jpg

ofdabeat 06-18-2007 07:30 AM

Just go where you are happy man.
Bangkok is nice in fact you just have to make a few more bucks to discover it.
Why not trying a month or two in issan ( udon thani or another city ) it's very nice. And you will learn to eat spicy there guaranteed.

NewTeaBag 06-19-2007 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not trying a month or two in issan ( udon thani or another city ) it's very nice. And you will learn to eat spicy there guaranteed.

[/ QUOTE ]

WhoIam and I had tentatively planned a trip up to Issan (khan Kaen being my gf's home city) for the rocket festival in may but those plans laid dormant (as many a tentative plan will in Thailand as it's so easy to just "sabai sabai" it day by day.)

GTL 06-19-2007 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1. Have more money

[/ QUOTE ]

i really suggest the non-self lighting coals for a hookah. obviously, if you don't have access to a gas burner or other way to start the coals you have to get the self lighting. make sure you let it burn hot for a little while before using it. you don't want to inhale the self lighting chemicals.

WhoIam 06-19-2007 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WhoIam and I had tentatively planned a trip up to Issan (khan Kaen being my gf's home city) for the rocket festival in may but those plans laid dormant (as many a tentative plan will in Thailand as it's so easy to just "sabai sabai" it day by day.)

[/ QUOTE ]
I gave up on the idea once I realized my visa expired on that Friday. Planning the logistics of a visa run/mini vacation was way too much for my Phuket level of laziness.

I'll be sure to check out Isan sometime. One of the Lao girls actually offered to take me on a holiday (as in pay for me) to Udon Thani if I didn't go to Bangkok. Maybe I should have accepted.

I think I'm just not into Bangkok for the same reason I don't really like NYC: it's just too big, too crowded, too everything. I prefer smaller cities like Boston or San Francisco. Again, this perception of BKK probably has a lot to do with the fact that my financial situation will continue to suck for another week or two.

NewTeaBag 06-19-2007 10:14 AM

Have you considered the "WhoIam Bigelow-Bangkok Gigilo" option?

Perhaps you need to score a ruay, bored, 40ish Thai sugermama... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

ofdabeat 06-20-2007 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you considered the "WhoIam Bigelow-Bangkok Gigilo" option?

Perhaps you need to score a ruay, bored, 40ish Thai sugermama... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny cause we actually talked about becoming gigolos yesterday night with whoiam but ssshhhh...

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

WhoIam 06-20-2007 06:53 AM

This would probably work because older Asian women love me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] By this I mean older than me (27-33) but I imagine the middle-aged ones would as well. We actually were talking about this the other night. "Bangkok Gigolo" would be a great undertitle.

DMACM 06-20-2007 03:32 PM

Hey all,
This was a fascinating thread. Really makes you want to visit Thiland. My law school has a bridge course with a two-week residence in Chiangmai, Thailand. I'm really considering going after reading this. I just hope two weeks with classes would leave me time to meet some local people and see some sites. Hope this hasn't been covered but how is Chiangmi?

KJS 06-20-2007 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey all,
This was a fascinating thread. Really makes you want to visit Thiland. My law school has a bridge course with a two-week residence in Chiangmai, Thailand. I'm really considering going after reading this. I just hope two weeks with classes would leave me time to meet some local people and see some sites. Hope this hasn't been covered but how is Chiangmi?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lived there for 18 months in 2002-2004. I really liked it. It is not huge like BKK; maybe 200K in the area. Very manageable size, easy to get around. Plenty of ex-pats there and a clearly defined tourist zone where you can easily get by without any Thai language. The best parts are outside of that though.

PM or add specific questions you might have. I can recommend a guesthouse if you do go.

KJS

Schmitty 87 06-20-2007 09:12 PM

KJS:

I'm hopefully going to Chiang Mai tonight. In Bangkok right now. What guest house? Also, for people who have been there more recently, who is giving the best jungle treks nowadays? Also where is the train station in Chiang Mai?

Basic Thai question also: In my book it says that "a" is pronounced like the "u" in "run." So that means that farang is pronounced furung ya? wat=wut(like what)? I need the basic pointers because I'd feel really embarassed if I mispronounced hello or thank you or something like that.

KJS 06-20-2007 09:19 PM

Go Here

You are not correct about those pronunciations. Ask a Thai how to say those words and it will help.

KJS

WhoIam 06-21-2007 03:34 AM

There's no standard system for converting Thai into the western alphabet. As a result, you'll see the same thing spelled in different ways, even something as common as Khao San Rd. I have a similar book and as KJS pointed out, you really need to hear a Thai person say the phrase. Even if you get the sounds right, you won't be understood because the tones and general flow of the words would be wrong. http://www.learningthai.com/ will show you how to pronounce all the basic stuff.

Does anyone have any ideas about what to do with all these 1 baht coins I keep accumulating? I'd like to give them to a soup kitchen or something provided they have a collection box. I feel like walking in somewhere and handing them a bag of coins would be a dick move.

NewTeaBag 06-21-2007 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have any ideas about what to do with all these 1 baht coins I keep accumulating? I'd like to give them to a soup kitchen or something provided they have a collection box. I feel like walking in somewhere and handing them a bag of coins would be a dick move.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLZ There happens to be a completely [censored] cashier working at CarreFour (was really rude to me several times for no apparent reason on different trips).

