Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   New to 50NL - Getting pushed around (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=154327)

jafos 07-05-2006 03:38 AM

New to 50NL - Getting pushed around

This happens to me a lot since I've recently taken a shot at moving up. I get reraised all the freaggin time. When I get reraised I immediately think set or overpair...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($49.30)
Hero ($52.75)
SB ($18.50)
BB ($23.15)
UTG ($49.75)
MP1 ($40.50)
MP2 ($54.40)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls $2.50, MP2 calls $2.50.

Flop: ($9.75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $16</font>, MP2 folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $31.75

vabogee 07-05-2006 03:42 AM

Re: New to 50NL - Getting pushed around

bet a little more on the flop to show more strength, which will make a bluff c/r less of a possibility. do we have reads on villain? if no reads, i fold here. average $50NLer is not bluffing here, he has 2-pr or better a lot of the time. and he's for sure betting the turn hard.

bent96 07-05-2006 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bet a little more on the flop to show more strength, which will make a bluff c/r less of a possibility. do we have reads on villain? if no reads, i fold here. average $50NLer is not bluffing here, he has 2-pr or better a lot of the time. and he's for sure betting the turn hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. This is still a very tough fold w/o any reads.

Andy Bear 07-05-2006 04:22 AM

dare i say that making this fold actually makes you a better player than most. It's good that you can make this fold, a lot of idiots lose their stacks here.

caveat: I will obviously push vs maniacs

ChipStorm 07-05-2006 09:01 AM

What you are seeing is probably very largely variance. The 50s are only more difficult than the 25s by a small increment.

Pot the flop. This board is wet. OESDs and flush draws are all there; set a high price to draw.

Fold to the raise. UTG didn't just raise you, he checkraised you with two players left to act. Make a note on him. He may just be getting tricky, but you can still fold top pair to a raise at this level and leave very, very little on the table over the long run.

tkkjsoup 07-05-2006 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold to the raise. UTG didn't just raise you, he checkraised you with two players left to act. Make a note on him. He may just be getting tricky, but you can still fold top pair to a raise at this level and leave very, very little on the table over the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

relayerdave 07-05-2006 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad to hear this...my foray into NL50, after beating up 25NL, has been very unpleasant. In fact, I've had to go back down to build up my BR a bit...

jafos 07-05-2006 08:36 PM

I was doing quite well until I lost two big pots to 2 outers and misplayed a few hands [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I had a blast though and I can't wait to try again.

ghostface 07-05-2006 10:51 PM

pot the flop, fold if reraised pot.

If not raised that much call and evaluate turn. I think you will find it much easier to gauge the strength of your hand if you find a good betting pattern in these situations.

Megenoita 07-06-2006 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dare i say that making this fold actually makes you a better player than most. It's good that you can make this fold, a lot of idiots lose their stacks here.

caveat: I will obviously push vs maniacs

[/ QUOTE ]