Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Declining false start penalties (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=532928)

SuperUberBob 10-28-2007 01:27 AM

Declining false start penalties

We saw a false start work in the favor of Tennessee when it canceled out a shanked possibly game-tying field goal. They re-tried the kick 5 yards back and made the kick. Tennessee went on to win the game in overtime.

Needle77 10-28-2007 01:30 AM

Re: Declining false start penalties

No, and because False starts happen before anything occurs, so no play has taken place. Nothing to decline.

And about that missed kick who knows the reason he shanked the ball? It could have been referees blowing the whistle and running in that ruined his concentration. We have no idea if he woulda made it otherwise.

Spence 10-28-2007 01:30 AM

My understanding is that as soon as there is a false start the play is whistled dead, therefore there is no play.

JaredL 10-28-2007 01:33 AM

Again, I don't see how this would work since the penalty is before the play starts.

I also think there would be big risk of injury if the defense gets a free play.

Also, as I said before I think you can actually decline the penalty but the rule is that there is no play because it's a dead ball foul. So it's like the timeout when they freeze the kicker. The whistle blew before the ball was snapped so there was no kick in that sense.

jaydub 10-28-2007 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, and because False starts happen before anything occurs, so no play has taken place. Nothing to decline.

And about that missed kick who knows the reason he shanked the ball? It could have been referees blowing the whistle and running in that ruined his concentration. We have no idea if he woulda made it otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Watch the replay, they blew whistles in the middle of the play and he just half assed through the motion.

J

doucy 10-28-2007 01:38 AM

I have seen a false start get declined in the pros. The team was punting, and let the play clock run out to give the punter more room. The defense declined the delay of game penalty. So the punt team lined up again and one of the o-linemen intentionally false started. The defense declined that penalty also.

jstnrgrs 10-28-2007 02:20 AM

I think that there should always be the option to decline penalties. Even if there are penalties on both teams (there are some situations on change of possession plays where this would be desireable).

Not being allowed to decline penalties creats a situation where a team can benefit by comitting a penalty. I don't think this should be allowed.

PokerFink 10-28-2007 02:22 AM

You can decline a false start, but anything that happened during the "play" doesn't count regardless, because the "play" was blown dead and never really happened.

jstnrgrs 10-28-2007 02:22 AM

Let me clarify that I don't think a play should be allowed after the whistle, but declining the penalty and running the next play from the same line of scrimage should be allowed.

Assani Fisher 10-28-2007 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me clarify that I don't think a play should be allowed after the whistle, but declining the penalty and running the next play from the same line of scrimage should be allowed.

[/ QUOTE ]

it is.

106,001 and counting