Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Bernie is in 'The Well' (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=487483)

bernie 08-27-2007 01:43 PM

Bernie is in \'The Well\'

Sounded fun. The last few were pretty cool.

[ QUOTE ]
A stranger is being shown around a village that he has just become part of. He is shown a well and his guide says "On any day, until the mod closes it, you can shout any question down that well and you'll be told the answer" .

You may ask me any question about whatever you like. I will answer to the best of my abilities if I choose to answer your question.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jm...ll_enh_500.jpg

jesse8888 08-27-2007 01:45 PM

Re: Bernie is in \'The Well\'

When you were first getting started, did you have a specific process you went through after each session where you tried to identify and solidify anything you had learned? If so, what was it?

Hyperrrprank 08-27-2007 02:33 PM

Here's one:

I'm told by many people that short-handed tables are very profitable. I've seen some of this myself, but I've also lost significantly in these situations.

What are the adjustments one needs to make to best capitalize on short-handed tables? Preflop adjustments, steals, and defending blinds especially, but also when to continue to showdown, etc.

mrcunningham 08-27-2007 02:46 PM

I was going to post this myself, but thought you'd provide a good answer. At one of the places that I play it is common that the 1-1-2 and 2-3-5 big-spread limit (essentially no-limit) players will play 3-6 and 6-12 limit while waiting for a spread limit table to open up.

How can us primarily limit players take advantage of the no-limit tendencies/perspectives of these players when they are playing at our tables?

KitCloudkicker 08-27-2007 04:10 PM

b, i noticed you are member #28. that is like the oldest member i've ever seen. who else was posting at that time? who were members 1-27? do any of these people still exist on twoplustwo?

ProfessorBen 08-27-2007 04:27 PM

What games do you play live/online now? What were the highest you had played?

Who is the worst poster in the history of 2+2 at either MS/HSLHE?

What is the 1 thing I should know about taking shots at bigger live games(30/60+)?

Name 1 player you would stake 10% of your bankroll for under any conditions if you had just found out he/she went broke.

Who is the most underrated 2p2 poster in all of LHE history? Why?

Favorite BBV4L/BBV/OOT/NVG topic?

Thanks in advance.

bernie 08-27-2007 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you were first getting started, did you have a specific process you went through after each session where you tried to identify and solidify anything you had learned? If so, what was it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was overly meticulous. Play-wise, I think it was just usually something that would bug me about the session.

But I could usually isolate a street where the problem was. Then I'd go to a book and look in the section about that street and study the hell out of it. Which is one of the nice things about having books put together by street.

But in taking stabs in some tougher games, I got to see some concepts really take shape that weren't really used in lower limits I was playing at the time.

I think one big change was being on tables where you could actually run a bluff and represent something. Of course, that just gives you extra stuff to use your brain on which is why non-bluffing tables, play-wise, are much easier.

But one process I did relentlessly was preflop. I had Turbo TH and would just drill myself on it over and over. I liken it to building building a hand and that building starts with the foundation of preflop. Once I got good with certain types of hands, I'd expand my foundation a little more.

That said, I still play tighter than most.

b

bernie 08-27-2007 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's one:

I'm told by many people that short-handed tables are very profitable. I've seen some of this myself, but I've also lost significantly in these situations.

What are the adjustments one needs to make to best capitalize on short-handed tables? Preflop adjustments, steals, and defending blinds especially, but also when to continue to showdown, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play alot of S/H, though I have dabbed into and studied it a little. So this won't be too extensive.

You have to be ready to play more hands in more marginal situations. Especially in the blinds.

Alot still depends on your opponents. For instance, live, many opponents suck at S/H so you can run them over a little more. They're just not used to adjusting aggression-wise from fullgame to short.

Online they'll call you down with bottom pair HU relentlessly. Not to mention play back at you much more. Live their range is usually alot narrower than online players. I think many ignore that and just treat both the same. So I guess paying attention to your opponents is a big one. Though I've also seen that in small stakes forum in fuller games. But the fewer players at the beginning of the hand the more you benefit from knowing their tendencies that much more.

Your variance is going to be higher on short tables which you have to be ready for. But you really have to be ready to roll up your sleeves and slug it out at times.

For more in depth stuff Stox has a great book for it(though you still have to remember you may not be playing against the same caliber of players he's referring to) Fromm has a great DVD on it. Not sure about the Short handed forum now, but I heard it used to be gold back when short handed was really starting to take hold.

b

bernie 08-27-2007 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was going to post this myself, but thought you'd provide a good answer. At one of the places that I play it is common that the 1-1-2 and 2-3-5 big-spread limit (essentially no-limit) players will play 3-6 and 6-12 limit while waiting for a spread limit table to open up.

How can us primarily limit players take advantage of the no-limit tendencies/perspectives of these players when they are playing at our tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll usually play too many hands up front and go too far with them. Their views(whether concious or unconcious) on implied odds tend to be skewed a little. Of course, there are those that play both n/l and limit about the same bad way and don't really see much difference in it. Some don't differentiate.

Many won't really know how to protect their hands in limit. Which you'll hear them complain endlessly about. When they do complain like that, it's a good sign.

On a smaller note, some tend to play with more emotion in their play. So they'll bet 'harder' trying to make you fold to make up for not being able to put a bigger bet in to buy you out of the pot.

I think in one of Mason's Essay books he has some good stuff on the differences between the players you'd see in those games and places to look for in their play.

b

bernie 08-27-2007 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
b, i noticed you are member #28. that is like the oldest member i've ever seen. who else was posting at that time? who were members 1-27? do any of these people still exist on twoplustwo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apologize ahead of time for forgetting anyone.

I'm sure Mason and Oz are 1 & 2. Clarkmeister and Dynasty. Joe Tall. Ed M. Landale. Angelo. Andy Fox. Slavic. Mike Haven. Dude and Guy on Tilt. El D. Granny Mae? Lorinda. Schoonmaker. KJS. Dave Ottesen. Etc...Etc...

Many aren't on the strat forums as much but still exist on different forums.

Quite a few of us were on here before postcounts. We probably have a few thousand posts pre-postcount. Back in the golden age of SS forum. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Which was also pre-OOT.

b