Soz, when Puk and I went to get a new bed set for our new House (around 1500THB), I specifically waited in line for this cashier and paid out like 700+ of it coins and the rest in 20 baht notes. It was quite hilarious watching him count and recount and recount. It seemed he's not well liked by his colleagues either cus they were pissing themselves laughing whilst he counted. So rather than come off as yet another [censored] farang move it was great entertainment for the rest of the employees.

PS I was considerate enough to warn all the those who tried get in line behind me that they should pick a different cashier. Only one got pissed off (and he was a standard issue, 50ish, fat, I am ruler of Thailand, German). The Thais in line actually stayed in line to witness the event.

PPS WhoIam can attest that I am insanely laid back/calm/respectful when dealing with Thais of all walks of life so for me to do this this guy was clearly a CNUT.

ofdabeat 06-21-2007 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's no standard system for converting Thai into the western alphabet. As a result, you'll see the same thing spelled in different ways, even something as common as Khao San Rd. I have a similar book and as KJS pointed out, you really need to hear a Thai person say the phrase. Even if you get the sounds right, you won't be understood because the tones and general flow of the words would be wrong. http://www.learningthai.com/ will show you how to pronounce all the basic stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have enough you can make a cool looking medieval armor.

Schmitty 87 06-21-2007 07:28 AM

Well I for sure just got ripped off for a taxi and now I'm paying 20 baht for 5 minutes of internet access just to tell 2+2 about it. I was going from Khaosan Rd to Hualamphong Station. I heard it was a 30 min drive (like airport to Khaoson), so when the guy quoted me 300 baht and he was in a metered taxi I figured whatever I'll not make the trouble 30 min ride would be close to 300 baht. So I'm riding and all is good and then he stops. I'm like wtf but alas it's hualampong. Probably got fleeced for $8US or so. time running out bye

CanIPlayII 06-23-2007 10:22 AM

Banking Question: Do the ATM cards the banks issue, work in the United States? Can you send Western Union or MoneyGram back to US?

farang0 06-23-2007 12:07 PM

KSR to Hualampong has never cost me more then 40 baht. Maybe 50 baht if there is a little traffic.

Obviously if he is quoting you a price instead of using the meter then he is ALWAYS ripping you off.

Also, someone mentioned that they needed hookah coal, Suk. soi 3 and 5 are where all the indians hang out and they sell that crap in the back of the sois.

NewTeaBag 06-23-2007 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Banking Question: Do the ATM cards the banks issue, work in the United States? Can you send Western Union or MoneyGram back to US?

[/ QUOTE ]

ALmost every ATM machine I've seen in Thailand has the like 15 different logos of types of cards that work so I'd tentatively say, Yes. My gf's ATM card (issued from Bangkok Bank has the PLus/Cirrus/etc stuff on it)

I have also seen several Western Union Outlets over here (not sure bout moneygram).

WhoIam 06-23-2007 03:49 PM

I sent money to Stars via Western Union but the rake was ridiculous. Not worth it unless there's an emergency.

NewTeaBag 07-03-2007 05:17 AM

Update plz boyz!

Are WhoIam and OfdaBeat official Male Prositute Pimps in BKK yet?

Has ofDaBeat shagged the volleyball team yet?

WhoIam 07-03-2007 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Update plz boyz!

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pulling out of my personal Asian financial crisis and am going back to Laos on the 11th. No prostitution, but I did briefly consider teaching English before my luck turned around. Do you still have those firecrackers? This would be a good day to use them. Because today...is the day...we celebrate...our independence!

NewTeaBag 07-04-2007 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Update plz boyz!

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pulling out of my personal Asian financial crisis and am going back to Laos on the 11th. No prostitution, but I did briefly consider teaching English before my luck turned around. Do you still have those firecrackers? This would be a good day to use them. Because today...is the day...we celebrate...our independence!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLZ We used the firecrackers at the temple (ZOMG intended use!)

Enjoy Laos.

I have entered my own Asian Financial Crisis. Someones nicked my ATM card and dropped over $1K fraudulent charges on it. SOz no access to me monies whilst sorting it out now. ARRRRRRRGH!

iwantbooze 07-08-2007 10:39 AM

bit of a bump

currently in BKK for 2 months, was wondering a good place to buy high quality fake watches?

I have a friend who got a great one from china, and I had a look around silom and mbk but the watches don't look *really* good.

Any suggestions? :-)

WhoIam 07-08-2007 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bit of a bump

currently in BKK for 2 months, was wondering a good place to buy high quality fake watches?

I have a friend who got a great one from china, and I had a look around silom and mbk but the watches don't look *really* good.

Any suggestions? :-)

[/ QUOTE ]
That's funny, ofdabeat and I were just talking about this today. He knows of some places in China but nothing here. I assume you mean watches in the several hundred dollar range, right?

NewTeaBag 07-08-2007 03:08 PM

Shameless addition/promotion of friends place in Patong.

Patong Hotel

If anyone is visiting Patong, this place is close to the beach and nightlife and I can get you a decent disoucnt on their advertised rates.

(Owner is woman who spent a week with my gf at the temple and pretty nice/straightforward)

iwantbooze 07-09-2007 05:24 AM

whoiam: yeah, most of the ones i've seen are in the 2,000B range and are ok. As I see it though, a fake watch that only looks ok is a waste of time :-/

PilotMatt 07-13-2007 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is Bangkok abbreviated BKK instead of BK? Or am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its their airport code (just like lga or jfk)