Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Fanboy policy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=511574)

JaredL 09-28-2007 09:12 PM

Fanboy policy

I think something this forum suffers from is negative fanboyism. By this I'm referring to making a lot of posts that do nothing but bash some system or another.

I personally think this should no longer be allowed, but I would like to hear from others.

There is obviously a fine line here, but the idea is posts talking up your favorite game/console would be fine as would making arguments for why your favorite is better than a competitor and so forth. What would not be ok would be just a bunch of "XBox/PS3/Wii sucks!" type stuff that doesn't add anything.

Thoughts?

Five-Star 09-28-2007 09:34 PM

Re: Fanboy policy

I think it's a fine idea.

vin17 09-28-2007 09:35 PM

For most people, the purchase of the latest video game technology ends up representing a significant financial and somewhat emotional investment for them. In a lot of cases, their views will become somewhat if not entirely biased towards whichever console they own (which is natural).

No console is perfect. No game will be the last one you ever play. As such, it is important to keep an open mind when discussing the differences between one platform or game and the next.

Unfortunately, the group of people who make unfounded statements on issues with a completing platform/game are the loudest/most obvious.

toss 09-28-2007 09:39 PM

Yes. Arguments are fine but simple one-line statements aren't.

I'm scared that this forum will devolve into something you see at Gamefaqs or Joystiq. For example:

Poster #1: I don't really like the games on the system.

Poster #2: LOL UR AN IDIOT WHERE DO YOU LIVE SO I CAN KILL U

Shadowrun 09-28-2007 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For most people, the purchase of the latest video game technology ends up representing a significant financial and somewhat emotional investment for them. In a lot of cases, their views will become somewhat if not entirely biased towards whichever console they own (which is natural).

No console is perfect. No game will be the last one you ever play. As such, it is important to keep an open mind when discussing the differences between one platform or game and the next.

Unfortunately, the group of people who make unfounded statements on issues with a completing platform/game are the loudest/most obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preach the good word brother. I would be a rich man If i could get a dollar for all the people i know that love every single wii game, or how awesome Halo is, and how amazing sony will be once all their games (FF usually) are out.

Dudd 09-28-2007 09:47 PM

As long as you ban daaaaahawkz, it's fine. Someone like Dire at least has a well written, reasonably factual post bashing the PS3/in support of the 360, but his stupid one line 360 SUCKS LOL needs to stop.

jalexand42 09-28-2007 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a fine idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

daaaaahawkz 09-28-2007 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As long as you ban daaaaahawkz, it's fine. Someone like Dire at least has a well written, reasonably factual post bashing the PS3/in support of the 360, but his stupid one line 360 SUCKS LOL needs to stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

dire doesnt even own a ps3 and yet he bashes them whenever he gets a chance...at least i dont make threads about new games and say stuff like halo 3: yet another boring 360 FPS.

i say i dont like the 360 and post reasons why i dont

Dire 09-28-2007 11:30 PM

I'm definitely in favor of this.

It's all about supportive evidence. Posts randomly bashing a console or game don't really serve any utility. Posts doing the same with 'reasonable' supportive evidence do have alot of utility.

But on the same note, 'reasonable' supportive evidence can't be strictly limited to facts / reviews / etc. Everybody has an opinion, and it makes no sense to censor negative opinions. If somebody just played Halo 3, for example, and felt it really didn't deserve the global 9-10 ratings it was getting and they had a 'reasonable' rationale for why, then there'd be no reason there shouldn't be a "Halo 3: A disappointment?" post. It's just that the 'reasonable' part is not easy to measure.

bluef0x 09-28-2007 11:36 PM

If it gets worse, then you should take action.

As of now, I'm against.

sharpie 09-29-2007 02:36 AM

As much as I'm sick of threads being started by Dire solely to bash a system he doesn't own, I dislike censorship more. But not allowing threads to be started bashing another system seems like a good idea, I think these type of threads don't add much value to the forum, and obviously people can still voice their opinions in replies.

Thanir 09-29-2007 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As of now, I'm against.

[/ QUOTE ]

evil twin 09-29-2007 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

As of now, I'm against.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hume 09-29-2007 04:46 AM

People are retarded about some topics, video games being one (sports, politics, martial arts are others). If you look at the best vg-forum online, NeoGaf, they have moderation that makes NT! look weak. Seriously though, the vg-forum here is too low traffic to put much moderation effort into.

Genz 09-29-2007 05:19 AM

LOL PS360 SUCKZ LDO, LOL

do whatever you want. I won't miss a single one of these posts so...

