Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   A History of Violence (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=284939)

andyfox 12-16-2006 05:27 PM

A History of Violence

Missed this in the theaters when it was out, saw it on TV last night for the first time. If memory serves, it got good reviews both in the press and on 2+2.

But I found it inane. The plot was ludicrous. Five people are brutally murdered in two separate incidents and the police chief says let me know if there's anything I can do for you? Nobody checks to see if Joey what-his-name is a real person? Ed Harris was cartoonish, as was William Hurt in a silly ending that seemed to belong to another movie. I suppose the director was trying to say something about character, about the strong dominating the weak, about how violence is always present just under the surface, etc. But let's face it, Cronenberg is just a wierdo disuised as an artist. I give Crash and Dead Ringers as exhibits A and B.

But I'm willing to listen to those who lied it. I'd like to hear from you and then I'll watch it again. Thanks.

Rick Nebiolo 12-16-2006 05:41 PM

Re: A History of Violence

Except for the over the top ending I enjoyed it. But I wasn't expecting it to say much about character or anything else. I think it helped that I didn't know much about it before I watched.

~ Rick

Borodog 12-16-2006 06:12 PM

You expected too much. I enjoyed it.

Rick Nebiolo 12-16-2006 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You expected too much. I enjoyed it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I think high expectations can really hurt one's chances to enjoy something. That doesn't mean high expectations are bad; just that they come with a cost.

~ Rick

Blarg 12-16-2006 07:13 PM

I think, kinda like Pulp Fiction in its way, it was about the possibility of redemption. Secondarily it was about the necessity that humility play a part in redemption and that bad faith does not. And violence was only symbolic of sin in general.

Dominic 12-16-2006 08:38 PM

Dead Ringers is a masterpiece, as is Videodrome.

Spider, The Brood and The Fly are very good movies, as are some others he's made.

A History of Violence was interesting to me, but not great.

KOTLP 12-16-2006 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how I felt. It was good, but not great. My favorite Cronenberg film of recent years is actually eXistenZ, though many don't like it.

The Fly > Dead Ringers [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Blarg 12-16-2006 09:03 PM

The Fly was awesome, far better than a movie of that sort has any right to be. I liked Dead Ringers for the acting, but felt it fell short in a few ways. A History of Violence was okay, but fairly simple and asks us to swallow a lot of unlikely stuff to get through the story. Cronenberg definitely can do that sometimes. He doesn't always keep a clear, believable line. (believable within the fiction of the movie)

Dominic 12-16-2006 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how I felt. It was good, but not great. My favorite Cronenberg film of recent years is actually eXistenZ, though many don't like it.

The Fly > Dead Ringers [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I LOVE eXistenZ...it's like an updated Videodrome...

orange 12-16-2006 10:40 PM

HoV was a different movie. I enjoyed it, but by no means was it a great movie. I didn't expect too much, but I liked it.