Dire 09-29-2007 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As much as I'm sick of threads being started by Dire solely to bash a system he doesn't own, I dislike censorship more. But not allowing threads to be started bashing another system seems like a good idea, I think these type of threads don't add much value to the forum, and obviously people can still voice their opinions in replies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sharpie: I don't believe the point is censorship. It's to get rid of useless: "OMG 360 ROX. WTF LOL.. PS3 ALL TEH WAYY!!! LOL LOL.. UR BOTH DUMB, WII RULEZ ALL." type comments. If you have something to say, and you can 'reasonably' support it - I'd expect it would/should never be moderated.

Dromar 09-29-2007 06:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL PS360 SUCKZ LDO, LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

what does LDO stand for?

g-bebe 09-29-2007 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LOL PS360 SUCKZ LDO, LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

what does LDO stand for?

[/ QUOTE ]

googletard

Freakin 09-29-2007 01:22 PM

I think repeated unsupported negative claims should get a warning, but more censorship than that takes away the heart of any good video game forum.

Someone doesn't have to own a system to know something about it. Just because you own a certain console doesn't mean you are more knowledgeable about it. I own a 360 but didn't know about red rings of death until it happened to me.

My wife wants a range rover... I don't have to own one to know that the maintenance records SUCK BALLS for them and you pay out the ass in repairs. She's not getting a range rover.

Blarg 09-29-2007 03:15 PM

Sounds like a hard line to oversee, because someone can make very good points mixed in with worthless ones or mistaken ones, so be halfway between being a deluded fanboy and right on the button. And unless you really know the systems in depth to judge, it's not easy to know when stuff strays from true.

GetThere1Time 09-29-2007 03:22 PM

I think it's a fine idea to remove negative fanboyism in most cases. The exception should be if a thread is created specifically to have a smart discussion about 360/Wii/PS3 and even then I think it should be allowed as long as opinions are well constructed.

However, fanboyism has no place in threads where it really isnt related to the topic. If someone makes a Halo 3 topic and a poster comes in says LULZ 360 IS TEH HERP, well then that's certainly pretty pointless and obviously trolling. All that really does is hijack a thread and prevent meaningful discussion.

As a suggestion for a solution, maybe remove that kind of [censored] from other threads an make an **Official Console Wars** thread where people can talk console smack whether it be "YoUr SyStEm SuCkS" or some big long thought out response, then you can just kill all the other fanboyism floating around since you created a place to vent it.

AceLuby 09-29-2007 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a suggestion for a solution, maybe remove that kind of [censored] from other threads an make an **Official Console Wars** thread where people can talk console smack whether it be "YoUr SyStEm SuCkS" or some big long thought out response, then you can just kill all the other fanboyism floating around since you created a place to vent it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this idea, IMO a month to month one would be ideal. I really think we should try to weed out the one line responses, they don't do anything.

4 High 09-29-2007 03:35 PM

I think its a horrible idea, but if it does go forward start with dire and nicholas plz.

Blarg 09-29-2007 05:20 PM

I like the idea. Better to have a focus point for the negativity for people who enjoy it, where they'll naturally gravitate instead of fouling up other threads with it. Seems like a win/win.

stabn 09-29-2007 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think repeated unsupported negative claims should get a warning, but more censorship than that takes away the heart of any good video game forum.

Someone doesn't have to own a system to know something about it. Just because you own a certain console doesn't mean you are more knowledgeable about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dire 09-29-2007 08:22 PM

If this proposal is actually censorship and not just moderating one liners then I strongly oppose it. I'm happy to get rid of the "OMG OMG <SYSTEM> ROX!! LOL" posts, and hijacks/ad-hominem (cough... sharpie) but simply censoring anything that isn't positive is a very bad idea.

AceLuby 09-30-2007 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this proposal is actually censorship and not just moderating one liners then I strongly oppose it. I'm happy to get rid of the "OMG OMG <SYSTEM> ROX!! LOL" posts, and hijacks/ad-hominem (cough... sharpie) but simply censoring anything that isn't positive is a very bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree wholeheartedly.

4_2_it 10-01-2007 01:07 PM

Jared,

You have good judgement. Just outlaw blatant fanboy flaming without defining it and then go Potter Stewart in your approach.

rjoefish 10-01-2007 02:02 PM

Halo3 roolz PS3 droolz!!!!!

tomdemaine 10-02-2007 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Halo3 roolz PS3 droolz!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLZ!! HaVe fuN plAyinG yOu REX (grossman) BOX 3SH*TTY!!